Original Glass in pre 30s cars

HarryLime

I am seeing amazing original cars coming into the light. Teen or twenties sedans must have plate glass. Would anyone drive a car like that to preserve originality ? For HPOF ? Eight panels of plate glass seems TOO dangerous. Glass is cheap, but time involved is HUGE. What are folks doing with these Amazing originals ? Thanks.

just my thought. If you have an original survivor, most likely the amount of driving is minimal. In addition to the glass, there is probably other safety features, such as lights, wiring, etc that would be a problem. But, I think others will have something to say about preserving the original glass. Also, even 30s did not have safety glass - someone must know the exact year for each manufacturer.

John

Ford started using safety glass in his Model A's in 1928 after a serious accident severly injured one of his chief engineers. Most of the manufactures followed suit shortly after. I would recommend safety glass in any car or truck that is intended to be driven!

Guest bkazmer

safety glass pre-WWII was laminated glass. Today, except for the windshield, almost all cars use tempered glass. A competent glass shop can cut flat laminated glass to fit your car.

Guest Mighty Mouse

I had new glass cut for my 1928 chevrolet and the glazier had the glass sent the away to be tempered. It came back as strong as a timber plank but I was advised never to strike it on its edge or it would shatter.

"Safety Glass" was in windshields early on in the Model A's, but the early V8 cars still had plate glass in the side glass. The 1934 "Standard Model" had still had plate in the doors, side and rear glass. I just changed mine after 8 Glidden Tours when I noticed it in my mostly original car. The "Deluxe" had safety glass all around , dual horns, cowl lights, two tail lights, woodgrain dash and window trim, a cigar lighter, etc, etc. for an additional $45.00. I guess the original owner was cheap. Remember that when you buy a new car, used car buyers want the extras!

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spelling (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Guest heftylefty
The man that invented saftey plate glass never got around to change the glass in his own car...with fatal consenquences.

Anyone who has seen someone in a glass accident will understand the insanity of not replacing all glass with tempered or laminated glass in each and every restoration. I would not drive or ride in a car with untempered plate glass.

There is some country in the former Eastern Bloc where they still made, up until quite recently, a local Fiat copy with non-safety glass. A Google search will show some truly gruesome pictures of wrecks over there.

Guest heftylefty
How does this along with non-lacquer paint and seat belts effects points in judging?

I don't know, but nitrocellulose lacquer is still available in automotive colors although it may not be sold "through automotive distributors". It is used to finish cabinetwork, pianos, and especially guitars. Fender and many Gibson guitars are finished in automotive colors and guitar supply places have it.

The Safety Stutz had safety glass in 1926. It was different from today's safety glass, it had fine wires embedded in the glass to make it shatterproof.

Ford and others followed suit. I am surprised to find Ford using plate glass as late as 1934. I thought all car makers adopted safety glass when it became available.

Please........Use Safety Glass..............don't even think about not using safety glass...

We cannot afford to lose members, or their kids....

...'nuff said?