I'm curious. What do, or did, you do for a living?

Barry Wolk

Guest Moepar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Here is a question for those who make their living in some way related to the hobby. Recognizing that that is in fact work (probably more than in many other options you may have considered) involved there, what do you guys do to get away from it all? </div></div>

Camping. But its still not 'away' from it - the only cars we have but one are all qualified for the AACA. The one that's not ('88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer) will be in 6 years. The Jeep & my '71 300 are our two primary camper-haulers.

DSC03793.jpg

Actually, my hobby is what keeps me at the office. My business is boring and I used to go home at noon. That drove my wife nuts so I commandeered the back 20' x 60' bay that was just filled with junk anyway. I rerouted some ductwork so the space is air-conditioned. Lots of light and lots of outlets.Painted the walls and ceiling white and the floor the color of dried blood.

Now I get away from it all by coming home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moepar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Camping.</div></div>

Uh, doesn't one of your "getting away from it all" hobbies include something called a <span style="font-weight: bold">Christmas Tree</span>? cool.gifgrin.gif

Guest bossmustang

I was the parts manager in a Ford dealership for nearly 40-years and enjoyed every aspect of the job. I liked hiring and training new employees and watching them grow in their knowledge of Ford vehicles and parts. I had a reputation for obtaining the "hard to get parts". I also enjoyed managing a very large parts inventory. Ford was a great company to work with and I was very proud to support the blue oval. I still hear from many of my company friends that were affected when Ford downsized.

Steve was very forthright in explaining how the GM dealers operate and his comments mirror many of my dealings with Ford.

Jim Aberts

1970 Mustang BOSS 302

1978 Mustang II

1996 Mustang GT

2002 Taurus

Gotta love that GI bill, Needed a job and money in '75, went to college and needed to declare a major. Been there a whole 3 days!!! Looked at a list and picked Nuclear Medicine Tech. No idea what it was. Well that lasted until I went back in the Army in '79 and retired in '95. First job, driving a hearse, sombody has got to do it!!! Add some adjunct faculty work at a small college in Flint, MI, that lasted eight years. Currently semi retired in lovely Boykin, SC. Never find that on a map!!! do some consulting as a medical physicist and swap meets in the southeast for THERAPY.

Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Here is a question for those who make their living in some way related to the hobby. Recognizing that that is in fact work (probably more than in many other options you may have considered) involved there, what do you guys do to get away from it all? </div></div>

I don't really... I do it both as a business and hobby. I reckon I'm obsessed.....

Electrical Engineer for the US Army specializing in tactical radio communications. Hardly a pre-requisite for antique automobiles, but the things you get to see.....that I can't talk about! Kind of like the minister who plays hooky on Sunday to play golf and hits a hole in one...Who's he going to tell?????

Chris

Guest Skyking

I started in Lithography in 1968 learning on a single color press doing 4 color process,(wow!, the old fashion way). As the years went on I progressed to multi-color presses and worked my way up to being a working foreman for a two shift company. In 1994 I just about had it and wanted a somewhat easier life and moved to Florida. I was still in printing but at a slower rate in Daytona Beach. There, the hussle & bussle was gone and I was a happy camper. In 1997 the wife dragged me back to R.I. and now I'm working for a guy that I was boss to. cry.gif I've been bitting my tongue for 10 years.... mad.gif

Well, less than 5 years to go and I'll return to Florida for the winters............

This reply is actually for Steve Mack CT: You are absolutely right. Plumbers and doctors, carpenters and lawyers, truck drivers and jewelers, car dealership owners and shoe salesmen, college professors and high school dropouts....a melting pot. The cars bring all of these people together as equals and that's the greatest thing about this hobby. So then, really, who cares what they did or do for a living?

Currently am a public school sub teacher, currently am not working during the summer... and co-curretnly am so incredibly broke...!

Have learned that hard work and Faith in my friends will get me thru anything.

Got a crazy idea about 10 years ago to restore some old gas stations and make icecream shops out of them. Live local music, local foods, locals just sitting around talking about the weeks troubles and joys.

Currently dabbling with some internet ideas, not sure where they will lead but am hopefull success is around the next bend.

Found I did pretty well with selling and promoting stuff and enjoyed my early years working in advertising on the creative side, and if all this craziness fails I can always fall back on that experience.

