2012 BCA 500 National Meet Info

Guest CarolinaBuick2012

What about spectators?

I have talked to a couple of people that are not BCA members that are interested in seeing all the Buicks; I haven’t seen any information about them getting into the track?

I guess my question is, will they be allowed in the speedway and will there be any fees?

5 '53 syklark's

3 '54 Skylarks

39 36-38's

Spectators are ABSOLUTELY WELCOME. Like everyone else they should come in via the main entrance to the track at the intersection of Bruton Smith Blvd and Concord Pkwy (Hwy 29) and follow the signs around to the backstraight tunnel. Spectators will have to sign the speedway's waiver form and then can come inside and parking the visitor parking area (there will be signage) and then wander among all the Buicks. There is no fee for general spectators.

Also keep in mind we are only using the track on Saturday spectators on other days should come to the host hotel.

5 '53 syklark's

3 '54 Skylarks

39 36-38's

Spectators are ABSOLUTELY WELCOME. There is no fee for general spectators.

Also keep in mind we are only using the track on Saturday spectators on other days should come to the host hotel.

Take note folks!

39 36-37-38's is stunning.......were you able to get every model, I can't imagine how rare that would be?

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

Forty-Eight.... so not quite what was in Monterrey, but still a tremendous turnout.

I have three more drivable Rivieras here at the house if you are just looking for numbers. I didn’t register them, not enough drivers, and didn’t want the fees, but if you want numbers and can get drivers I can see if I can get them there.

28 Reattas.

Randall,

Obviously I always want more cars and more people, more cars more people = more fun for everyone. At this point the showfield is setup so unless there are spare spaces in the class, cars from here out will be parked in a special display area for those late registrant display only vehicles.

Matt,

I know a professional hauler that might have some room, but as he hauls for a living there will be a charge, so if you can not get a forum member to haul them for whatever you can arrange, I could see what he would charge you and that might depend on how close you can get to I-81.

John

I received this from Steele Rubber today

We’ve had a few phone calls from BCA members already. Please let your folks know…if they would like to purchase any parts while visiting us next week, we will offer a 10% Discount to BCA members on parts. Members can call ahead to place their order and have it ready for them when they arrive. Our toll free number is 800-447-0849.

Matt,

I know a professional hauler that might have some room, but as he hauls for a living there will be a charge, so if you can not get a forum member to haul them for whatever you can arrange, I could see what he would charge you and that might depend on how close you can get to I-81.

John

Thanks John, worked everything out and all is good. Will have my rims and tires after the meet is over. Matt:D

A few miscellaneous details

1. Construction update. Interstate 85 is under construction on both sides of the exit the meet is off of. Basically from Exit 46 (gets tight at 48) to just south of Exit 58 is where the action is. The hotel and speedway are at Exit 49. Hwy 29 (Tryon St /Concord Parkway) can be used as an alternate, but it's a lot of stop lights in a couple areas (either from the north or from the south). I've driven it several times this week. It's actually no narrower than it was pre-construction, but the slow lane is on the repaved shoulder. I could see it being a little nerve racking in the old iron. Speeds through the construction zone were moving at well well above posted limits, near normal flow speeds. I think they are also working on the bridge way up near exit 85 or so on I-85, but I haven't been that way in a while. No other construction on I-77 or I-85 south of town within 2 hours drive time. I haven't been on I-40 so not sure, but I-40 has been a rather bumpy uncomfortable stretch of road for a while. The Buick's should float over the bumps, but just an FYI.

2. Traffic - As with most major cities we have rush hour. The evening rush hour is the worst and probably would affect most coming into town. The good news is, it's way better than Atlanta, or DC traffic and it should only affect guests coming in from the south. I advise trying to get to the hotel before 4:30P if you are coming north from/through Columbia or Atlanta. If you do get caught in it I advising ducking off the interstate at either exit 45A or 46A to hop over to Hwy 29 north. You'll miss most of the traffic lights on 29 this way (versus getting on 29 at Exit 42 or 43) and if you get all the way to Exit 48 (I-485) you might as well go that last mile in the traffic as it moves, just slowly. Keep in mind due to the construction above it's a bit more nerve racking than regular traffic too. If you are coming southbound on I-85 you should be fine and not have much of a rush hour to deal with maybe some heavy volume near exit 60 or so. If you are coming south on I-77 and plan to go all the way down to 85 and back up than yeah you'll hit it on the way back up. There are several country back roads between I-77 and I-85 and various ways to avoid going all the way down and back.

3. The hotel is giving all BCA guests 10% off all spa services. Men, tell your wives!! Heck get a massage yourself, if you want!! Also it's a good way to get out of the dog house if you buy a car while you are here.:)

4. I mentioned this before, the Richard Petty Driving Experience will be on track during our car show on Saturday and BCA guests get a discount for a ride-along, but they have lowered the price EVEN MORE for BCA guests. now it's $79 per person (was $89 earlier). Just show your event name badge for the discount.

