1920s Car Radio

I read that car radios were invented in 1922. Motorola's site says they sold the first "practical" car radio in 1930, whatever that means.<P>Did any 1929 cars come with a radio installed, such as luxury cars? If not, did rich (or even not so rich) car buysers have them installed?<P>What was the sound quality like?

A friend of mine has a 1929 Packard, definitely a luxury car with a long (145 inch wheelbase) and custom body. It has a built in radio and so far we have found no evidence that any cars with radios preceded that one. As for sound his is working. If you want more info email me and I can get him contact with you.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Sondra,<P>There was an excellent article in the Spring 2000 issue of American Heritage of Invention & Technology about the early development of automobile radios. It was entitled "Radios Hit the Road" by Michael Lamm. They have a website but the only article from that issue NOT on line is the one about car radios. Your local library may have the back issues as well. If you can't find it and are still interested, e-mail me, and I'll see what I can do. Here is a link to their website, anyway. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.americanheritage.com/i&t/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.americanheritage.com/i&t/</A> <P>

• 1 year later...

Hi Ron, <P>The story of your friend having a Packard with a built in radio was quite interesting to me. We are helping a friend research a factory installed dash mounted radio that was supposed to have been in his car. The radio was a Philco Transitone. Do you know what brand is in your friends' Packard? We would love to talk to him direct if possible. We've also seen the same philco radio in the back of a limousine in a 1930's movie on Turner Classic Movies which we are having troubles locating the movie. It was called the Secret of Madam Blanch. <P>Most radios from this era were steering column mounted and had the the tube box mounted under the dash. Very few were actually mounted in the dash. We have 1 picture of the actual radio handle on the dash which had a remote keyed lock. <P>We also heard rumors that this particular radio was installed as an option in the Pierce Arrow of this vintage but haven't been able to confirm this. <P>We look forward to hearing from you. <P>JW

Guest BruceW

Coencidently, I happened to come across a site today that talked about the history of the automobile and a number of car accessories<P>The URL is:<BR> <A HREF="http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blcar.htm#parts" TARGET=_blank>http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blcar.htm#parts</A> <P>I'm not saying whether or not it is accurate but here is what it says about car radios:<P>Car Radio <BR>In 1929, American Paul Galvin, the head of Galvin Manufacturing Corporation, invented the first car radio. The first car radios were not available from carmakers. Consumers had to purchase the radios separately. Galvin coined the name "Motorola" for the company's new products combining the idea of motion and radio

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

An interesting fact:<P>Some early car radios used the "chicken wire" that supports the top as an antenna. <P>I'll bet that reception really sucked without our modern resistor plugs and wires.

Wow, I just got this whole thread. Interesting to see that it's still going, if sporadically. <P>I hadn't known about the 1929 Packard having a radio. What really surprises me is that it works well enough to be used today.<P>I know Galvin didn't invent car radios. I found someone at Motorola who said the 1930 Motorola was the first car radio with good sound and that before that, car radios couldn't really be used while driving because of static, although spark plug suppressors that came out in 1927 helped some. He said that at the end of the '20s, Cadillac and LaSalle dealers sold radios with cars as options and before that they were sold mostly on an individual basis for very rich people. <P>Here's something he emailed me about the design of the original Motorola: "The first Motorola car radio contained three components: the radio receiver,<BR>the speaker, and a separate battery container. In addition, noise suppressor<BR>components were installed on the spark plugs in the engine compartment, and<BR>antenna wire was installed in the roof of the vehicle or in the chassis."

In late 1929 when Jordan built the model Z it had an in dash radio as standard equipement, but do not no the model of radio. The model G was suppose to have had an RCA as an option,1929/31, but have not been able to verify that.