For relaxation I go out back and work on my 1976 26' Stamas Twin Engine Sportfisher that I have been doing a ground up (water up?) restoration on for the last 5 years. Mrs Restorer and I enjoy taking weekend trips, which always seem to involve me judging an AACA meet. She is not a car person so occasionally we have to do what SHE enjoys. Now that the grandkids have started popping they keep her pretty well occupied. I am blessed to have been able to make a decent (usually) living doing what I enjoy. Best part of the business is meeting and working for all types of folks from all types of backgrounds. There are some real characters involved with antique cars. I hope I live long enough to actually restore one of my own cars.

I go home.

Except for what's parked in the garage, if you stepped into my house you'd never know that I was a car fanatic. No posters, no automobilia, basically nothing related to automobiles (no automotive "art" in the garage, either... just the car). It's actually very nice to step away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dynaflash8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So then, really, who cares what they did or do for a living? </div></div>

It isn't a matter of "caring" what someone else did/does, but rather a just-for-the-fun-of-it way to get to know each other.

It's the kind of thing that comes up while the team is standing around waiting for judging to start or the Captain to get back from turning in paperwork.

I for one have read this thread with great interest. I wasn't sure it would last since much of it has nothing to do with cars. I will admit I am glad it was allowed to stay.

My garage will be filled with automobilia. A two bay addition remains in process (1 1/2 weeks to completion promised - I'll believe it when I see it). The original garage is filled with automobilia and awards on the walls, and a long bookcase is filled with AACA magazines back to '62, Buick parts books, jobber parts books, old car ads, on and on. The rest of that garage is piled with household goods and collectibles (auto, dolls, doll furniture, auto collectibles, furniture, family photos, etc.) When the two rooms and two bay garage is finished that will all be cleaned out and spread more realistically around the whole house. My wife will have her doll room, the furniture will be used, and whatever can't be used will be yard saled or given to a charity group, but it's going out of here. This addition (on "Florida time") has been the most debilitating experience I can ever remember. Things move like "dead lice" here and all you get is promises, with maybe one sub-contractor showing up each week, none ever when promised. Anyway, since old cars have been the passion of my life, old Buicks in particular, I'm proud to hang my signs, pictures, trophy cases, etc. It doesn't matter to us whether others think that my old car collections and her doll and doll furniture collections are crazy or folly. We're over 21 as they used to say.

It's one thing, Susan and West, to tell friends in private, while you're, let's say judging on a show field, what you did for a living, but quite another to broadcast it over the Internet. Personally, I made a decent living that I parlayed into a terrific early retirement. But, old cars have always been my love since I was a child, and that job I had the stamina to stick with for 36 years made it possible for us to enjoy our old car life in relative ease; otherwise the job was forgettable and I've worked to forget it. After I retired on an "early out" with a great pension and my wife quit her job, the first thing we did was move out of a state we never wanted to live in, and back to our home state of Virginia, my wife quit her job and helped me take care of my mom, dad, aunt and uncle for the next 12 years. Then we followed our more advanced age dream of moving to Florida. Everything here is fine except the old car hobby is not as active as it was in the Balto-Wash area and services are slower than slow. I feel like if people know us for who we are, how we stepped up to take care of the old people, and like us for who we are; and also see what we do and have done for 45 years in the hobby and for AACA, then that's enough, because mid-century old cars has really been the work of our lives. We did that for free. The other stuff just paid for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems pretty simple to me. If you don't like this thread, don't participate.

What's it to you if we want to tell people what we do? </div></div>

Seems like in my position I might be expected to participate. And, too, I have a right to my opinion too, or don't I?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dynaflash8</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems pretty simple to me. If you don't like this thread, don't participate.

What's it to you if we want to tell people what we do? </div></div>

Seems like in my position I might be expected to participate. And, too, I have a right to my opinion too, or don't I? </div></div>

Funny, no one said you weren't entitled to your opinion. It's also funny that after stating your opinion you ended up telling your life's story.

Doesn't that strike you as odd?

Odd that at none of the auto functions I attend people don't talk about their work. I was in sales and later interviewed WW 2 vets and wrote articles mostly on combat aviation.

Of all the regular cruise-ins and shows where I talk with the same people again and again we never talk about "work" outside of car work. Never thought of it but I haven't got any idea what most of the guys do or did for work. Irrevelent actually, but curious for some no doubt.

I was a tobacco farmer's kid, back when it was a respectable way to earn a living (still is, but if you're not growing 100+ acres using migrant labor it's pointless). We also grew melons and corn. Worked 4-12 shift in Dan River Mills dyeing yarn while in tech school. Then I worked in an aluminum extrusion plant 1977-79.

