Signed off e-bay for the last time

Guest DaveCorbin

Guest DaveCorbin

I just signed off of e-bay for the last time. The "new" e-bay (which is just junk) has an option to go to the "old" e-bay. After 5 tries that just went around in circles to the "new" e-bay, I asked them to delete my profile and name.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Your right, Bob, bugs will get worked out. The new format frustrates us as well - my wife is getting pretty good at working around it. eBay has made some buys possible I could not find locally, or at big meets like Hershey for that matter. Just finished "The Hemi in the Barn" - very good sequel to Cotter's first book, but this one has several find stories that relate to eBay. As you say, a way of life...

Guest Skyking

Try finding something for a Nash Metropolitan at swap meets. It's easier to find purple hen's teeth. I use ebay quite often and find everything I need. I even buy hard to find parts for my Buick.

Guest DaveCorbin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 51dyno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Instead of signing of YOU should contact them stating that the new forum stinks and point out the bad.I did that today and they swithed me back to the old way.The more people point out the bad the sooner the good comes. </div></div>

Dear Dyno:

I've sent them a dozen specific suggestions on at least 4 different occasions, none of which they have done or responded to. When they have the option to switch back and that gives me the runround too, I'm gone.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Come on guys, patience..!

You have to understand that this is the way things go in modern world. In a world where companies are ran with computers.

When a company updates their systems - IN A BIG WAY -there will be always be problems and bugs for a while. Even if everything is tested completely. Even though everything would work fine there's always people that think that the old way was better.

You have to give feedback to the staff - and be PATIENT. I know that's a slow way, but they are building up the service for You guys.I'd bet they would appreciate it. And you have to remember that changing the system that as large as Ebay is not a snap of the fingers.

Thrust me - I know what I'm talking about - This is what I do for a living whistle.gif

Engineer in IT-business

Guest windjamer

Sorry Mike. As a former shop supervisor I found that a engineer looks at a problem,draws up a blueprint consults with 3 experts discuses the problem in depth and then decides the damm thing was flawed from the start and isnt worth fixing. The curent ebay shi-s the bed.

Good or bad, EBay is the only game in town when it comes to finding and selling automobile "stuff". Craigslist is worthless, and live swap meets are great for "networking" but are nowhere near as convenient.

Until there is a better alternative to EBay I'll work around its quarks.

For the record, I like the new EBay.

Peter

Oh - another thing worth mentioning. I update the forum software here every 12-18 months or so. I've been doing that for 11 years. Every time I make a change I hear the same stuff... the upgrade was terrible, etc. etc. But once everyone gets use to it then the complaints stop. I think the same thing will happen with EBay.

peter

Peter, BTW THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU and the other webmeisters for your efforts in keeping this site going. Right now, I think AACA has a tremendous amount to offer members, and while the site is open to members & non-members, it would not be here without AACA and the web volunteers.

Sorry to go off topic - but this seemed like an opportune time..

51Dyno,

It's Ebay's job to understand your view. It's what they do for a living. They didn't change the site for the sake of change, they did it for reasons. To make the site generate more revenue is the obvious reason. Therefore the changes were not done lightly. This is a multi-billion dollar company. I'm confident they did surveys, focus groups, testing, etc. etc. I'll bet they spent millions to attempt to do it right the first time. From my perspective they did a good job.

No one above has given specific complaints as to why Ebay is worse. Simply general statements. Therefore I don't know why they don't like the new version.

Regardless, I'll bet Ebay would love the feedback - as long as its specific and constructive. Simply stating "the change is just junk" isn't helpful. If you want someone to understand your point of view you must state it.

Peter

Ah, remember when Widows 95 came out and we had just as much trouble getting used to it as we did learnin Windows to start with. Change happens and the older we get the harder it is to deal with. I still hear people say "they'll never do anything on line", just to complicated to deal with. Drop out, turn off and move to assited living when change is to overwhelming. You know a forum like this could teach even the stubborn to use the new ebay. Remember when you first went to ebay? Fear of the unknown can be overcome unless you give up and give in to it.