Guest BruceW

Sondra<P>Based on the following information I located, Galvin did technically invent the Motorola Radio.<P>Here is some of the company's history information located at the Motorola Company's site:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.mot.com/content/0,1037,115-280,00.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mot.com/content/0,1037,115-280,00.html</A> <P>Motorola History Overview <P>The company was founded by Paul V. Galvin as the Galvin Manufacturing Corporation, in Chicago, Illinois, in 1928. Its first product was a "battery eliminator," allowing consumers to operate radios directly from household current instead of the batteries supplied with early models. In the 1930s, the company successfully commercialized car radios under the a word suggesting sound in motion. During this period, the company also established home radio and police radio departments; instituted pioneering personnel programs; and began national advertising. The name of the company was changed to Motorola, Inc., in 1947.<P>1928<BR>Paul V. Galvin (1895-1959) and his brother, Joseph E. Galvin (1899-1944), purchase a battery eliminator business in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. They incorporate the Galvin Manufacturing Corporation on September 25,1928.<P>The Galvin Manufacturing Corporation has five employees. The first week's payroll is $63. Assets consist of $565 in cash, $750 in tools and a design for the company's first product, a battery eliminator. Net sales for the year total $63,000, while net earnings come to $6,015.<BR> <BR>Paul Galvin serves as president and his brother, Joseph, serves as vice president. Lillian Galvin, Paul's wife, is secretary and treasurer.<P> Galvin Manufacturing Corporation's first product is a battery eliminator, a device that allows battery-powered radios to run on standard household electric current.<P> The Galvin Manufacturing Corporation rents quarters at 847 West Harrison Street, Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.<P><BR>1930<BR>The first practical and affordable car radio is designed and produced by the Galvin Manufacturing Corporation. The original model 5T71 radio sells for between $110 and $130, and can be installed in most popular automobiles.<P>Galvin Manufacturing Corporation founder Paul V. Galvin coins the name "Motorola" for the company's new carn radio, effectively linking the ideas of "motion" and "sound." Motorola becomes the brand name for Galvin<BR>Manufacturing's products.<P>1947<BR>The Motorola trademark is so widely recognized that the company's name is changed from Galvin Manufacturing Corporation to Motorola, Inc.<P>1948<BR>Two automobile manufacturers, Ford Motor Company and Chrysler Corporation, are supplied with Motorola car radios for factory installation.<P>Based on the information here, because Motorola was not a company until 1947 (it was only the name of the radio at before time), the first practical car radio was developed by the Galvin Manufacturing Corporation.<P>Galvin family members are still involved in the company today.<P>Based on Sondra's own discription of the problems with early 1920s radios, it appears to explain why the company considers their radio considered the first "practical" car radio.<p>[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: BruceW ]

Guest BruceW

JW,<P>There is a history of Philco that contains mention of the Transitone located at:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.oldradio.com/archives/hardware/philco.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.oldradio.com/archives/hardware/philco.htm</A> <P>The brief section on Transitone car radios reads:<P>Part of Philco?s success as a radio manufacturer was the 1930 purchase of the famous Transitone firm, a pioneer in the development of car radios in the United States. With that move, Philco began to pioneer in most of the significant auto radio developments of the time. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps.<P>A little additonal Philco car radio related information:<P>Sales in 1932?when the unemployment rate hit its all time high of 25 percent?plummeted to 600,000 sets, about two-thirds of the 1931<BR>total. Dollar volume was cut in half to $17 million. To make matters worse, in 1942 Philco lost the contract they had with Ford since 1934 to supply them with auto radios. Fortunately, no one was doing much better either and suffered similar losses, leaving Philco at the top of the heap.<BR> Some of the car radio products offered were antennas (Philco introduced the first<BR>telescopic rod antenna in 1934), ignition suppression, circuitry, and electronic components. In 1940, Philco developed and introduced the first car radio in the world incorporating permeability tuning, a standard of the industry until the mid 1980s.<P>A tid bit at the following pertains to difference in name between the car and home radios<BR>: <A HREF="http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/th16.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/th16.htm</A> <P>The "Transitone" name comes from the Transitone Automobile Radio Company, which Philco purchased in 1930. From 1930 to 1938, a Philco Transitone was a car radio.<P>In June 1938 as part of the new 1939 season, Philco introduced two new Transitone home radio models - the TH-1 and the TH-3. The<BR>line of compact, low-priced table models soon expanded to several models. Notice the first several Transitone home models did not<BR>carry the Philco name at all. Later, during the 1940 season, the Philco name was added, making them "Philco Transitone" radios.<p>[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: BruceW ]

Oh, I know Galvin invented Motorola. The person credited with inventing car radios in 1922 is George Frost, but I've never found anything about him but his name. <P>Too bad the Philco information doesn't say when Transitone started making car radios.

