Roger's handcrafted 1:12 scale models

5 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

so you can sit the body on the frame to paint the body?

That's perfectly correct! I need the frame to attach the front fenders, this is the reason why the frame is first installed on that tool. As the body will be painted in the kitchen, I cannot turn around it, therefore this is the body which must turn!

@ keiser31: your sentence is almost correct: just take away the word "assembly stand for AFTER the paint job"

@ zipdang: Harbor Freight does not exist in Switzerland...By the way, one-point automotive lift were used years ago to wash the underbody and were moved with compressed air. I don't know if that system still exists.

Thanks to all for your help "solving" that quiz!

Roger,

The US was teeming with the Pneumatic/hydro lifts back in the day.  Almost all shops use the frame style hoists today (I have a 10,000 lb hoist in my warehouse).  The problem with the old hydraulic hoists was that they had to have a sizable hole excavated in the floor as the cylinder was over 8' tall.  And the labor and materials pretty much sped to it's demise.  It is much less expensive for the newer style hoist.  I got my new  lift installed back in 2005 for $4,250.00 (a good price at the time).  

Today, the market is saturated with lifts (thank you China) and you can pic up a good used one (un-installed) between $1,200.00 and $2,000.00.  Installation extra.  but they are easy to install and you don't need more than a fork lift to do the job. They are 115 Volt so you do not need 220. 

I cannot imagine what the old style lift would cost to install.  There are still some around.  I don't think that they make any new ones any longer but I may be mistaken.

The one good thing about the old lifts is that their "foot print" is smaller than the new lifts.   

All the dealers and garages had many of these lifts.  They were used from brake jobs, muffler and shock installation, transmission and drive train R&R,  and  most everything else.  All the dealers that I worked for had at least 8 to 12 in the shop.  I saw a new shop here in Oceanside where the owner managed to get 6 of these older  lifts from a dealer refurbished  and had them installed.  He did not want the bulky look of the newer lifts as the access to the work area was unencumbered with the hydraulic lift. It is a state of the art shop right down to the epoxy floors finished in an off white, LED overhead lighting, etc., etc. Stunning shop.

Do you see many of these old style lifts there in Switzerland?

Randy

As the ground is very expensive here, garages have usually a store room under the shop. Therefore the volume and space needed for those lifts are rendering them obsolete. I saw them mostly in washing rooms were there is nothing under. One benefit of those lifts is there is no problem electricity/water as they are powered with compressed air.

As I'm no more traveling to dealers, I cannot tell if they are still in use...

Our hot water cylinder is in the ceiling and when it was replaced, the plumbers used a pneumatic lift to remove the old and lift the new. When they put the old cylinder on it, it suddenly dropped a couple of feet 0- the air was not under very much pressure so adding the load compressed the air in the cylinder and increased the pressure. Not the best thing for the job. I think that lift is mainly used for lifting Gib board (gypsum plaster board) up to the ceiling for fixing. Are house lifts pneumatic or hydraulic? They often have a long cylinder underneath.

After that funny quiz with the frame, I’m showing something more serious: the fuel hose. Its shape is most probably not 100 correct; I had to route it in a way to have no interference at the frame. In fact, no fuel will go through, just electricity: I did a positive lead into the fuel neck and a wire is going inside that tube. The current distribution will be in the trunk.

Now, I can assemble the body to the frame for painting.

947 fuel hose.JPG

• Like 2

On 4/12/2018 at 8:20 PM, zipdang said:

I had forgotton all about those lifts with the huge center post. There is still one in use around the corner in a small shop that was once a gas station, I believe.

Quoting myself here... As I drove by that station, it seems the old lifts had been replaced with 4 post units. Another bit of history gone...

1 step forward and 10 backward. That what I experienced yesterday: I expected to paint the body. Everything was green: the body surface was satisfactory, the kitchen was free and I had plenty of newspaper to protect it. I did first light coats of the blue paint, followed by a rather wet coat. The idea was to let the paint dry and then apply the clear coat. After a rather short time, I noticed that at some places there was a step in the paint. By looking well, all those issues were at the places I had to repair once my right eye had a good vision again. Of course, when I saw that, the clear coat was out of question. When dry, the steps could be felt with the fingers, it was not just optical. It’s like the untouched surfaces absorbed more solvent as the repaired sections and were swelling.

I removed the body from that construction and did an inventory: only 3 panels were issue free: both doors and the RH front fender. All other panels have one or more issues.

The foreseen good red wine to celebrate that step stayed in the cellar…

When dry, I wet sanded the trunk lid until the step was gone and let it that way overnight. Today, early afternoon, I put again a wet blue coat on the lid to see if an unwanted reaction would take place again. Fortunately, that problem did not occur again.

In the next few days, I will sand down all bad surfaces and apply a light blue coat. After another complete light sanding, I will reassemble the body on the frame and continue the paint job. I hope with clear coat this time and no more issues. Cross the fingers!

I tried to document the problem areas; unfortunately, they are not visible on pictures. As always, pictures are lying!

