2012 BCA 500 National Meet Info

Guest CarolinaBuick2012

Colin - if I may make a suggestion, there is always something to see. I would try to start with an idea of what the family is interested in. I know with my children, eventually they get bored of historic sites. Then again, if there is a pool / waterslide at the hotel we spend the night at, they tend to forgive me. Also, if natural beauty / landscapes is the thing, then perhaps look at scenic roadways or similar along the way. Another thing I like to do is to lay out approximately how far I want to go, then do an Internet search on the vicinity (i.e. pick a town / city that has an appropriate place to spend the night and see what's there...if nothing interests you check the next town).

Good luck.

Did someone say vineyard? (hic)

• 4 weeks later...

Another month another update

We gained only 3 more registrations in the past month, but 8 additional cars. So 40 registered with 36 cars. I'm not surprised registrations have slowed down as most people wait until the last minute, but for planning purposes if the earlier you can make your plans the better please. The oldest car registered so far is a 1932; the newest, a 1996.

The hotel has been filling up quickly. A few statistics:

48% of room block is full

peak night room block is 42% full

peak night, BCA has booked 1/3 of the entire hotel

So get your room booked soon, 704-455-8200 is the direct line to the host hotel.

We now have confirmation that the showfield on Saturday will be inside the 1.5 Mi Charlotte Motor Speedway in the areas surrounding the cup and Nationwide garage buildings. Maps are available on our website 2012 Buick Club of America 500 at Concord, NC National Meet.

The other big news is Mr. Earl's 5454th post on the BCA Forum http://forums.aaca.org/f115/5454-310730.html inviting all 1954 Buick's to the 2012 National meet with a goal of 54-'54s at the meet visit 1954 Buick Highway - Welcome to the 1954 Buick Highway! for more information.

We also have a few limited edition 2012 polo's still available. Contact me for more info.

I'm going to try to have 2 cars there next year.

Brian, Great job on the events and tours! Very affordable in most cases!

One question, does the BBQ joint offer kids meals? (and for what ages?)

The BBQ barn sounds like a perfect follow up to Jewel.

Nice Job!

Lets start our caravan from Cincinnati plan. I would like to bring 2 cars as well. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Monthly Update!

Registrations are up to 45 with 39 cars. The host hotel continues to fill and is now.

55% of the Friday night room block booked

42% of the entire hotel in total Friday night is booked to the BCA

64% of the total room block is full.

Direct line to the host hotel Embassy Suites is 704-455-8200

We still have some 2012 Polo shirts left I can deliver to Hershey next week if you want one (or more). See above posts for photos, sizes and price.

Below my local AACA Chapter visited Oehler Barn, our Friday Night BBQ Buick Heritage Alliance Cookout location. Below are some photos from that event.

Finally thanks to Stealthbob for putting together this YouTube video promoting the 36-37-38 Buick 75th Anniversary Event in cooperation with the 36-38 BCA Division. If you are interested in joining the 36-38 Division an application is below.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BfRsyDp8vX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

post-53096-14313867963_thumb.jpg

post-53096-143138679636_thumb.jpg

post-53096-143138679642_thumb.jpg

post-53096-143138679647_thumb.jpg

post-53096-143138679653_thumb.jpg

36-38 member application.pdf

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

OK here is the monthly status update... a few days late.

Two more cars are registered, so we have 41 cars on 48 registrations.

As for the Host Hotel:

71% of the Friday night room block is booked

54% of the entire hotel in total Friday night is booked to the BCA

77% of the total room block is booked.

Thank you Brian....

For all those '54 owners out there...let me bump this vid:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5AVKRTX0UK8?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZoAXyrHLJkI?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

OK we are up to 49 cars and 57 registrants. So we picked up 8 cars this past month which is very good. Compared to the previous few meets, registrations were not at these levels until February. So hopefully this is signs of a large attendance of Buicks.

As for the Host Hotel we added 100 more rooms to the block , but despite that we are now at

81% of the Friday night room block is booked

67% of the entire hotel in total Friday night is booked to the BCA

82% of the total room block is booked.

Unfortunately I do need to inform everybody that zMax Dragway has canceled the Drag and Brag Series for 2012. This means we will not get to race our Buicks on the 4 wide strip. I know some will be disappointed with this news and unfortunately it is not something within our control as we were planning on using this event in lieu of renting the track, which is rather costly and presents problems with BCA's insurance provider.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Carlisle Rick

Sounds like an awesome event! Hope I can be there to check it out (especially the HMS tour). It's the week after the GM Nationals (June 22-24) so perhaps I can get my stuff cleaned up after the show and head down there. I'll try!