If anyone is still interested in this topic, the model of the radio we are searching for is the Transitone 51,000. We found an article dated August 1930 that lists the following cars "Wired to Transitone specifications: Chrysler, Desoto, Dodge, Franklin, Hupmobile, Jordan, Packard, Peerless, Pierce Arrow, Studebaker". So if there's anyone out there with one of these in their 1930 classic automobile, we could use some good pictures or we'd love to hear from you so we can duplicate this radio. (mostly the dial). Also the address listed is "Automobile Radio Corporation, Executive Offices, Chrysler Building, New York City." Thanks!<BR>JW

JW,<P>If you are looking for a reproduction dial, you might want to check with <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/RockSeaEnt" TARGET=_blank>Rock-Sea Enterprises</A>. They make reproduction dial scales for many antique radios. I do not recall any Transitones in the Philco list. Mike is always adding new radios to the list, it often is not up to date with what he has. I may have the schematic and some service information on the Transitone you mentioned. If you would like I will dig through my Philco service data and see if it is there. I know I have many of the early Transitone radios service data.<P>Rich<P>PS: If you contact Mike tell him Rich from <A HREF=http://www.nostalgiaair.org TARGET=_blank>Nostalgia Air</A> sent you.

Hi Rich,<P>Thanks for the info. I checked with Nostalgia Air and it didn't look like he had the stuff for this Transitone Model. Someone else told me it was the Transitone Model 3. I would definitely be interested in anything you have for this radio. Thanks.<BR>JW

Guest De Soto Frank

Sondra et al,<P>I have run across Geo. Frost's name in connection with the "first" car radio in 1922, but don't remember where or when.<P>George Mahon of "Mahon's Vintage Radio" in Calif. may be a source of elightenment.<P>I do recall reading (in 1974)in "Petersens's Ford Book"(I thinks that's the title; it was like a thick magazine) an article about "the first car radio", a Philco (?) outfit in a 1932 or '33 Ford.<P>It consisted of the following components:<BR>A drum-shaped control head which clamped to the steering column,and had a a big knob which selcted the stations and a small "stem" type knob which was the power switch; the speaker was encased in a small wooden cabinet mounted on the firewall under the dash; the receiver was in the trunk, as was a motor/generator unit which furnished the higher "B" voltage for the plate circuits of the tubes (no vibrator "tube" yet!), and the antennas were fastened under the running boards.<P>Sound quality? If a car was parked and near a good signal, the sound was probably ok for the day; while going down the road, particulalry in an open car, I would think the sound would be drowned out by road noise, generator, spark plugs, etc.<P>Radio in general was not "fool-proof" technology to be taken for granted back then; most household sets were either crystal or battery-powered until the late '20s, and required headphones or a high-impedance horn speaker for audio output; the sound from these reproducers is generally "tinny", favoring the "highs" in a given sound.<P>With the advent of AC powered sets, and improvements in microphones, transmitters, detection systems, etc around 1930-33, there were generally great improvements in quality & reliabilty of radio transmission.<P>The "electro-dynamic" speakers of the 1930's & '40's were more responsive, but tended to favor bass toner more, giving that "warm sound" that enthusiasts speak of. And if the power supply filters were "going", an opportunity for "Hum" in the background!<P>Just about all radios made after 1933 utilized the "Superheterodyne" detector circuit, which is still employed today.<BR>This gave better stability when tuning "across the dial", and more consistent reproduction of the sound. The earlier "Tuned Radio Frequency" and "Re-Generative" sets were fussy and unforgiving.<P>Aside from those broader aspects, one of the big enemies of tube-type equipment is physical shock and vibrations, which there was plenty of given pre-WPA roads and primitive suspension systems of cars; there were probably lots of "radio-induced" dead batteries from folks listening to the radio while "parked".<P>Prior to 1930, there weren't the huge number of radio stations that we have today, so your menu of stations in given area were probably limited too.<P>Before the Depression, the car radio was probably more significant as a "bragging factor" than as a practical accesory.<P>A side note, when I purchased my 1948 Chrysler NewYorker, while in college (1987), the ONLY thing that worked, in fact,was the MoPar model 802 radio!(A Philco, I think)<P>BTW, radios were still considered an "optional accesory" into the '60's- particularly in lower-priced cars- Mom's '62 Falcon still proudly(?) wears its "radio-delete" plate!<P>Happy Listening!<P>(Yeah, I've got old radios too!)

