2012 BCA 500 National Meet Info

Guest CarolinaBuick2012

Thanks Brian and Roy! I will scan it and sent it to you at the email address. That works for me! BTW, how far are the Springhill Suites from the meet. That is where I ended up staying. Thanks.

Thanks Brian and Roy! I will scan it and sent it to you at the email address. That works for me! BTW, how far are the Springhill Suites from the meet. That is where I ended up staying. Thanks.

About 1/2 mile from the host hotel and 1.5mi from the showfield. There is a traffic light for an easy left toward each.

Edited by 38Buick 80C
edit typo 1/5 versus 1.5 miles. (see edit history)

Okay so last month we had 54 cars on 65 Registrations

NOW

68 cars on 89 Registrations.

BCA 400 Point: 38

Display Only: 14

Archival: 7

Modified: 5

Drivers: 4

Senior: 12 (count incl in 400 pt total)

Oldest car registered so far a 1929 Roadster being driven from Ontario (Canada not California), the newest a 2008 Enclave.

Hope we can get some Brass and 20's cars, it would be really neat if we could have from 1908 to 2008 represented. No vehicles registered for Class K yet either, 61-67 A bodies, but we have an unrestored '64 Skylark (that's an A-body, right???) in the Archival class. It's a one owner car and until about a year ago still had the original valve cover gaskets in place, neat car. Same with Class Q (GN, GNX, Turbo Regal), but we have one in Archival. No race cars yet but I have verbal confirmation that a few will be attending towards the new class. Every other class has at least one vehicle registered.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so excited for this year's meet! Fingers crossed that we'll be driving Naomi up to my hometown area. She won't look like much, but should be rock n' an rolling mechanically. My hometown is Kings Mountain which is about 30 miles west of Charlotte/Concord. It's a great small town with an absolutely beautiful state and national military park. old 74 is a fun drive especially going west towards Asheville.

I'm bias of course, having grown up there, but I encourage anybody that is interested to visit some places in the area. There's a historical museum, state and national military park (yep, the Patriots' success at the Battle of Kings Mountain was one of the crucial turning points in the Revolutionary War) and a fantastic restaurant. And just a little west of K.M., there's another town called Shelby that's pretty cool and that's where my parents grew up. The Don Gibson Theater is there and they have some cool shows AND there's one of the last real drive-in theaters called The Sunset. I used to go there all the time when I was younger. It's definitely a must! and last but not least, anybody that has time should really try to make it out to Asheville, like Lamar mentioned. It is very cool drive and that town is awesome. The Biltmore is simply outstanding.

here are some links with more info:

Kings Mountain Historical Museum

Kings Mountain State Park

Battleground Steakhouse & Bar

Don Gibson Theater

The Sunset Drive-In (they're in the off season right now, but should be updating there show schedule in the spring)

Send an full size picture so we can make you think you are there!LOL!

At my former employer we had an executive that lived in CA but had an office in our Charlotte headquarters. He came to Charlotte a few days a month. When he wasn't there we had a cardboard photo cut out of his head taped to his desk chair... We referred to the photo as "cardboard Kirk".

We need cardboard Thriller. I'm sure we could come up with some entertaining photos to post to the forum with cardboard Thriller!!

At my former employer we had an executive that lived in CA but had an office in our Charlotte headquarters. He came to Charlotte a few days a month. When he wasn't there we had a cardboard photo cut out of his head taped to his desk chair... We referred to the photo as "cardboard Kirk".

We need cardboard Thriller. I'm sure we could come up with some entertaining photos to post to the forum with cardboard Thriller!!

We did that too, with our big boss, it was always good for some laughs!! Derek you could go where no Manitoban has gone before!!

Guest CarolinaBuick2012

Here is your friendly monthly update

Last month we had 68 cars on 89 Registrations

NOW

91 cars on 119 Registrations.

BCA 400 Point: 49

Display Only: 19

Archival: 9

Drivers: 9

Senior: 16 (count incl in 400 pt total)

For comparison sake this is quite a few more cars and total registrations than the previous few National meets have had at the same point (either by date or weeks to go). We are certainly taking this as a sign that we have a good chance of getting to our 500 car / the biggest show since Flint in 2008 goal.

No change on oldest car registered, still a 1929 Roadster being driven from Ontario (Canada not California), and the newest, a 2008 Enclave.

For those following the 36-38 Anniversary Event we have (8) '36-'38 Buicks registered at this time. All are uniquely different models so far. I have verbal confirmation from owners on another (13) different unique models, so that should be a nice turn out of those cars.

