That car you sold!

Dan Marx

While most of us can't offer $250,000 for the car we wish we hadn't sold, we ALL HAVE A STORY.

In 1990 I was finishing grad school at the Univ of Michigan, and needed money to buy a house at my next asignment at Ft Sam Houston, TX. I sold my powder blue 1953 Chrysler Town and Country station wagon for $8500.00 to buy a house. I had redone the wood interior in OAK and painted it light blue. So, if you see it a powder blue T&C with an Oak interior, It was mine. It was bought by a Japanese investor and supposedly went to a museum in Japan.

So, what did you sell?

dan

My dad sold my 1936 Dodge Brothers touring sedan with dual sidemounts. The money was supposed to go to the restoration of my 1931 Dodge coupe. Nope. I sold my 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner for $1.00 when I moved to California. I sold my 1957 MGA roadster when I got married. My dad sold my 1929 Franklin and my 1926 Chrysler when I moved to California. Fortunately, I was able to keep my very first 1931 Dodge coupe.

1st one was a 63 Thunderbird Sports Roadster I bought in 1971, 3Y89Z100778, have no idea why I still remember the vin, it was an early car with a/c, leather, and RUSTY underneath the nice new Earl paint job from Michigan winters. Bought off a schlock Grand River used car lot when I noticed it on the way to my grandfather's funeral. Sold it for more than I paid for it and the proceeds went into the 56 chevy I was playing with at the time.

There were many, one outstanding was the 1928 Wolverine sport coupe(canvas top). Had a green leather interior, a rumble seat, golf door, low miles and I drove it home.Some say they were never manufactured,and I have been told only a handfull where sold before the shutdown. Of course it is in a collection today and only has been subjected to a repaint. I see it every so often,and wish I had it back--Bob

I bought a 55 crown vic many years ago and planned to use it for a daily driver. Good car with rusty headlight brows. Wife would not ride in it because it was pink so I traded it for a 60 Dodge 4 door. I do not even remember what became of the Dodge.

Were do I start??

1951 ford 2 dr custom I drove to high school in 1971. Flat head V-8 with a tank of some kind as a muffler. Sweet.

Had 5 volkswagons from 61 to 1969 two of them were BAD A$&, all metal BaHa beetles. My friend and I port, polished and CC ed the heads in high school auto mechanics class. The rest of the speed equipment came from Warshawskys, the origional JC Whitney.

!951, red, Dodge stepside. ALL original except for the 50 series tires and turbo mags.

1979 Datsun 280 ZXR that I bought out of the dealers showroom in 1970.

Drove it till we needed a car that worked with a baby seat. They say now that R stands for rare.

Original 1949 Harley Davidson with front and back crash bars and front and back bumpers. Original to the last nut and bolt and the very rare crossed oil lines. Painted it chrome yellow emron with black emron frame.

1959 Chevrolet biscayne 2 dr with a 1968 327 with Muncie 4 speed.

Still got my 30 model A I bought when I was 14 for 350.00 and the man drove it around from in back of his service station and hooked it to my Dads truck.

Still have the 30 model Chrysler CJ, 4dr sedan.

Then there was the 1967 RS/SS 350 Camaro that my brother bought out of the dealership paint shop in 1968 qnd COMPLETELY ran into the ground.....as he has always done..... and sold for 250.00.

Bill

In 1985 I sold my 1939 Buick Special convertible sedan to help build a summer home which became my permanent home in 1992. In 2000 I was able to buy it back for $8,000 more than I sold it for. But of course, what would 8% interest have cost me for 15 years? I figure my interest rate was reduced to 2.6%

I sold, or gave away to the junkman, a pile of junkers that I don't miss at all. One in this catagory was a 1980's Chevy Celebrity that had the computer junk on the carburetor. What a lemon. A friend of mine took that one to the Smash up Derby. It's life was ended rather quickly, and was dead long before the heap ended.

Another was a 1975 VW Rabbit that was so rusted out that the frame was ready to break in half. I gave this one to some friends of mine who used a dealer plate to drive it to the salvage yard. The motor ran OK but that thing did have a tempermental carburetor. In the winter you had to keep pumping the gas peddle when it was cold and the front struts would freeze solid.

Still yet another was a 1997 Dodge full size Van. I swear, At 100,000 miles every little switch and sensor failed in it. And the rearend had a nasty wine. I was glad to see that one head out on down the highway.

There were more, but those were my worst three.

The one I wish I had enough to put back together was a 1911 Stoddard Dayton Roadster. I sold the remains as I had no motor or Transmission. Dandy Dave!

Guest jmarsicano

My wife and I just went through this exact scenero 3 years ago to buy our house.

For the downpayment we sold, my collection of boy scout patches (about 1500 items) and my 1955 Ford Pickup.

Bill sold (please notice I said he sold it NOT me) the first antique car we ever bought (a cashmere blue and artic white 1958 Chevy 2-door Biscayne) to a guy from Fla. We needed room for a car he wanted to buy, a 1939 Dodge Deluxe 4-door sedan, so he put ads in Hemmings for two we had.

We were the second owners of the Biscayne and I loved it so much I had a CAR-TOON pottery sculpture made of it. And a 1966 Alfa Romeo Spyder that needed to be restored.

The guy from Fla. came up to look at the Alfa and while he was here a call came in with a guy asking about the Chevy. I made the mistake of going out and telling Bill there was a call about the Chevy. The guy from Fla.'s eyes lit up and he said, "What Chevy?" When he saw it he said he would take both cars. We were only supposed to be selling one car.