• 15 years later...
Guest pepperonikid

i have a steering column radio that i picked up from a friend of mine many many years ago....i have two head controlls that mount on the column while the radio box goes some ware in the car...one head says philco, the other one doesnt say anything....only can use one head,,other one i guess was a spare...it was never put in a car.and in a box...is it worth anything?

Guest SaddleRider
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2002 at 8:52 AM, jpeg1 said:

Hi Ron, <P>The story of your friend having a Packard with a built in radio was quite interesting to me. We are helping a friend research a factory installed dash mounted radio that was supposed to have been in his car....

Of course individual owners started putting radio receivers in their cars as soon as technology permitted it.   Of course some folks would have put  parts of the radio receiving system  wherever their mood suited them...!    ( in those days they were typically a separate cabinet for the amplifying tubes, a separate cabinet for the speaker,   and a separate hi voltage "motor-generator" for the tube's plate voltage.   And all this required controls,   typically a "control head"  with volume, station tuner,  "off-on",   and sensitivity controls  - this could be mounted anywhere in reach - in the dash, steering column, etc.

As for Packard - you can research all you want - here's the facts.

The simple fact is the first year Packard offered  "factory" car radios was  for 1933   production.  They provided a "control head" mounted on the steering column.   The unit offered for 1934 production was identical, except that the control head was now in the dash, (slightly revised in terms of the positioning of the gauges).  In both cases plate voltage was obtained thru a motor-generator,  mounted in the left glove compartment (many folks decided they didn't like that, so you will see some '33 or '34 Packards with otherwise "stock/factory" radio installations, with the motor-generator mounted under the front seat.)

The rapid advance of technology enabled car radio manufacturers to dispense with the motor generator, instead  use a transformer, vibrator, and "0Z-4" circuit for plate voltage - at the moment, I don't recall what year was the change - probably 1937.

Edited by SaddleRider
i like to re check my speelinge... (see edit history)

The problem was the "B+" requirement of vacuum tubes and why there were 9v/90v batteries. Tubes of the time needed high plate voltages and its hard to raise a DC voltage (but easy for AC, too bad they did not have alternators back then. BTW the 1LA6 came out in 1939 (Sylvania) making true portables possible, before that car radios were mostly farm radios (32vdc) packaged to fit a car. 'nother, 'nother hobby. At least we do not need to be concerned about AC/DC radios any more.

GM got into trouble about making it hard for accessory mfrs to add their radios, they were a big profit item (but Delco radios were excellent quality) for the general. Think SEMA got involved and the result was something called a "radio accommodation package". I ordered my '78 Sunbird that way and came with prewired in windscreen antenna and power connections but a "Radio Delete Plate". Like the clock plate they screamed that the owner was too cheap to buy one.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

On 1/10/2002 at 10:05 PM, jpeg1 said:

If anyone is still interested in this topic, the model of the radio we are searching for is the Transitone 51,000. We found an article dated August 1930 that lists the following cars "Wired to Transitone specifications: Chrysler, Desoto, Dodge, Franklin, Hupmobile, Jordan, Packard, Peerless, Pierce Arrow, Studebaker". So if there's anyone out there with one of these in their 1930 classic automobile, we could use some good pictures or we'd love to hear from you so we can duplicate this radio. (mostly the dial). Also the address listed is "Automobile Radio Corporation, Executive Offices, Chrysler Building, New York City." Thanks!<BR>JW

Neat to see such an old thread continued.

Some of the Peerless sales literature mentions Peerlesses in 1930 being wired for the  Transitone radio, though I´ve never seen one installed. My Grandfather Brown told me his 1926 Elcar came with a radio new. He bought it in 1927, I believe, and the car and the radio still exist in the Elcar Museum in Indiana. In NY, a new line of Springfield-bodied Peerlesses was introduced at the 1923-24 Auto Show and Auto Salon. ¨Springfield boasted that it was the first vehicle to include radio as standard equipment." Source: coachbuilt.com

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

As for the “facts” about the Packard radio, the 1929 in question is an individual custom bodied Dietrich built for banker Lloyd W. Smith.  As the car was an individual custom, it was literally designed and built to his specifications. Smith was a technology junkie, so he had Harvard (IIRC) design an in-dash radio.  The entire dash was carefully built around that radio I know this because the car is in my family, and we have done the research.  Oh, and it works. 