Good news for the "Go Fast with Class" crowd. zMax Dragway has reinstated the "Drag and Brag Series" for 2012. Bad news, sorta, is that they moved it from Wednesday to Friday night, so it conflicts with the Buick Heritage Alliance Oehler Barn BBQ. So for those that don't remember this is an open to public chance to take your street car down the 4 lanes wide "Bellagio of drag strips", zMax Dragway from 5PM to 9PM Friday night. This not an BCA event but just something that is happening a 1/4mi from the host hotel that those attending can participate in if they so choose.

Edited by CarolinaBuick2012 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Here is your friendly monthly update

Last month we had 68 cars on 89 Registrations

NOW

108 cars on 145 Registrations.

BCA 400 Point: 60

Display Only: 23

Archival: 9

Drivers: 11

Senior: 18 (count incl in 400 pt total)

We are still doing really good on registration counts compared to the previous meets, so don't miss out on the Really Big Show!!!

Only 7 weeks until the registration deadline and the meet is less than 90 days away. As is typical everyone is waiting until the last minute to register.

how do i join the buick club

If you are coming to Autofair in a few weeks stop by and see us in the Pavilion display (Nationwide garage building) which features Buicks this year and we will have an table their about the club and the meet.

Hope to meet you soon! Semper Fi!

Cpl,

First, thanks for your service and welcome to the BCA Forum. Providing tips for showing your car would take quite some time. as the Auto Fair is just around the corner, I asume that is what you are talking about entering. Or possible the BCA National Meet in June. I think this meet is also is an AACA event that requires AACA membership and pre-registration. I think the local BCA chapter will welcome you for their "show within a show", which is, I believe on Sunday. You should check their web site and some threads on this forum for details. Also, I hope you could find someone around Charlotte that can give you some tips. The BCA National Meet also requires pre-registration and you can find that info on their special web site also linked in this forum.

John

John

ty so much i am gunna put my skylark in it

but i have never been in a car show any tips

OK I saw in your other post you have a 72 Skylark. I interpreted you meant you wanted to come to the National here in Concord in June. First tip is choosing the right class. Tell us some more about your Skylark. What kind of condition is it in. Is it authentically correct or does it have some modifications. Is it a show car is it a driver is it completely unrestored never been touched?

One we help you find the right class for you. The national meet is a big event and best experienced by joining the fun the most you can. go on the tours, visit the all Buick flea market and then Saturday's car show is the culmination.

Also on our event website we have frequently asked questions and answers as well as a guide for first time to a national meet. These are more nuts and bolt procedural type stuff but worth checking out.

I am the local chapter direct for Charlotte. Our chapter website is Carolina Chapter - Buick Club of America your welcome to contact me directly my phone and email are all over the BCA site, the event site and the Carolina site.

As you go to NASCAR Technical Institute I am going to assume you are generally familiar with the Speedway and the area, so won't be too many questions on that.

As for John's comments on our Sunday Autofair show Aprill22, we have a limtied number of vehicle passes and they have all been claimed, but you can stop by and say hello on Sunday or we will be in the Pavilion display (Nationwide garage) Thursday-Sunday too.

Guest cplhargettusmc

as far as i know its never been restored it does have craigers on it and a little rust around the vinal top drive it dailey its all numbers matching

as far as I know its never been restored it does have craigers on it and a little rust around the vinal top drive it dailey its all numbers matching

Dawson,

Based on your comments I am thinking either

1. "Modified Driven Class" (due to the wheels, which would prevent the car from getting a regular (non-modified) Driven Class award.

Or you could go

2. Display only which you would display the car with all the other cars )in a class of similar years and models), but would receive no trophies or anything like that.

I don't recommend 400 pt based on the fact that it is a daily driver and with the wheels you will no doubt lose some points and may not qualify for a trophy, but the car looks pretty nice in your profile picture. Perhaps some more photos will help us help you.

I also think the wheels would again make the car ineligible to win the archival (unrestored original) award.

Also personally I have nothing against your wheels and think they look good on your car. I'm just advising you as to what the BCA Judging rules are, so there are no misinterpretations of expectations. If you'd like to read the judging manual it is available online here: http://www.buickclub.org/BCA%20JUDGING%20MANUAL/BCAjudgingrev2.pdf

Also I am no expert on judging matters, so others please chime in so we can help Dawson. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The Pre-war after tour is organized by the Pre-war Division and starts Sunday after the national meet. It is a really neat tour. Below are the details. If you plan on participating you need to contact Dean Tryon ASAP, his info is below.

Brian DePouli

PWD Tour Overview

Sunday 7/1/12

• Depart Embassy Suites with BDE

• Visit NC Music Hall of Fame in Kannapolis

• Lunch in Salisbury with BDE

• BDE continues north

• PWD continues west to Mooresville & the host hotel (Fairfield Inn by Marriott)

• Dinner on your own – several restaurants within walking distance from hotel

• Tour “The Point” after supper, exclusive residential development on Lake Norman

• Total about 62 mi

Monday 7/2/12

• Drive to Lazy 5 ranch and take a 3.5 mi, 45 min wagon ride thru hundreds of exotic animals that are roaming free.

