Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

bb1970

Looks good.  Your front is going to drop after some driving for sure.  Give it a couple hundred miles, do some cornering and hit some bumps.  If it doesn't, you can still cut a bit out of them if it's still too nose high.  If it stays like that, a 1/3 of a coil should do it.

5 hours ago, bodayguy said:

We've had the rainiest winter on record here in Seattle, but the sun finally peeked out yesterday so I took my 64 down to the marina and the beach. Just got her back from the mechanic after a tune up and Pertronix install.

rivi424.JPG

Yes, sir. A very fine looking Riviera indeed. I like the wheel covers and white walls.

• Like 1

This is my 64 KX code. Bought it about 2 years ago and did a complete mechanical restoration to 95% original.  Put in a new headliner and carpet.  Dropped 2 inches and tried to emulate GS wheels only slightly larger :).  Going to paint later this summer.  ROA and this site have been a big help.  Also Tom Mooney answered numerous e-mails to help with this process.

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_2336.JPG

IMG_4053.JPG

• Like 1

Guest KMDonnan

Looking good.  What wheel tire setup are you using.  I just converted my '65 from air Ride to stock shocks and springs (too many headaches with the Air Ride).  But now I need new rims and tires.  I dont like wheel gap like most folks, and the standard height is so high.  I tried a supposed 2 inch drop springs, from Original Parts Group, but that turned out to be a 4 inch drop and I could not even get a 17 inch rim on the car.  My big problem is rubbing the fender with the tires in a turn.

So my 20 inch rims are too big even with a low profile tire.  I am thinking 17 inch rims with a 0 offset, 8 inch width for the fronts, with a higher profile tire. Your setup looks good.

So my questions are:

1. What is the size of the rims

2. what is the rim offset (0 for exact middle of the rim)

3. How wide are the rims? 7 inch?, 8 inch? 

4. What is the tire size? how tall are the tires.

5.  Do you have any fender rub issues?

I would appreciate help from anyone on this, as I am so frustrated with the whole situation.  My car is a driver, and I keep running into roadblocks on this suspension issue.

I've got specs posted elsewhere, but they're Ridler 695s, 20x10 with 5.5 BS and 20x8.5 with 4.5 BS.  The car is lowered over 3" (I cut my own coils), and the fronts would rub the inside on full crank, so I put on 5/16" spacers and all good now.  I could actually put the 10" wide rears on the front and they'd fit (I tried it this weekend while doing all 4 brakes), and the rears I believe a guy can fit 12" or 14" wide without too much trouble if he wanted.  My tires right now are 275/40 on the back and 245/40 on the front.  I'll end up getting some custom 12" wide rears with some 335 section tires and put the 10" wide fronts eventually, but I'm happy with it for now.

KMD,

I went with American Racing Salt Flats painted to order - 18x8 and 20x8.  Fronts have a 4.5" backspace.  Rears are 4.25".  If I wanted to modify exhaust I could have gone a little wider in rear but I used a Waldron's stock exhaust.

Tires are 245/40/18 and 275/30/20.  Rears have a little more wrap to them so look a little wider than fronts.  I do have a light rub up front if I crank wheel all the way, which rarely happens.

Guest TomS65Riv

Hi Everyone,

This is my dad's 65 Riviera GS. All original paint and interior. Motor is not original but it is another LX engine. My dad bought it in 67 and had it til he passed away Christmas day of 2010. Now I have it and I am in the middle of rebuilding the engine and replacing all the rubber bushings, ball joints, etc, etc, you know, all the stuff that goes bad. But, it still looks good when you put some polish to the paint!!!

Tom

RivBack.jpg

Riviera.jpg

RivSide.jpg

32 minutes ago, TomS65Riv said:

Hi Everyone,

This is my dad's 65 Riviera GS. All original paint and interior. Motor is not original but it is another LX engine. My dad bought it in 67 and had it til he passed away Christmas day of 2010. Now I have it and I am in the middle of rebuilding the engine and replacing all the rubber bushings, ball joints, etc, etc, you know, all the stuff that goes bad. But, it still looks good when you put some polish to the paint!!!

Tom

RivBack.jpg

Riviera.jpg

RivSide.jpg

Beautiful! Welcome.

• Like 3

Guest redriv63

my 63 riv,bought 12 years ago for  5000 dollars before prices went up no 1 nada classic car guide is now 41000 and average car is 22000. bought car as shown  about 3 miles from my house have won over 80 trophies and awards since owned not  bad for 5  grand.also now have correct wrinkle air cleaner bought  on ebay restored for 125. thanks for looking 

006_21A.JPG

005_22A.JPG

009_18A.JPG

019_08A.JPG

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:10 PM, NCRiviera said:

Our new baby. An original Aqua Mist w/ black top and black deluxe interior. It was recently repainted the original color.

Power windows, power drum brakes, AC (works), but no power locks! IMG_3918.thumb.JPG.277a8c2e1c14cd7bf7499e6e11822f96.JPG

Power locks weren't very common. They were vacuum operated so as you might imagine after many years they need maintenance to keep working.

I look at this car and dream if I owned a house in a beach community this would be the color of Riv I'd have to own and

drive around. Just seems to have a coastal feel to it. It a beautiful car

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:10 PM, NCRiviera said:

Our new baby. An original Aqua Mist w/ black top and black deluxe interior. It was recently repainted the original color.

Power windows, power drum brakes, AC (works), but no power locks! 

IMG_3921.thumb.JPG.88e68c9a174162f5f73f328beae1e745.JPG

As others have said ... Congrats!

Great looking Riv, looking forward to seeing it up close and personal.

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:10 PM, NCRiviera said:

Power windows, power drum brakes, AC (works), but no power locks! IMG_3918.thumb.JPG.277a8c2e1c14cd7bf7499e6e11822f96.JPG

IMG_3921.thumb.JPG.88e68c9a174162f5f73f328beae1e745.JPG

A very nice looking '68 Riviera Mike !

As Jason stated the power locks were vacuum operated, like other accessories - be glad you don't have them - they are a P.I.T.A. with miles of color coded rubber hoses and hardware.

If you check out my Riv pics (...on page 1 #17) there is one another option that really dresses up these cars - there were shiny stainless steel inserts between the lower body side moldings and rocker panel. Option W5 - Custom Bright Exterior Moulding that cost all of $47.10 way back in '68 !

Post some interior and engine pics when you get a chance - maybe after most of your new/old car problems are handled.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Guest Blackened65

My survivor. Just acquired  my 65. thinking of just some cleaning and some wax. not sure if I want to restore it or not.

6635[1].jpeg

6003[1].jpeg

6006[1].jpeg

5998[1].jpeg

Edited by Blackened65 (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, Blackened65 said:

My survivor. Just acquired  my 65. thinking of just some cleaning and some wax. not sure if I want to restore it or not.

6635[1].jpeg

6003[1].jpeg

6006[1].jpeg

5998[1].jpeg

Looks like a great start!  Get all the systems working properly (brakes, engine, trans, yadayada), put some new tires on it, clean it up, buff the paint, and drive it for a while.  After a few months driving like it is, you'll know if you want to keep it that way or restore it.  Welcome!

• Like 2