I am a HEAVY user of Ebay and Ebay Motors. When they started talking about the new Ebay Motors site changes, I was just as pi**ed as you all were. Same at my job, I was the last to switch over to full online, nobody likes change! But once I switched I dived in, became buddies with the CADD manager, and once I had some experience, what an improvement! I was a beta tester for the new Ebay site (along with probably a million others)and I sent them lots of complaints - believe it or not they fixed most of them eventually. One way to register complaints is through their message boards, I'll bet they have one just for this site and I'll bet it is very busy right now. I know from experience that they monitor those boards and actually make site changes based on comments posted, it just doesn't happen overnight. Bottom line, if you are in the automobile hobby in just about any way it's hard to ignore the largest marketplace in the world. Give it another try!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll bet they have one just for this site and I'll bet it is very busy right now </div></div>

Yep, it's called the Moderators Forum! wink.gif

Busy?, not at all. There is barely one post there a week. When PeterG does the work, it's usually done right the first time. grin.gif

Wayne

Guest windjamer

Wayne if a dummy like myself can navagate this forum you just know Peter is doing it right. I used e-bay almost every day when restoring my Buick and Chevelle,loved it.They used me as one of the new testers, and after submiting numerious complants on ther feed back I was able to find absolutly nothing. After trying for a couple weeks I gave up. Im sorry, but if it aint broke dont fix it.

As with most things in life Jamer, it sometimes takes a few tries to get it right.

PeterG actually had a forum set up for complaints, no "problems", that needed fixing during the last update.

That worked very well and it looks like most people are happy with us, except maybe Dave@Moon! crazy.gifwhistle.gif Just teasing Dave! blush.gif

No, really, if you don't forward the problems you may come across they never get resolved. wink.gif

Carry on! smile.gif

I had tons of similar trouble with my browser's new mail look. This is from my IP and it it was ongoingly problamatic so I had the option to change back and it all works fine. It's always some javascript error, even with latest java, or other usually minor setting that some site somewhere doesn't digest when you attempt to access it.

Quite frankly it's getting almost to the point where one has to weigh the value of the web vs. all the jumping through hoops needed to simply access it safely and not screw something up. The complexity and questionable interactivity between your browser, IP, Windows version, Ad- blocking and how all that works or doesn't work with Norton is getting weary.

At least in th eolden days of like 1991 the modems were dead slow but there was no spam, viruses, or adware.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Peter:

The research I do for old Buick numbers has been completed. I don't need the frustration of having an "option" that you can click on that says: "got to old e-bay" which gives me a questionaire which I've answered 5 times with very specific suggestions. It then goes to NEW E-bay. I went around 5 TIMES, always to new e-bay. At 68, I don't need the frustration when all I'm trying to do is help guys get years and models right on the Buick ads.

This is from an MIT grad who has actually operated the VERY FIRST solid state machine EVER built, and has worked for 50+ years to get to "USER FRIENDLY" computer systems.

Regards, Dave Corbin

PS:

If you want to forward this to e-bay, it's OK with me.

I don't like the new changes either, but I'm gonna figure it out so I can get ahead of all the guys who can't!

Sort of like learning to get to Hershey early and figuring out where to park...and then they rearrange the fields!

Terry

Dave, Great to hear from you, and sorry to see that you are having problems with anything.

I wonder if there is something about your PC settings that is causing you some problems with Ebay. Today's computers are a lot busier doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes and software conflicts are much more of a problem than they used to be.

If you are willing to try, you might want to download the Ebay toolbar. I use that software to access Ebay and I have no problems at all. There have been some very minor changes, but Ebay looks and works very much the same for me as it has for quite some time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

At least in th eolden days of like 1991 the modems were dead slow but there was no spam, viruses, or adware. </div></div>

Do what I did when I got tired of my computer was always unusable. I switched to Apple Macintosh. 4 years already with Macs. No Viruses, No trojans - don't even need an AntiVirus software. And darn, this thing don't even crash grin.gif

And easier to use too!

I wish I could get the time back before cell phones.. (about 15-20 years) blush.gif

Guest 58srgreat

Lets face it guys,no matter what gripes we have with EBAY it still is THE PLACE to find cars and parts in particular.I find more on EBAY in a week than i find in a year searching through HEMMINGS.The days of finding NOS GOODIES at your local swap meet are all but gone.We will get use to the NEW format and YES EBAY will change it AGAIN!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peter Gariepy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mika,

Shocking news from your webmaster... i switched to a Mac as well. Window's is a PITA.

</div></div>

Peter, Wow! grin.gif

This is little bit out of topic but just got a new job and a brand new

MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz whistle.gif (didnt have to pay a penny!) Darn this new led-lcd is niiiiiice laugh.gif

I disagree. I think I pass on far more on ebay then I buy simply because the cost of shipping the part is largely up to the seller. In many of my selling transactions I just go ahead and post a fixed price for shipping and usually lose money on that.

