Opinions wanted: old-car friendly retirement communities?

Reatta Man

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Looking back through I get a kick out of the comments on garage size. I have seen a lot of homes built in the 50's and early 60's with a garage that a Toyota will barely fit in, let alone an Imperial or Sedan de Ville.

Maybe they were built with Metropolitans in mind!

Having an Active AACA Regions and Chapters( VMCCA or HCCA too) that tour in an area I would retire would be most important. Fortunately I have that now in Southwest Ohio and Northern Ky. Have to continue working on getting new members and existing ones to host tours and hold offices. Even with COVID last year, we were able to do picnic/outdoor stops during every warm weather month but April last year. This year we have hosts for just about every touring month already.

Tom Muth

18 hours ago, JACK M said:

As much as I may enjoy that M1 Concourse I doubt it is what the OP had in mind.

Doesn't look old car friendly at all.

This place must not have panned out either.

I have been to M1 several times--more supercars than Kaiser Darrins, but everything with wheels is there

• Like 2

I realize this is a VERY old post but thought I would revitalize it after I read Skyking’s post ...

Actually the answer is sorta within his monicker  . I also was in Daytona in the 80-90’s and bought a place out in a community called Spruce Creek Flyin ..... who needs a garage when you can have a hanger ?? LOTS of room AND you have a test track right out back . I also had a golf course and good or bad John Travolta as a neighbor.

Dan

When I retired back in 2006, my 'ol lady and I moved about 60 miles west from Orlando, Fla.  Not to bad of an area just north of Dade City, Fla.  However, in the past 14 years things have been going down hill somewhat.  Highway 50, a couple of blocks from the property, is being expanded from 2 lanes to 4.  And where it was 4 lanes to 6 lanes.  Plus, the caliber of people moving in is way down.  Now I know why people like living in HOA style areas.  When my "Honey-Bun" starts collecting social-security in another year.  We are going to start looking again.  I'm down to just one antique car, but I do like very loud firearms.  Hopefully we can find a decent size acreage site that is affordable when the time comes.🤩

Capt. Harley😉

• Like 2

Thats why my family moved from Hollywood to The Villages. My grandfather built the house there right after the war. We would spend a month every winter. I remember back in the EARLY 70's Hollywood was a small town. Drive 10 minutes to the west and you were in orange groves. I dont think I 95 was even down that far at the time. As kids we would be turned loose in the morning to roam and do kid things until dinner time. I stopped by about 10 years ago on a motorcycle trip to Key West and boy has it changed!

Carproperty is still around. Also are communities built around small airports that have large garages. Bought my house 36 years ago and designed for as much garage as house in a neighborhood with sidewalks, schools, and a HOA. Two Super Walmarts and two Sam's Clubs five miles. Close to both I-4 and Turnpike. 20 minutes to wold class airport. Not for sale.

Are some age-restricted neighborhoods with 3.5 car garages (golf cart) and one stall sized for an RV.

Personally like the area around Clermont Florida 34711 north and west particularly, Is about 20 miles from where I live behind Universal/Orlando.

ps Cedar Key over on the Gulf coast is a lot like Key West used to be.

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Carproperty is still around. Also are communities built around small airports that have large garages. Bought my house 36 years ago and designed for as much garage as house in a neighborhood with sidewalks, schools, and a HOA. Two Super Walmarts and two Sam's Clubs five miles. Close to both I-4 and Turnpike. 20 minutes to wold class airport. Not for sale.

Are some age-restricted neighborhoods with 3.5 car garages (golf cart) and one stall sized for an RV.

Personally like the area around Clermont Florida 34711 north and west particularly, Is about 20 miles from where I live behind Universal/Orlando.

Cedar Key will never be as nice an Key West was,  Really remote, surrounded by swamps

2 hours ago, padgett said:

SHHHH!

Cedar Key is "Really remote" ? Say what ? 67 miles west of Ocala and has own airport ? Key West is 160 miles south of Miami. I find Cedar Key a really nice place to just do as little as possible. 

"surrounded by swamps "  deepest clearest swamps you ever say (good fishing also). Do you live in Iceland ?

cdarkey.jpg

2 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Cedar Key will never be as nice an Key West was,  Really remote, surrounded by swamps

Very remote and swampy! I have a friend of mine who retired to Cedar Key about 20 years ago. He retired young from the NYFD. He had heard about it from some his fellow firefighters who retired there as well. I visit him every year when I am down at my house in Ocala. He told me that "Cedar Key seemed like a great place to live at 52 years old" He and his wife enjoyed boating and big game fishing, In recent years he has had some health issues forcing he and his wife to travel back and forth to Ocala. He had to spend a few nights in the hospital and his wife did not like the trip at nightAs far as a car community most of the houses are built on stilts on small lots and did not see to many garages. 

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Cedar Key is "Really remote" ? Say what ? 67 miles west of Ocala and has own airport ? Key West is 160 miles south of Miami. I find Cedar Key a really nice place to just do as little as possible. 

"surrounded by swamps "  deepest clearest swamps you ever say (good fishing also). Do you live in Iceland ?

The drive on route 24 is about 25 miles through some real desolate forestry land to route 27, which is not exactly populated either at that point. As far as airports, the one in Cedar Key is private, and the only commercial flights in and out of Ocala are for horses, other then that it is private jets. My house is about a mile from Ocala International. My friends complaint is that it takes him about four hours to get to either Orlando or Tampa International Airports from Cedar Key

30 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

So how, exactly, do I enjoy my old cars in this paradise?

Trade it in for a boat? Nice place to visit with your car but not to stay and play.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Obviously my English is not good enough again (was a post script) I deliberately live in central Florida far from the water (no rust). Once upon a time when I lived in south Florida, Key West was a nice place to go on holiday (spent my honeymoon there traveling on a big touring bike.) Meant when I feel like getting away for a few days, sometimes go to Cedar Key and do nothing for a while. Would not want to live there either. Clermont is a much better area to live with some nice driving roads (e.g. SR455).

I have visited Cedar Key many times, often with a Tampa Bay area antique car group.

It was quaint, remote and fun for a visit.   Not a place to spend your later years when

good medical care may be needed.  Visit, yes!  Retire there?  No!   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I have visited Cedar Key many times, often with a Tampa Bay area antique car group.

It was quaint, remote and fun for a visit.   Not a place to spend your later years when

good medical care may be needed.  Visit, yes!  Retire there?  No!   

Paul that is the problem! Last year it seemed like every other house was for sale, for that reason. 67 miles is a real long ride when you are having chest pains

• Like 1

We would ride over to Cedar Key every year when on our annual Bike Week trip to Daytona. Def remote. Nice place to visit, not sure I would want to live there. My cousin has recently relocated to Crystal River. She loves it there, I have not been there but have travelled all over FLA and am sure I have been in the area.

As far as cars rusting, I bought my trans am from a guy in Umatilla. Car had more rust than Carter had liver pills. In all fairness, it was sold new in Corpus Christi and then spent some time in Tampa, so.............