David_Leech

Headlight bulbs

TOP CLASCO 6-8V 21&2? might be a 26 and that's referring to the candle power likely. Other bulb has even less left on it. Note the rippled sides of the bulb? A gimmick or manufacturing process (like crown glass)

Are they prefocus lights? i.e. is there an adjustment for position of the bulb in or out in the reflector? It is usually a screw in the centre of the headlight at the rear.

Are the pins opposite or offset? They look like BA15D bases (opposite), though they may be BAY15D - can't tell. Anyway, you need to specify the base if they are not available by the old numbers (e.g. fitting LEDs).

The ripples may have something to do with a focusing theory of the time.

Typically these are 1000 Mazda light bulbs. This was a standard number for bulbs regardless of manufacturer. Typically 32/32 candlepower. Model A headlamp bulbs are fine but will not have the ribs. I would suggest a 50/32 candlepower, gives you a better high beam. Old bulbs are around but getting harder to find. Rob

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Are they prefocus lights? i.e. is there an adjustment for position of the bulb in or out in the reflector? It is usually a screw in the centre of the headlight at the rear.

Are the pins opposite or offset? They look like BA15D bases (opposite), though they may be BAY15D - can't tell. Anyway, you need to specify the base if they are not available by the old numbers (e.g. fitting LEDs).

The ripples may have something to do with a focusing theory of the time.

The pins are opposite, not offset

An incandescent bulb of the type in our cars puts out about 10 lumens per Watt. Your LED is probably about 60 to 80 lumens per Watt.

Roughly, a candlepower is equivalent to 12.57 lumens (that is the "usual" conversion factor). So a 21 cp bulb is ca 263 lumens and it would burn about 26 W of electrickery or 4.4 A at 6 V.

Your LED will be about 10 W or about 1.7 A at 6 V, and you get 2.5 times as much light. Why hesitate.....? because....

Just remember to make sure the light source can be placed in the same place in the reflector as the old incandescent bulb filament is - assuming you have pre-focus headlights.

Hesitate? I had no reference to how bright a lumen is or how many of them I already have. If they are brighter, it's a go. Those 6v are dangerous to drive with. Need certain updates to make driving a 90 year old car safer, like turn signals

I had no reference either until I asked the www about it in response to your question!

Just make sure you have a good earth or ground at each light. Paint and rust don''t conduct well.

Has anyone done an led swap? I'm interested on safety aspects. All my bulbs all around. I do hesitate only on originality. I love the charm of the single brake and tail light, the hugely inadequate headlights, the lack of turn signals. However, driving in modern traffic I get people trying to run into the back of me, waving back when I'm signalling, getting cut off, and driving home blind if I stayed out too late. Not an issue in 1928, bit of a problem in 2018 city traffic.

Are they anymore noticeable than the regular bulbs? I picked up slim led signal light bar that sticks in the back window and I'm going to make my cowl lights into signals. They are useless as anything else really. It will still look stock except for the signal switch, a signal-stat 700 clamped to the steering column

9 hours ago, David_Leech said:

Has anyone done an led swap? I'm interested on safety aspects. All my bulbs all around. I do hesitate only on originality. I love the charm of the single brake and tail light, the hugely inadequate headlights, the lack of turn signals. However, driving in modern traffic I get people trying to run into the back of me, waving back when I'm signalling, getting cut off, and driving home blind if I stayed out too late. Not an issue in 1928, bit of a problem in 2018 city traffic.

Are they anymore noticeable than the regular bulbs? I picked up slim led signal light bar that sticks in the back window and I'm going to make my cowl lights into signals. They are useless as anything else really. It will still look stock except for the signal switch, a signal-stat 700 clamped to the steering column

Totally agree we need to have indicators these days in the traffic we are in. I got abused the other day for going to slow so I just waved and smiled as I was telling him to get F##### quietly. I fitted the old style looking led brake and indicator on the back and some small tear drop motor bike indicators on the front. I’ll try find a pic for you. I fitted H4 bulbs to my headlights and held them in with 3 springs. 

4FA721F4-8A17-481D-9814-96D3EBE44F62.jpeg

444276D7-AB7C-4C52-8CE6-3819C78B9667.jpeg