948 bad paint.JPG

949 bad paint.JPG

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I absolutely cannot tell that body from a factory original, Roger! You, sir, are an artist!!

Notice the quarter disappeared again. I think it's a factory original. ;)

Looks AMAZING!!!! Roger. It's going to look so beautiful when it's all finished.

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I absolutely cannot tell that body from a factory original, Roger! You, sir, are an artist!!

It's because you don't have the original next to you to compare; you would see differences (at least, I know where!). Anyway, thanks for the comments!

@ Laughing Coyote: sorry, I do forget all the time to place my giant quarter! You know, it's an heavy piece to carry from one end of the flat to the other one!

• Like 2

Roger,

Looks great.  It would scare me to do the assembly.  I probably would scratch the beautiful finish.  I forgot to ask you.  Have you got the carpet material yet?  Do you use a doll house company to get the right nap and small weave?  One topic that we haven't seen you discuss with us yet.  Just curious.  I  found some miniature carpet for the 1:6 scale Volvo Intercooler F12 truck and also some fabric for the seat covers there too.

Randy                                              w                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

8 hours ago, Randiego said:

It would scare me to do the   assembly.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Me too!

The carpet was cut pile. Velours will be a good match I hope. Anyway, the solution will come in due tim!

@ Luv2Wrench: but sometimes I'm disappointed!

It seems that the corrections at the body are successful: I sanded the places which had “steps” and sprayed a light coat of the base color. In one or two repairs, I had to sand again and respray a light color coat. I will have to sand all the parts individually, assemble the whole body again and respray the color coat and, I hope, the clear coat.

When I was at the paint, I noticed that the wheels were still raw brass. They are now blue, without drama.

On the picture, the upper left tire is damaged. It will go as spare tire as it will have to be modified: I cannot close the trunk lid when the spare wheel is in its cavity! Either the spare wheel well was not deep enough or the outside diameter of the tires is exaggerated from about 3 mm.

950 Painted wheels.JPG

• Like 3

Roger,

I am curious.  Does the trunk "latch" and if so, how do you open it?  Is the key operational? or how does that function work?  With the trunk seal, I imagine that it is a tight fit.  Will you have to "shave" the bottom of the spare so the trunk lid will close?  Just curious

My 1:1 1962 Corvette has a similar issue in fitting the spare tire into the trunk well; The original-equipment bias-ply 15" tire fits just fine, and the factory plywood well cover sits flat over it allowing the rubber trunk mat to fit properly. However, I run the same size radials to improve the ride & handling of the car (and they do so very nicely), and they will not fit in the well at all.  Oh, well - if I get a flat on the road, that's what the auto club, cell phones and credit cards are for.

I have enjoyed your build since the very first post, Roger. You are a true craftsman, and I enjoy the progress we see from week to week. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Dave Reeves

Syracuse, NY USA

Edited by fyreline (see edit history)

Interesting Dave...I have a friend who has a '60 Corvette; he bought repro bias-ply tires; he could not put the spare wheel in its trunk well! I have his wheel and tire since years in my garage; tried to offer that for free, nobody is biting!

I suspect that the repro tires have a larger diameter as the original ones. I took the dimensions on my '56 Biarritz equipped with bias-ply tires. When they are over, I will put radials!

At least, the body is painted! I’m satisfied at 90%; I hope that runs, dust grains and other imperfections will go away after sanding and polishing. From what I can judge, from my 3 models, this is the one with the more paint’s flaws. An indication that some abilities are diminishing with the age?

Right after that, I had the pleasure to clean the kitchen!

As I have right now 3 Hydramatic transmissions (1 ’58 Cadillac and 2 ’59 Cads) to overhaul, I will be busy for some days/weeks; during that time, the paint can get hard enough to be sanded and polished…

951 Painted body.JPG

952 Painted body.JPG

953 Painted body.JPG

• Like 4

I'll suggest that your work is very good if it'll stand up to the photo views. You say they are forgiving, but most model hobbyists think that, because the camera only 'sees' what is there it'll never get fooled into seeing what it wants. Therefore, if no flaws- or very few- show in the pictures, it's because they really aren't there. I've used photos to find goofs in my brass locomotive construction, and sure enough, a screw head that my eye accepts looks like holy hell in a photo. Just as an example.  Roger, your modeling is extraordinary. Thanks for the inspiration.

Roger,

I just can't believe that your body, painted now in blue, is a 1:12 rendition of the Mark.  With all the body creases, indentations, and "stampings" it looks just like the 1:1 car.  Just amazing.  And the finish in the pictures (without the clear coat) shows all the details.  Putting on the clear coat will "blind" us with the dazzling finish.  At least you can photograph the body without the reflection.  Just beautiful.  

Thanks Randy!

Indeed that paint is drying very fast. Today, “just to see”, I sanded and polished the roof because it had some dust particles, plus a spot barely visible where I did repairs before the paint. Fortunately, all those imperfections are gone.

The frame was painted black this afternoon; I will let it some days to dry before I will begin to assemble all the parts you see in that attached picture. The frame, the main body and some small parts are stored in another place.

954 parts.JPG

• Like 4