Signed off e-bay for the last time

Guest DaveCorbin

1937hd45- you got that right! One local swap meet no matter how large is national in scope. While I found my Packard on Ebay within 2 weeks after about a month of local looking I had no surprises. Of course the owner posted some 40 pictures of the car.

Without the internet the car hobby would be a joke. You'd have to subscribe to several hundreds of dollars of periodicals and you still wouldn't match the search power of the web. Or you'd be advertising that Nash starter for sale in the local newspaper of Turkey Flats population 7,000- Nash fans 4.

Now no matter what item in any category you are contemplating purchasing you should check the web 1st. You will get an idea of cost and availability and save wasted gas and phone calls and lost time.

When I need a refrigerator water filter I buy it on the internet instead of from Sears. Why should I drive there and pay nearly double?

Does everyone know a 6 volt jump starter even exists much less where to buy one? Unless you lived near Chicago or found a catalog 2,000 miles away you wouldn't know http://www.lectriclimited.com/battery-butler.htm this is the place to get one.

This forum is doing exactly what it was planned to do- assist with information by my posting that.

Whatever the true or perceived evils of Ebay or computers in general they do make the hobby better.

61.gif

You can't talk about eBay long without mentioning USPS Priority Mail FLAT RATE boxes. They are FREE, and you can ship whatever fits inside them ANYWERE in the USA. Model A Ford Starters & Generators to California from Connecticut for $8.95 is a DEAL, you can't drive too far on that amount of gas. A Ford Flathead V8 transmission fits in one too, less the case & shifter, my personal record weight in a Flat Rate box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't talk about eBay long without mentioning USPS Priority Mail FLAT RATE boxes. They are FREE, and you can ship whatever fits inside them ANYWERE in the USA. Model A Ford Starters & Generators to California from Connecticut for $8.95 is a DEAL, you can't drive too far on that amount of gas. A Ford Flathead V8 transmission fits in one too, less the case & shifter, my personal record weight in a Flat Rate box. </div></div>

While these boxes are decent in size (the largest is 11" X 8.5" X 5.5"--about the size of a large shoe box), they are not particularly strong. I just bought a new starter from a guy in Louisiana. It arrived here still in one piece, but I dont't know how.

The starter was just tossed in the box with stryrofoam peanuts and 7 air pillows. When it got here 5 of the air pillows were popped, and all the peanuts were smashed flat like a steamroller hit them. The box was at least 1/2 empty space, and could barely be called rectangular. It took me 1/2 hour to remove about 10 smashed peanuts from between the interior of the case and the armature. I don't have to tell you what the paint on the case now looks like. God only knows if the starter still works.

There's no way a large starter properly packed for shipping would've fit in a box this size. I don't know how you got any tranny in one, or how the box survived the trip. Relying on these boxes to package anything over 5 pounds is a pretty risky thing to do.

eBay just changes things in ways geared to make them more money, and that's that. Common sense or what people prefer has nothing to do with it. Guy on the Chevytalk board found a seller listing some high end cars - an original '60s era gasser class '37 Chevy was one... and he has a shill bidder account that bids on every one of his listings... wins a lot of them, too. It's so obviously a shill it's not funny. You'd think they'd stop that right away when it's being used to run the price of a car up over $20,000. But as long as they get paid and the rules breakers are careful enough not to be too obvious... they don't care.

• 2 weeks later...

To me, eBay is the best thing going. It's the only place I'm able to find NOS parts for my '28 Whippet, '52 Dodge pickup, antique harmonicas, Antique string instruments, antique books, and all the other ridiculous addictions I suffer - and all in one place! I purchased a truckload of parts last fall, and am able to sell all the parts I don't need in one place. I can accept the problems in lieu of the benefits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pontiac59</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and he has a shill bidder account that bids on every one of his listings... wins a lot of them, too. It's so obviously a shill it's not funny. You'd think they'd stop that right away when it's being used to run the price of a car up over $20,000. </div></div>

This is EXACTLY the reason why I laugh so very hard everytime an auto enthusiast swears up and down

that Ebay accurately reflect the value of a car or car part. Shill bidders inflate prices, plain and simple.

I agree, EBay could care less about it's own rules as long as they make their money from the fees.

YEP! Ebay is still great. I find things I need, if I come across a deal on something at a yard sale or local meet I'll pick it up, and put it on ebay.

I start most of my sales cheap, $10 or $20 unless I have more in it.

I think the schill bidder crap is mostly just that, crap. It's certainly in the minority of situations.

Do some have multiple accounts? sure. I know for a fact the ebay cracks down on that stuff, when my buddy's wife wanted her own ebay account they had some hoops to jump through to get it done.

If it wasn't mulitple accounts it would be friends bidding on friend's stuff.

Bid what you want and call it a day. I get outbid way more than what I win because I'm cheap, howver I did just grab an NOS trunk trim for the Dart for 1/2 of what a big name mopar ebay vendor wants for his..

Guest AntarcticDave

The one thing I noticed on the new Ebay Motors in the parts search is that you no longer can specify a year range, just a single year. That really complicates searching. For most parts on my car, a 42, 46 or 47 will work, while some mechanical parts will also work from a 41 or 48. I have to do a whole lot more searches now than previously. I did provide this feedback to Ebay, maybe if they hear it enough they'll put the age range back in the part search (they retained it in the vehicle search).

I list stuff but never get serious bidders, when I start out at $300 and a reserve and it maybe gets to $500 on a $2500 car it's not even worth emailing people and offering it for the reserve price. One clown even emailed after the auction asking how much we wanted for it, and I told him apparently more than he was willing to bid, since he never bid on the auction in question.

Gee Pontiac59, How many of them creampuffs have you sold??? If things are not moving, Maybe they are priced to high?

8,500 for this???

Remains of a rare car, maybe?

Quite frankly, There is nothing left to work with.

Every panel on the car is beyond reasonable repair.

Oh yes, and I can build, but would not waste my time with someting like that even if it was Free.

There is a button you can click on to be returned to the old

version. I prefer the old version to the new one. It's easier to use the search function.

LOL. laugh.gif I'm afraid even guys looking for Rat Rod stuff would pass on that. crazy.gif

If I understand it right, Rat Rods are built from what ever can be scrounged up for little or nothing....

$8,500 is way out of their price range. Some of those guys build a driving car for around $700.

Part of the game is "How cheep can you build it!"

Pay me about $500 and I'll take it away. LOL laugh.gif

Dave!

Gee Pontiac59, I got an idea for you,

You should start selling some of that stuff as "Modern Art." Come up with a catchy name for each piece and a whimsical right up. It looks better than some of the stuff I,ve seen and it has taken years to get that way.

You may just get your price then! grin.gif Dave!

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> YEP! Ebay is still great. I find things I need, if I come across a deal on something at a yard sale or local meet I'll pick it up, and put it on ebay.</div></div>

This type of seller is not what eBay is apparently trying to attract these days. Since this thread was started a new fee structure and feedback program was announced. Many small vendors are less than pleased.

eBay Sellers Protest, Threaten Strike

I've gotta admit, I'm not going to be using them as frequently in the coming years if this new structure sticks.