1920s Car Radio

11 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

I have the insides "guts" out of a RCA  Transit 6 tube radio if anyone wants it for parts.I kept the box it was in and installed a modern transistor radio in it and connected my radio head to it. I wired it to a six volt power wire where the batteries were and it works. The old tube unit needs repairing ,it makes a humming noise and gets hot, but if anyone wants it let me know.Thanks.just pay shipping from Florida.

Is it like this one?  IMG_2023-07-11-08-17-27-564.jpg.2ecdf15a2f1ea867fd60bf353b75c109.jpg

2 hours ago, Buick35 said:

I'm heading south to FL maybe I could just pick it up?  I'm thinking if I go to make mine work the parts could come in handy.  As for modern tunes a Bluetooth speaker is hard to beat these days.

14 hours ago, fmlondon said:

From what I have read, the Transitone of 1927 was the first car radio that could be listened to while driving.  A/C Delco installed their first radio in a 1929 Cadillac.  Philco acquired Transitone, and Galvin began Motorola in 1930.

Listening to a modern car radio in a late 1920s or early 1930s car is not very practical due to all the background noise unless you have it really cranked up loudly. Early radios had very poor sound quality and amplification which would make them pretty useless to hear while driving. The radio was used most often after the car’s engine was switched off.

Just trying to set the scene which is quite different from the in vehicle radio today.

9 hours ago, swab said:

I'm heading south to FL maybe I could just pick it up?  I'm thinking if I go to make mine work the parts could come in handy.  As for modern tunes a Bluetooth speaker is hard to beat these days.

That sounds good,I'm about a mile and a half from an I-95 exit in Pt. St. John,that's just south of Titusville and West of Cocoa Beach on the east coast.Let me know.Greg 321 877-2497.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 5:06 AM, Buick35 said:

I have the insides "guts" out of a RCA  Transit 6 tube radio if anyone wants it for parts.I kept the box it was in and installed a modern transistor radio in it and connected my radio head to it. I wired it to a six volt power wire where the batteries were and it works. The old tube unit needs repairing ,it makes a humming noise and gets hot, but if anyone wants it let me know.Thanks.just pay shipping from Florida.

I know someone who might be interested, seriously interested if it's what he needs. 
Do you have any photos? Feel free to PM them to me if you'd rather.

Thanks

Dave

• 3 months later...