Smart ebayers know they can make up some of their money in "shipping and handling". I look at total cost to purchase not just the price of the part. Also I typically get outbid at the last minute.

ebay has it's place mostly as leisure browsing on Sunday morning with my coffee with no intention of buying, kind of like watching the SPEED channel auctions in January.

I would much rather see/feel/touch the part at a swap meet then buy off ebay. I think it will swing around

Guest 58srgreat

BJM,

I WOULD AGREE WITH YOU ON ONE POINT.I ALSO LIKE TO SEE A CAR OR PART IN PERSON.I JUST DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO ATTEND MORE THAN A COUPLE OF SWAP MEETS A YEAR.I HAVE ATTENDED HERSHEY FOR THE LAST SEVEN YEARS AND I DID NOT FIND A SINGLE PART FOR MY RESTORATION.I ADMIT I PROBABLY PAID TOO MUCH FOR A FEW ITEMS BUT I DON'T WANT THIS PROJECT TO DRAG ON FOREVER.I HAVE NOT FOUND ANOTHER RELIABLE SOURCE OF PARTS SO I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO PUT UP WILL ALL THE QUIRKS ON EBAY!

If you think you can find what you want at a flea market Good Luck! Anything I see that has any hint of value and is underpriced I buy to list on eBay. There are Thousands of others doing the same. I never overcharge on shipping, and don't bid on items that have flat shipping and handling fees. The world is full of empty boxes and bubble wrap, all you need to buy is tape.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Peter:

I notice the favorable comments you're getting about this site, all of which are much deserved. This is in sharp contrast to the theme prevalent on this thread, which can be loosely categorized as "P***ie on E-bay".

You have also seen my post about 50+ years of trying to make things "user friendly".

Over that span, I believe I know what causes this sense of frustration. It can easily be stated this way:

1) This site is run by a car guy who HAPPENS to be a computer guy.

2) The new e-bay motors site is run by computer geeks who aren't car guys.

As proof, look at the old site which has a sort that says:

"Oldest First" (car talk), whereas the new site says: "Year increasing"(computer sorting mindset). That's what clued me in as to what's wrong in the e-bay site redesign.

As I told them in a comment: "If you paid for this site redesign,ask for your moey back!"

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

For all of us on this thread:

My personal home computer system consist of TWO Dell 2200 servers and 3 big Dell PC's, all about 2002 vintage. I run Windows 2003 Pro. All of this was self-installed and linked. My only outside help is when I need to change the IP addresses. By most standards, that probably makes me an above average user.

When e-bay frustrates me, Heaven help the rest of you! (But BEFORE this, I was (and am) a car nut!!!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dave, I think that your problem is that you know more about computers than the average guy, so you have kept an operating system that works well and that you are familiar and happy with.

Windows XP is pretty easy for the average user to use without having to know as much about computers as you know.

My guess is if your operating system was Windows XP, you would not be as frustrated with Ebay. A lot of recent stuff is written to play well with XP, and it does not tend to play well with older (though stable) operating systems.

I realize that this probably won't help you with your Ebay frustration.... But it is my 2 cents worth. Good to hear from you anyway. We will have to manage to meet up at Hershey again or somewhere else again soon.... Merry Christmas....

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear MC:

I was at Hershey this year, but don't think I saw you. Probably too busy working with Buick numbers. That's my loss, as I enjoyed our conversation greatly a year ago.

If you go back to my original post, my complaint was that the option that says "go to old e-bay" took me right around to new e-bay 5 times.

That's an e-bay problem, not a function of MY operating systems. When I select that option, I expect it to go straight THERE. It would appear that E-bay doesn't want to use it as a vote counter to find out if the new site is the piece of junk that I think it is. This thread and the views it's getting (over 800 in 4 days!) looks like a distinct set of clues to me.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dave, sorry I missed you at Hershey this year.

The point that I am trying to make is that I think the Ebay software to put you back on the "old" ebay works correctly with XP. There is very little difference in Ebay as I see it and how it has been in the past. I seem to remember choosing the "Classic" version or something similar sometime in the past and it still does what I expect it to do and looks substantially the same as it has for a long time. There is a little bit of new functionality that I like.

I can't see what is happening on your end, but I do know that Ebay on my end is still as user friendly and probably a little bit more user friendly than it was years ago. Good luck.