Hired on as an apprentice steam plant operator with Carolina Power & Light Company (now Progress Energy) in 1979 and have been there since- just marked my 28th year there, July 30. Spent 25 of them in plant operations. Last 2-1/2 years I've worked in lockout/tagout prep and training and outage scheduling, though with all the greenhorn operators we have, I still spend a lot of time in the field with them. Seems like I've been training people half my life...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dynaflash8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Nope. Only told what I wanted to. </div></div>

And that is really all that any of us are doing. Barry asked and many have responded. I have read some very interesting things that people did.

My career wasn't that interesting, well maybe the Easter Bunny job was. It was fun.

Like you I have done, and continue to do, charity work. But that would be a thread of a different kind. smile.gif

Went into the Navy right out of High School in 1958. Spent the next 26+ years as an aircraft electrician and aircraft maintenance officer. Retired from that life in 1985. Along the way the Navy was good enough to provide me with the opportunity to get my Masters in Public Administration so I went to work for the City of Virginia Beach for the next 10 years as an administrator in Public Utilities Dept. Left that gig in '96 to play with my cars. Wife (Toni) of 47 years loves the hobby and all the folks in TRAACA.

When not ruling the planet (or at least the small portion my wife lets me rule), I am an Information Technology Auditor performing testing for the Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) Act (also a CPA). SOX was passed to protect investors after the debacle of Enron and Worldcom and requires internal controls to be reviewed. Prior to that I was at AT&T for 27 years and held a few other jobs including one that most of you have not done - car hop at the Burger Ranch where I grew up ($.50/hour plus tips). Funny thing after working there for a summer I was able to pay for 20 years of college and purchase all the antique cars I wanter (don't I wish).

I became interested in, and started working on cars when I was 12. I took auto shop classes in Hi school, and have taken job related classes at least six different colleges over the years. First full time job was working in a speed shop, selling Hi Performance parts and building engines. After nine years, the owner died and I was in the street. The next few years I worked in an auto parts machine shop. I then went to work for a large, private corporation, keeping their fleet running. Nine years there and the company sold, so I decided to find a job closer to home. I worked in an independent garage and then a Olds dealership for a while. I missed the benefits a big company could provide, so I went to work as a mechanic for a City fleet. I worked my way up to Fleet Supervisor, the position I held for the last 16 years before retiring.

Now, according to my wife, I don't do anything..!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RocketDude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now, according to my wife, I don't do anything..! </div></div>

(Wive's definition of retirement. Twice the husband and half the money. whistle.gifgrin.gif)

Unlike Twitch and others, every job I ever had has made friends for me. I have shed tears because close work friends have moved many states away to take on other jobs. I felt that close to them. I still keep in touch with them.

I have met few people in my job that I haven't wanted to be with. And just like in the AACA, I'll be making new friends as time goes on. Life is what you make it.

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RocketDude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now, according to my wife, I don't do anything..! </div></div>

(Wive's definition of retirement. Twice the husband and half the money. whistle.gifgrin.gif) </div></div>

It's funny that you mention that. I'm 55 and considering retirement. I met with my financial planner. He asked us all kinds of questions about our expenses and eventually got around to hobby costs.

He typically tell clients that they'll need 70% of their normal income to live comfortably in retirement. He calculated our needs at 150%. Guess I'm not retiring anytime soon.

Two years of Auto Techolgy in college. Funny thing there was the service manager at the Chevrolet dealership I went to work for had a "thing" against me because I went to a "lesser" college than he and two of the other guys. All of us went to SUNY (State University of NY) colleges, I didn't go to SUNY-Alfred. Anyways, the three of us in the shop went for a Chevrolet certification test on brakes. The results came back and I had the highest score. After a year I said the heck with NY and moved to NC. Worked in a Pontiac dealership. Got fired over the fact my service manager can't do a little math. I was accused of speeding with a customer's car. The lady's daughter turned her car around, and caught me within a mile. When she relized It wasn't her mom driving, she went to the shop and told them I was doing 75 MPH with her mom's new car. Couldn't get it through to them SHE was the one flying to catch me. Anyways...

got a job working in a speed shop building Mopar drag racing engines. I left there to managea auto parts store for two years then returned for another two years before he closed the shop. I have been building drag race cars (dragsters) for the past ten years.

I was a big drag race fan back in the 60's and spent many a weekend at US131 dragway in Martin Michigan watching some of drag racing's legends in action. Fond memories and a great selection of 35mm color slides that I will have to figure out how to put on disc someday!

I'm really enjoying this thread! As part of my day-time job as a career planner for our healthcare system, I've always been fascinated with how people end up in the line of work they are in. It's almost as fascinating as how you got interested in old cars to begin with - perhaps that is the topic for the next thread once this one plays out.

