Snatched from under MN. Chapter's noses!

Pete Phillips

Have just returned from a 3-day trip to Minnesota and back to Texas with this '49 Super sedanet, snatched from under the noses of the Fireball and Gopher State BCA members! This gem was for sale on Craig's List in the southern Minneapolis suburbs. I got it for less than $1500! No brakes, not running yet, and needs lots of interior work, but the paint is fine, body very solid, engine turns, and seller tells me the mileage is actual (about 60,000).

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

post-32059-143138520745_thumb.jpg

You smiled all the way home , didn't you? If you don't get time to work on it (like you might have more cars than "normal folks") put me on the list for the first call. I stopped looking at Rolls-Royce's and selling the Jaguar. I want more Buicks!!!

WOW-What a find !!! I want it,I want,I want it !!! I'd promise to give it nice warm, dry home here in Ca. Why are all the good finds still being found in that half of the country? Good on ya Pete, another one is saved from a fate worse than crushing. Best of luck with that fine lady ! Mark

Guest wildcat465

Sure you call Rick, but nobody here.

I see how we rate.

Nice find. Good job Pete. Should of came and grabbed it this weekend, we would show you what a big car show is!

Paul,

I didn't want to "let the cat out of the bag" until I was safely out of Minnesota! I know how car-crazy you Minnesotans are. If it makes you feel any better, it doesn't run (yet) and needs the complete interior redone--and I do mean everything. But the body is amazingly solid, mileage is a little over 60,000 which I think is original, judging from pedal wear, fairly tight door handles & latches, and front seat not all wallowed out. Even the fabric-covered wiring is pretty decent (Texas heat didn't get it). Best of all (in addition to good rear quarter spears as Steve R. pointed out), the paint is good enough that it will need little if ANY touch-up work.

It was on Craig's List about 10 days ago. I called the guy, talked to him about the car, got him to send a few more photos, and put a check in the mail immediately. Good thing, too, as he said his phone was ringing off the hook when I got to his house on Friday afternoon. You haven't lived until you've loaded a non-running car with no brakes (not even emergency brake) on a steep driveway--sloping the wrong way right into the back of the truck--took a couple of hours but got it done.

To quote a friend of mine here in Leonard, Texas: "Even the blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile".

Pete

Guest Century Mark

Hi Pete we knew about 49 Buick here they usually sell here for $300

in running condition and in that shape :D LOL

The Border guards got the word to late that there was a guy coming up from Texas

with a trailer after the 49 Buick

You let the cat out of the bag at a gas station on the way up :D LOL

That is a Very Nice find if your going close to Katy Texas

drop it off at my sons :) LOL

Edited by Century Mark
ad (see edit history)

I put a battery on it yesterday, held my breath, turned on the ignition, stepped on the accelerator pedal, and all it did was click--tried to turn over but did not. Tried it a second time, and heard the starter move it about half an inch. Tried it a third time (by this time, I was thinking the engine was probably stuck), and it broke loose and the engine cranked over a couple of revolutions. Definitely has compression, and it cranks with the starter--hooray! I don't want to try to run it until I clean out the gas tank, fuel line, fuel filter, etc. No telling how many years it has been since this car last had a battery in it. Thanks to all for the encouragement!

Pete Phillips