• Like 1

In 1930 a radio was a very expensive off the shelf item, and semi common, in 29 a radio was something special but not over the top. You could buy a automotive radio in 1922, but don’t ask the cost................in 1930 many car companies offered radios. I have several 1930 radios in my collection.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, edinmass said:

In 1930 a radio was a very expensive off the shelf item, and semi common, in 29 a radio was something special but not over the top. You could buy a automotive radio in 1922, but don’t ask the cost................in 1930 many car companies offered radios. I have several 1930 radios in my collection.

One also had to upgrade the generator to accommodate the extra battery drain from the radio.  I believe Studebaker recommended an HD generator in their literature when a radio was installed.

Craig

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

One also had to upgrade the generator to accommodate the extra battery drain from the radio.  I believe Studebaker recommended an HD generator in their literature when a radio was installed.

Craig

The early sets had their own battery supply, 42 volts if I remember correctly. I think it was late 30 or early 31 before you could get a radio on the regular 6 volt system. Cadillac made under floor battery compartments for large  cars, and the Coupe and Roadster had the battery box in the rumble seat foot area. Here is the earliest type Cadillac radio head, installed in it’s original face plate. 

A7B1D436-EC89-4984-9F23-2835023A3817.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Here's some pics of a Radio that came out of a 1929 Packard 645. I was told the radio head was custom made to the shape of the Packard Radiator in New York City. I also have the speaker and the tube/amp box besides this head in photo's. It has the original bracket to attach to the steering wheel column and the on/off key and switch.

P.S. I am looking for a radio for a 1930-31 V16 Caddy. We have the radio head in/on the dash, but we need the correct speaker and tube/amp box. Please P.M me if you have these items. Thanks, Jim

MVC-008S.JPG

MVC-009S.JPG

MVC-010S.JPG

MVC-011S.JPG

MVC-012S.JPG

MVC-013S.JPG

MVC-014S.JPG

MVC-015S.JPG

MVC-016S.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Jimmy. Does your head unit look like this ? If so, here is what you are looking for. Roy Lassen, (classicaccessories.org), in Santa Barbara sold this one very quickly about three years ago. Place a want ad in the Self Starter. I think you will have to be rather aggressive 

in beating the bushes searching for one of these. Good luck, man !    -    Cadillac Carl 

EF442899-7FDB-4B37-B434-63F66C79760F.jpeg

99900DE4-6B6D-49FA-B9AC-39C12884A362.jpeg

On 8/2/2019 at 4:42 AM, 8E45E said:

Thanks for posting the photo of that radio dial.  I was wondering what brand of radio was factory installed in this 1931 Studebaker Four Seasons Roadster: 

Craig

Maybe Crosley?

2609283549_9ceb904d91.jpg

1930-1931 Cadillac used three different radio set ups. All very rare. The one I posted is the earliest style.......I have seen two of them in forty five years, then there is the second style. The dials go in the same place as the one I posted, except they are smaller and have the Cad-LaSalle logo on them. The third style I have seen I am not sure if it is correct. Looks more 32-33 to me. Don Scott in Texas is THE radio guy when it comes to early Cadillac.

The install on the Packard Convertible is very well done, and I have never seen anything like it before. The custom Packard head is fantastic. Very neat item. Considering the cost of the radio...........and labor was 35 cents an hour, it makes sense to see so talented and time consuming installations. More neat radios/installs please!

• 2 months later...

Some very cool stuff in this thread!  I've been looking to get a radio for my 36 P2.  Would the control heads for these radios be interchangeable?  Could I use a Motorola control head with a Philco box?  They are hard to find, but options open up if they can work across brands.

• 3 years later...

From what I have read, the Transitone of 1927 was the first car radio that could be listened to while driving.  A/C Delco installed their first radio in a 1929 Cadillac.  Philco acquired Transitone, and Galvin began Motorola in 1930.

I have the insides "guts" out of a RCA  Transit 6 tube radio if anyone wants it for parts.I kept the box it was in and installed a modern transistor radio in it and connected my radio head to it. I wired it to a six volt power wire where the batteries were and it works. The old tube unit needs repairing ,it makes a humming noise and gets hot, but if anyone wants it let me know.Thanks.just pay shipping from Florida.