• Return to Mooresville, lunch at a downtown drive-in “What A Burger”

• Afternoon on your in downtown historic Mooresville with dozens of shops, old time hardware, Veterans Coffee shop, antique shops, wall murals, etc.

• Dinner is a cookout at the home of Bob Amon, noted car enthusiast near downtown Mooresville

• Outdoor movie Great American Race set up for us and town residents by Bob Amon

• Total about 24 mi

Tues 7/3/12

• Drive to Murrays Mill for a private tour of an operating water driven mill with adjacent old store.

• Drive to Memory land Motorsports & Historical Auto Museum

• Choice of nearby lunch spots including a Sonic drive-in

• Tour of NASCAR Technical Institute – training of pit crews, mechanics etc for both NASCAR and other professions.

• Tour of Penske Race Shop

• Dinner at a typical southern BBQ restaurant - Lancasters

• Fireworks show near hotel

• Total about 66 mi

Wed 7/4/12

• Drive to Troutman, NC - just north of Mooresville – 10 mi from hotel

• Participate in 4th of July parade

• Depart for home in afternoon

Host Hotel info:

• Fairfield by Marriott

• Reservations - 704-663-6100

• 12 rooms reserved as “Buick Club PreWar” at $84/night

• Located at 120 Consumer Square Dr, off #150 at exit 36 on I-77.

• Large trailer paring area

• Walking distance to restaurants and shops

Interest?

• If you have a possible interest, please let me know so we can plan

• Provide cell phone numbers and spouses also please.

Thanks.

Dean Tryon 919-562-4660 DGTryon2516@gmail.com

May I ask a question about registration for the meet?

I have found that I am unable to make it to Charlotte, although a small window of opportunity still exists for me to go. Since I am certain I cannot make it however, I was just thinking of registering for the meet without a car, so I could be supportive in some regard, and at least be listed as part if the small window becomes a reality.

So here's the question:

If I did register and purchased a T shirt, could I get the registration packet, goody bag ( if any) and my T shirt shipped to me, if I also agreed to pay for the shipping? And just for information sake, can I get an estimate on the shipping costs for said items to zip code 12302?

Thanks

John D,

If the registration id completed, I would be gladto pick up and deliver your packet. or perhaps one of you chapter members that would be closer.

John

John, Thank you so much! I really appreciate this. I don't know if anyone else from my Chapter is going to the National or not. I'll be sending in my Registration right away.

John D,

I have no problem with shipping anyone their registration packet, goody bag etc if they are paying the shipping. That said I'd need an email that you want this and need a shipping quote. Also I'd need to know ASAP once you know you're not coming preferably in advance of the meet, not after as I make no guarantees after the meet ends.

With regards to the shirt. That presents an "opportunity" as the merchandise with the exception of the limited edition polos have been outsourced....so I'd have to work something out with the merchandiser. I don't think it is an issue, just more complex. I'll email you John D.

Next picking up someone else's packet. I'll need a email stating who your packet can be released to. I think that is fair and reasonable to avoid mass confusion.

Tent on the showfield, yes that is fine, with a few caveats. Note there is not gobs of space so the tent may need to be over your car slightly if it is a big tent (even if it is a small tent in some cases). NO HOLES IN THE PAVEMENT are allowed so you must provide your own methods of securing it down. If it is particularly windy, the host chapter will error on the side of safety and ask you to take down your tent if we don't think it is secure enough and risks being blown into another car. Again this is fair and reasonable to most I would think. Also the garage buildings themselves will be unoccupied (basically) with all the doors open to allow the breeze to flow through and provide shade, so bring some chairs and sit in their, no tent required.

Hope that helps.

I have a question regarding the swap meet.. What will the hours be? Where will it be located (inside and outside spaces)? I'm contemplating getting a space, but not sure if I will have time to man my stand.

Thanks!

The outdoor flea market will be int he west parking lot of the hotel basically as close to the hotel as possible, nearest the "Convention North Entrance". This is right by the hospitality room (Carolina Rooms). The indoor flea market is in the northwest corner of the hotel, across the hall from hospitality.

Regarding tents on the showfield; Can the car be judged appropriately if under a tent or canopy? I judged in the Phoenix, AZ meet which was held in a parking garage and proper lighting was a major issue. I have never seen a car judged at a BCA event while under a tent or canopy before. Perhaps someone associated officially with judging can comment on that issue.

Regarding tents on the showfield; Can the car be judged appropriately if under a tent or canopy? I judged in the Phoenix, AZ meet which was held in a parking garage and proper lighting was a major issue. I have never seen a car judged at a BCA event while under a tent or canopy before. Perhaps someone associated officially with judging can comment on that issue.

Good point, I hadn't considered that.