Great Info Brian!

I and a few other Tarheel chapter members will be heading out early Wednesday morning headed your way. Taking the 64 to 49 route. Hoping to avoid some RTP traffic and narrow lanes on I-40.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner

Are you guys from up north gonna be able to handle this heat? This is about the hottest it's gotten all summer. Looks like Friday and Saturday are both going to be pushing, if not over, 100*. Plus killer humidity.

It's gonna be hot. Pack some shorts.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner

NC Reatta,

Just so you know, we had last Thursday to Saturday with heat index of 105, so I think we are prepared.

John

heat index and Charlotte Motor Speedway asphalt track surrounded infield temps are two different thing. Do as Marck suggested, pack shorts.

on second thought, after a visual of what I just said, maybe you can just find some shade John. ;):D:rolleyes::)

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

A couple of things.

DO NOT plan on fueling up at I-85 exit 49, the exit for the hotel and the speedway. Prices are always much higher there. If possible try and top off somewhere in South Carolina, some of the cheapest gas in the country (and the worse roads to go along with it) Exit 4 had it at $2.91 last week. And if the sweet lil girl at the check out says "Strip down, facing me"...SHE'S TALKIN ABOUT YOUR DEBIT CARD. I learned the hard way. Bail was only $500, go to court next month. :D

When exiting off I-85 and heading down Bruton-Smith Blvd toward the hotel/speedway, the GPS lady may tell you to proceed past the hotel and MAKE A U-TURN. Don't listen to her. Instead, just after passing by the Honda dealership on the left, merge into the left turn lane (with grassed median) and make a left into Scott somethinorother Parkway. The Marriott is first drive on the left, the Embassy is straight ahead.

Thanks for all the tips guys! Getting ready to finish loading Old Bessie up with parts and things that I will hopefully not need and start the journey. Had a little delay on the test trip to get my brother (450mi rd trip) who will be my wrench and wingman on the trip. Water pump started to go. Got home and with the great help of Kanter, putting one in now as I write this. Looking forward to meeting all of you in person in the next couple of days. Plan on getting there Thursday afternoon or earlier, God willing and the creek or heat don't rise!

Anyone coming from or through Ohio, I will be starting in Toledo tomorrow and heading south. PM me with your cell phone and maybe we can see if we can meet. Planning on going US23 south to US35 to Ohio/WV Border. Probably stop for night around there. Then 35/64 to 77 to Concord / Sharlott. NC or Bust!!!

I didn't mean to sound critical or like an alarmist earlier about the heat, it's just that have been there before unprepared and it takes some of the fun out of it. Bring water, small coolers or back packs of water. And bring your own shade, umbrellas or chairs with those umbrellas attached. And water, plenty of water. And of course sun screen. Oh and did I mention water. Bring plenty of water.

Matt,

We'll make it up next year at South Bend, that is for sure! Not sure how crazy they are, but I have a feeling that I am in store for a some serious surprises! Only 4 hours out and stopped for the night in WV and will be there by noon tomorrow.

Guest 4 bufords

will be there thursday pm,flying down from ct,looking forward to seeing you and your 57 jim and compating notes,4 bufords from ct

The maintenance guy at the hotel said he had never seen all the air conditioners running ever. Didn't hear of any problems, so must be a good maintenance man!

Just like our Meet Chairman and his team did a awesome job, thanks to all, do it again in 7-10 years?? Ya think? You can teach your boys, how to do it!!!

The maintenance guy at the hotel said he had never seen all the air conditioners running ever. Didn't hear of any problems, so must be a good maintenance man!

Just like our Meet Chairman and his team did a awesome job, thanks to all, do it again in 7-10 years?? Ya think? You can teach your boys, how to do it!!!

Thanks Roberta.

I'm sure I'll be itching to do it again soon enough. I had fun.

Nico and Luca had a great time. This was Nico's second National Meet (Co Springs was his first) and Luca's first. No doubt of many more to come.

I agree, Brian did an absolute bang-up job with this meet!!! It's the most organized, and best excited event I've ever been to. And with the tours and everything. It all went smoothly and was very interesting for all involved! Way to go Brian, I can't express in words how great a job you did on this meet. Fantastic job!!

Well here is my2 cents. I have to agree, it was a FANTASTIC MEET the food was great, the cars were perfect, all of the friends old and new and I never noticed the temps. I just moved a little slower than usual if that was possible. Brian my hat is off to you and your team for a job WELL DONE. You set the standard higher for future meets. Thanks it was great.

It was really good to see every body again so please travel safe. I made St. Louis late tonite and all is well

Thanks for another good time. See everybody in Southbend in 2013

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

Edited by Booreatta (see edit history)