I'll also offer an invitation for some special treatment at the GM Nationals to any Buick owner that would like to do both events. I'll provide the BCA with a club tent at no charge so all of you can gather together and enjoy the GM Nationals and finalize your plans for the cruise down to Charlotte.

Let me know if you are interested so I can begin to make plans and get your tent ordered. If you are, we are offering an additional $5 discount off the registration through midnight (EST) 12/31. If you cannot commit at this time, I'll hold that $5 discount for BCA members through 01/31/12. Just be sure to contact me by phone or email (RickM@CarlisleEvents.com) for your registration info before 01/31/12.

Best Wishes to one and all for a Happy & Healthy 2012!

Rick

Monthly update: We are up to 54 cars and 65 registrants. So we picked up 5 cars this past month which is good.

As for the Host Hotel we are now at

92% of the Friday night room block is booked

76% of the entire hotel in total Friday night is booked to the BCA

95% of the total room block is booked.

I've also received a couple inquiries about storing cars in the Charlotte area around the event time frame. Apparently there is an AACA show in TN a few weeks earlier and also some people are considering sending the car ahead. There are probably numerous options related to storage of cars or cars and trailers at or near the 2012 National Meet location. I guess it depend on the requirements of the car owner (i.e. must be indoors, security, free vs. pay, proximity to the host location, etc, etc) So call me and we'll see what you need and start utilizing the local Buick network to see what options can work for you. I do ask that you contact me as early as possible as the closer to the meet the less time I will have to help.

I will note publicly on this forum that there is a car storage location near by called the Autobarn. Their website is AutoBarn Classic Cars : AutoBarn Classic Cars. They also sell cars on consignment which is their primary business. They are in a portion of a large old textile mill and the space for storage of cars is indoors, climate controlled and spacious. Obviously this is not a free storage option and I believe they charge $100-$120 per month per car. I assume you could probably negotiate shorter terms. The Carolina BCA and Carolina GSGN clubs just held a combined Christmas party at the Autobarn. I could inquire with the manager for some sort of BCA rate but I honestly think all that if an interested individual mentioned it was specifically related to the BCA and this event they would take good care of you without any help from me. I understand this option may not be at all what SOME people would want to do for storage but it is an option I can publicly offer on the forum.

And in case anyone care no one with the Carolina Chapter, etc has any interest in the business they are completely independent.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brian,

Lookin' good.

I stopped by the 2012 website today to double check event times.

You guys n gals doing a great job .

The "frequently asked questions" actually answered my questions.

Confirming travel times this week and sending in registration this weekend.

Double checking one question. $35.00 BCA Member entry fee is for both member and spouse/guest?

I know the answer, but checking for a friend:rolleyes:.

Poured Concrete outside at the Ol' Phillips 66 today.

Today's temp in Iowa 55 F.

Regards,

R. Y.

Edited by RICK YOUNG (see edit history)

When I made my reservation last week I got Thurs and Fri night for the BCA $129 rate but had to cough up $179 for Saturday night. Somethin about it being the last room and is a corner room. So wtf difference does that make. Still scratchin my head about that one. Not complainin, just wonderin....

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

When I made my reservation last week I got Thurs and Fri night for the BCA $129 rate but had to cough up $179 for Saturday night. Somethin about it being the last room and is a corner room. So wtf difference does that make. Still scratchin my head about that one. Not complainin, just wonderin....

I'll see what I can find out. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

We kinda had a run on booking some of the rooms over at 54Buick and now I believe there are no more BCA Rate rooms left for the Friday?

The BCA room block at the hotel is very very full. The hotel itself has about 50 rooms left but they are not in the BCA room block at this time. I hope to have an announcement on the hotel situation no later than Friday night.

I guess this goes under the "good problems" column eh?

Sounds like this will be a very well attended National, very excited as it will be my first.

Bob,

Certainly I'd rather be dealing with this than the opposite (not having enough people booking rooms), but I don't like "problems" of any kind. :o

Guest CarolinaBuick2012
The BCA room block at the hotel is very very full. The hotel itself has about 50 rooms left but they are not in the BCA room block at this time. I hope to have an announcement on the hotel situation no later than Friday night.

Alright here is the latest.

The host hotel, Embassy Suites, is completely sold out on Friday night of the event weekend. The BCA has 265 or so rooms of the 308, the rest belong to general guests. So any rooms booked (on Friday) from here out will be due to some one cancelling.