I gather from reading all this that the one thing we all have in common is that we work to facilitate our enjoyment of the hobby. Yeah, I know, sometimes work sure can interfere with play, but it does provide me with the resources to enjoy it all.

Have fun,

Terry

You know, I have enjoyed reading this. As for me I work in the Operations Center of a Same Day Courier. I get to tell people where to go! laugh.gif It's great. For fun I teach computers for recent arrivals to our great country. Oh yes, also I deceided to write a book.

Cheers

Well, stared my career as doing this and that when I was 16-years old. Got the money for my first car - 1964 Imperial Crown - when I was 17 years and still in high school.

OK - after high school joined the Finnish Defence Forces (this is not voluntery in FIN). After 6 months in FDF went back to work and finally got into University of Applied Sciences studying Internet Technology.

While studying I worked as a part time doing internet connection installations for a local phone company. Then I started to work as a software specialist and giving Linux lectures. (that was the time when I got my first shades of grey on my hair wink.gif )

Then I moved forward(? I think) and started working for a local Apple Macintosh Service Provider as a Apple Certified Technician. After 1.5 years still working here and I'm writing this message on my desk wink.gif (gotta use my working hours wisely!)

Over a month ago I graduated from University of Applied Sciences as a Bachelor of Engineer in Internet Technology.

Now - again - as a 27 years old, gotta move forward and I'm searching for a new job - something that compares more with my education. I hope to get involved more with servers and maybe programming? Also interested to be certified as a Microsoft SA smile.gif

Or take a full turn and start doing something with OLD automobiles for a living.

Well, time shows what happens - but I just have to work to get my cars on the road every summer wink.gifwink.gif Otherwise I'd be living in FL and just cruisin' .

Well, gotta go and fix up some Mac's (even though they are unbreakable wink.gif )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tcmb67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know, I have enjoyed reading this. As for me I work in the Operations Center of a Same Day Courier. I get to tell people where to go! laugh.gif It's great. For fun I teach computers for recent arrivals to our great country. Oh yes, also I deceided to write a book.

Cheers </div></div>

Hey, maybe you could tell me where to go. My starting points are:

1) got an Bachelors degree in Internet technology

2) gotta have lot's of money

3) my spare time(with my cars and family) is more valuable than my working hours (atleast for me)

4) Finnish summer is TOO SHORT

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Great thread. When I was doing swap meets is Georgia, there was gentlemen that was called the Professor. He sold suspension. I eventually asked him why he had the moniker and he had a Ph.D and was a tenured professor at a major university. Great guy to have as neighbor at a swap meet. When it comes to swap meets, who cares what you do for a living. I just want a great neighbor, good friend, and someone you can trust to watch your "stuff" when you need to make a run to the out house.

Guest imported_PackardV8

Mika.

Try this: www.yourjobisgoingtoindia.com.

It is my understanding that the Indian population and to some extent China's is WELL educated and trained for modern technical and management positions. AND they are willing to to work for $10/day and a bag of rice. AND can live a Beverly Hills type life style on $10/day. MANY American high skill and management jobs have left for India and China.

On a different note. I am curious as to WHY there are so few International participants here at the AACA Discussion Forums. I would expect at least 30% of those posting to be EC.

I've been looking at a world map. I see that the Soviet Union and neighboring oriental countries are very close to Scandanavia and the EC. BUT i've never heard of anyone from the EC venturing into Russia to scrounge vintage cars. According to my map, Lenningrad is only about 60 miles from Denmark or the EC border. Does noone ever go over into the Eastern countries to scrounge for vintage cars???

"Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT

Here is a question for those who make their living in some way related to the hobby. Recognizing that that is in fact work (probably more than in many other options you may have considered) involved there, what do you guys do to get away from it all?"

I have been in the auto body business all my life. I just enjoy working. For the past 10/15 years, I have spent most of my time in the office (not the most fun on earth)and so on weekends, and holidays, I get my hands dirty and work on my own "toys" just for the fun of it, 8 hours a day, with no one around to interrupt my thoughts and progress.

I am just now finishing my "toy box" that I started 20 years ago, so that I may go "full time" away from the office, customers and employees. You may say retiring, I call it "back to work"

Well I have been in the same type of business for 44 years.

Main Frame computer programming. P.C.'s confuse the hell out of me. Am currently working for the company that makes most of your credit cards, so keep using them and keep me employed for another 1 1/2 year so I can retire.

Guest imported_PackardV8

Main Frame Programmer?????????? I thot those jobs aborted with an S0C7 3 or 4 years ago.

OR

//Exec pgm=abort,region=(india,10k,time=365,,,,),cond=odd.