I would not sign the title over :mad: so Bill had to sign it since it was and and/or title.

He is still in the dog house over that one.

He has been warned if he tries to sell the 1963-1/2 Falcon Sprint, (even though it is not running yet because of restoration work) CSI St. Albans will be looking for his body forever. :D

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

70 El Camino, fire engine red over grey stripe. 118 mph only once. 350 small block best V-8 ever built.

Next owner painted the car and added SS stripes. Let his teenage Son drive the car one eve who promptly rolled and totaled it.

I ran into the Son one eve this summer and he DID introduce himself as the guy who totaled my car.

He works on race boats now!

Go figure.

I never had anything worth mentioning. A very rare 1982 1/2 Subaru Brat DL (500 made) is as close as I get. 3 dealers told me they were never actually sold in the U.S., and then I'd point to mine in the parking lot. Coincidentally I just saw one this afternoon, the only other one I've ever seen.

However a friend of mine in a Triumph club has the story to beat all, but didn't know it until he told me and I filled him in. In 1971 he traded in a 1965 Z16 SS 396 Chevelle on a new Mach 1 Mustang. They only made 200, and are among the most valuable muscle cars in existence. He had no idea what a Z16 was. It was only after he began describing the car that I knew what he'd done.

I told him how rare the car was before he told me what he'd done with it. I think he was happier not knowing.:o

Guest THEHKP7M13
I am still under the 'buy and hold' strategy...gets cramped

I feel your pain. I have a tendancy to be super picky when purchasing, because I know it won't be going anywere for quite a while.

My wife and I just went through this exact scenero 3 years ago to buy our house.

For the downpayment we sold, my collection of boy scout patches (about 1500 items) and my 1955 Ford Pickup.

My dad sold his Luger collection for the downpayment on my parents house after they got married. I am not sure if I could part with items of value to me over a woman.

I sold, or gave away to the junkman, a pile of junkers that I don't miss at all. One in this catagory was a 1980's Chevy Celebrity that had the computer junk on the carburetor. What a lemon. A friend of mine took that one to the Smash up Derby. It's life was ended rather quickly, and was dead long before the heap ended...

...There were more, but those were my worst three...

My mom had an '82 Buick Century (the celebrity with a buick grill) with probably that very same carburated 3.0 V6. It was used and never ran right. It only had about 60,000 miles on it. She hated that car, because of the above mentioned driveablity/cold start running issues. She use to rev the p*ss out of so to speak for a good 5 minutes or so on every cold (and most warm weather)morning warm ups. Say what you will about those cars being junk, it took 3 years for it to delevop a rod knock from all that abuse.

I sold a dream car. A car that I had researched for almost 20 years and then was able to trade for it. One of the prettiest brass cars around in my opinion. Two-tone gray with a claret wine undercarriage and interior. Compund curves on the boddy, beautiful single tube radiator and flared front fenders. The car was a hit wherever I went and won a lot of awards. When I closed my Olds dealership I had no idea what the future was going to be and was trying to buy another dealership so I sold the car to GM. I sold it to them for under the money since I wanted to make sure the car was always maintaned and not sold. I also new it was important to GM since it was rare (only two known) and since it was a 1908 it was also significant since that was the year GM bought Olds. The car was a 1908 Olds Model X and now it is no longer "safe" at GM since no one knows what will become of the collection. Buying it back will not be an option as it will bring a very healthy bid.:(:(

My dad sold his Luger collection for the downpayment on my parents house after they got married. I am not sure if I could part with items of value to me over a woman.

When my woman started telling me what I should do was sell off my collection to fill her pockets, I got rid of the woman. I got to keep the collection, and she got a dumpy little trailer in a trailer park.

So, who's smart, and who's stupid? You tell me. ;) Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Guest jmarsicano

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by jmarsicano viewpost.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>My dad sold his Luger collection for the downpayment on my parents house after they got married. I am not sure if I could part with items of value to me over a woman.

Cars or whatnot, they are just "things"

Before I had things, now I have a house.

Guest THEHKP7M13
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by jmarsicano viewpost.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>My dad sold his Luger collection for the downpayment on my parents house after they got married. I am not sure if I could part with items of value to me over a woman.

Cars or whatnot, they are just "things"

Before I had things, now I have a house.

I understand. I did not mean to offend in any way. I own a house. My point really was I don't think I could part with my cars/guns over a woman/wedding expenses/etc.

"The Simpsons" and its not an exact quote:

Homer; "Eternal happiness for $1 mailed to ..."

C. Mongomery Burns staring at the dollar, "I think I am happier with the dollar" as he folds it up and puts it back in his pocket, smiling.

I think I am happier with my junk and my dollars then a marriage. I am greedy I suppose, then again I think most of todays women are too. So I guess my point it to each their own.

Guest THEHKP7M13
I'v VERY happy and blessed, and feel sorry for the selfish ones.

Never had that positive of an experience with a woman. Then again I am from the big city and most everyone is out for themselves around here. Based on the success rate of my freinds marriages and the unhappiness of the ones that did it I would say I am happier with my stuff. I always said I beleive I wll retire unmarried and find my wife in the south when I get there.

CHICAGO WOMEN, YOU CAN KEEP THEM. THEY ARE NOT BENEFICIAL FOR YOUR (MEN) LONG-TERM BEST INTERESTS, JUST THEIRS.