I had hope to be able to announce a BCA rate at an alternate hotel by today, but we're just not quite there yet. We have been negotiated with a hotel and have an agreement in principle, but just have to dot the i's and cross the t's on the contract. As soon as the BCA rate at the alternate hotel is available, we will let everyone know. We were caught a little off guard thinking we could get more rooms blocked at the host hotel not realizing they had booked so many to general guests. Our fault for this little hiccup but hopefully it should be resolved quickly and will only be a minor inconvenience.

Besides this alternate hotel that we are negotiating with there are about 7 or 8 additional hotels within a half mile of the host hotel having 1400 rooms so there is plenty of hotel space.

Thanks for the understanding and thanks everybody for planning to come, we do take this as a good sign that this will be a nicely attended meet!

OK here is a fun update.

In the race between the Divisions we have

Riviera's and Reatta's tied for the lead with 8 registered cars each

'36-'38 Division with 5

1959 Division with 3

and

1954 Buick Highway with 2

Still along way to go to the finish line!

I'm booked at Springhill Suites in Concord. Reasonable rates and 2 miles form the Speedway. Just finalizing my form to send to you Brian! Looking forward to meeting all you guys there!

Brian,

I guess I missed the Division contest. Is the Pre-War Division included? None yet regustered. Of course, this begs the question. Does the registration of a 36-37-38 count as part of that group and the PWD. Afraid this may be difficult competition to measure. Just wondering?

John

Brian,

I guess I missed the Division contest. Is the Pre-War Division included? None yet regustered. Of course, this begs the question. Does the registration of a 36-37-38 count as part of that group and the PWD. Afraid this may be difficult competition to measure. Just wondering?

John

There is no REAL contest. I guess it started with the '36-'38 Division wanting to get the 58 different models from those three years in attendance and then see the prior discussions where the '54 Buick Highway folks (Mr. Earl , Stealthbob, et al) said they were going to get 54 -'54 Buick and then Brian Clark said the '59 Division needs to get 59 Buicks to the event and Marck made mention of needing a large number of Reatta's.

It's all just fun (and bragging rights) and actually the Riv's and the '54's aren't event true BCA Divisions (but we still love 'em!!)

That said the remaining divisions not mentioned PreWar has 11 cars (including the 36-38's so far). Modified has 5, 53-54 Skylark has 1, and the BDE has.... I have no earthly idea...let's count the drivers class towards BDE though this is not an accurate representation, so 3.

So I guess PreWar leads.

I think that just means the Pre-War folk are better planners.

I got my hotel registration last week (paying regular price / non BCA rate) 'cuz I lollygagged.

I SHOULD mail Roy my registration, but knowing me I'll wait.

I will be "display only"....start a new category Brian. ;)

Guest CarolinaBuick2012

UPDATE:

The host hotel for the 2012 BCA National is SOLD OUT. Unless someone cancels there are no more rooms available in this hotel.

The overflow hotel is directly adjacent to the host hotel, approximately 600 ft from the front door to the BCA Registration area in the host hotel. See the attached aerial photo with notes.

The overflow hotel information is

Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte/Concord

7611 Scott Padgett Pkwy

Concord, NC 28027

(704) 453-2600

www.marriott.com/Concord

ROOM RATES - $129 for Monday-Thurs &, Sun, & $99 for Fri-Sat.

No breakfast or cocktails included like Embassy.

Free Wireless Internet included

It is recommended you contact the hotel directly via the number above and not via their 800 reservation line or website. Their 800 reservation line does not have the details on the $99 Friday-Saturday rate.

Also attached is a list of all the other hotels on the same exit as the host hotel, but we do not have room blocks at any of these.

post-76965-143138808001_thumb.jpg

Hotel Listing.pdf

Edited by CarolinaBuick2012 (see edit history)

I like that Auxiliary parking lot...Looks like close to 400 spaces? Maybe room for all classes (including driven/modified/reattas) on the same side of the hotel?

Yeah I thought about that but on Saturday the show field is just down the block at the Speedway that way we have plenty space, cause we didn't want to risk being cramped. At the speedway we could fit more cars than Flint in 2003, but I predict we will be somewhere closer to Batavia in 2005 (which was still a lot).

Before Saturday we will have a show car parking area at the host hotel with restricted movement so that the cars stay safe.

Guest sintid58

We have booked our rooms but at this time there's some doubt if we can make it or not. Really looking forward to driving the 55 out but both Tina and I are possibly going to have surgery this summer. Hers is same day but mine not. I may be off work for up to 6 weeks and that puts a strain on the budget. We may try to get a load to the Charlotte area and spend a couple days so we are keeping the rooms for now. Save me a big parking spot if we come in the truck.