55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

3 hours ago, old-tank said:

Used:  it has a previous title number and date first sold.  Missing is mileage...

I found it odd that it was only four months old.  Maybe he got tired of being laughed at for it having a red top and turquoise body…….

• Haha 2

I am sure that even in 1955 there would have been a substantial depreciation applied after only 4 months. Perhaps her father,who was well connected, convinced the dealership they should not have sold her that car and they took it back cause Daddy could make life and business very tough for them?  Maybe it was titled to a member of the dealers family and they took it back?  Maybe it was a loan gone bad in 4 months?  Could be lots of things.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 7:59 PM, Mudbone said:

What a coincidence, Project66R was sold at Bill Dreiling Buick and today the Buick Bugle came with that dealership on the cover!

55 Title A.jpg

Bugle039.jpg

you're welcome 😉... now lets see if Pete sharing it far and wide gets us some more info.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some may have been wondering why I have not posted any “Buick Saturday” updates on Project 66R. I have been battling a back nerve problem “or something” for about eight weeks now. I have had two shots with no success. I am having an MRI this Thursday. While this was going on my wife and I got Covid. We are both fine now but I am still dealing with my back. So I have been watching every auto restoration show on TV for the last two weeks as we kept isolated because of covid. I am now convinced that I can finish Project66R in ½ hour!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Sorry to hear that.  Can empathize with non-cooperative back and head scratching doctors.  Frustrating.

Have you tried that goop in the yellow and red jar from down under, it’s supposed to be good for everything….now the name seems to escapes me 🤣

Hope you get on the upward trend soon bud. Hang tough.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, usnavystgc said:

@Mudbone I'm just curious, what do you have left to do on this car?  Is it mostly just reassembly or do things still need refurbishing before reassembly?

Roof and cowl are painted. The rest of the body is ready to paint. The dash is almost done. That leaves just about everything else!

20220622_065728.jpg

20220622_065736.jpg

20210130_145211.jpg

20200530_082133.jpg

• Like 3

OMG! That dash is incredible! Can you offer some ideas on how to get started with restoration? I suppose, pulling it out of the car would be the proper answer. I haven't begun yet so just thought I'd get some hints and tips on getting started. 

3 hours ago, truckmen said:

OMG! That dash is incredible! Can you offer some ideas on how to get started with restoration? I suppose, pulling it out of the car would be the proper answer. I haven't begun yet so just thought I'd get some hints and tips on getting started. 

If you do decide to pull it out, take lots of photo's and video from under the dash. Mark all cables and wires and take more photo's!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, usnavystgc said:

Ahhh, so close and yet so far.  Thanks for the update. 

Once you paint is it all just reassembly?

I still have to polish all the stainless trim. I do not have a new interior or glass yet. The rear glass is good. I still have a lot of chrome to have done. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Mudbone said:

If you do decide to pull it out, take lots of photo's and video from under the dash. Mark all cables and wires and take more photo's!

Thanks, Mudbone, for the heads-up. I will also start a search for parts and a wiring diagram. 

Ralph

• 1 month later...

I had a lot of plans for this weekend but the rain keeps comimg down, so I actually worked on the Buick this morning! I never found the small bracket that held the metal heat ductwork to the firewall. I had contacted a guy who was parting out a complete 55 4door. I gave him a small list of parts. He never would answer the emails or phone. Now I see his listing was deleted. Anyway after doing some cleaning, I decided to make the bracket. After crawling under the dash of One Bid (Several Times) and taking some measurements I was able to duplicate it. 

20220820_130707.jpg

20220820_130955.jpg

20220820_131004.jpg

20220820_131106.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Mudbone said:

Can anybody check this Distributor number to see if it is from a 1956? #1110861-6F13. My 55 manual shows #1110849.

(I do not have a 56 manual)

1110861 = part number

6 = built in 1956

F = built in June

13 = built on the 13th day of the month (a Friday in 1956)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, things were going very good. I applied one coat of sealer, two base coats and two heavy clear coats. I came in to rest and then about 15 minutes later I heard my neighbors mower. When I got out there he has already made two passes 4 ft from where I was painting! I just went back inside and waited for him to finish. It has a few small dust particles but I will need to wet sand and buff it anyway. Not his fault, that is just what you have to put up with when you are restoring a car in a subdivision. (They have to put up with my air compressor and the smell of paint once in a a while)  

20220905_105044.jpg

20220905_125220.jpg

20220905_150335.jpg

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

I am not sure if I am to late to your party on your restoration😂

BUT if your dash is still out, could you give me the length of the tube, that goes into cylinder head for the thermo gauge? 

Thank you in advance,

Bob

3 hours ago, NailheadBob said:

I am not sure if I am to late to your party on your restoration😂

BUT if your dash is still out, could you give me the length of the tube, that goes into cylinder head for the thermo gauge? 

Thank you in advance,

Bob

I will look. I think I have a second gauge cluster.

On 9/5/2022 at 3:32 PM, Mudbone said:

Well, things were going very good. I applied one coat of sealer, two base coats and two heavy clear coats. I came in to rest and then about 15 minutes later I heard my neighbors mower. When I got out there he has already made two passes 4 ft from where I was painting! I just went back inside and waited for him to finish. It has a few small dust particles but I will need to wet sand and buff it anyway. Not his fault, that is just what you have to put up with when you are restoring a car in a subdivision. (They have to put up with my air compressor and the smell of paint once in a a while)  

20220905_105044.jpg

20220905_125220.jpg

20220905_150335.jpg

Sometimes you have to start over to do it right. I had way too much paint on this thing! 

20220917_191426.jpg

I went to Fall Jefferson WI. (Car Show and Swap Meet) There are always one or two Chrome plating shops at the show. I took the two front ash tray plates so I could get a price. (Just the flat plates not the pot metal handles) Anyone have a guess on what they wanted to re-plate them?

20220924_074848.jpg