Dodgenz

Members
  • Content Count

    98
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

16 Good

About Dodgenz

  • Rank
    Member
  • Birthday 01/14/1967

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Very fragile! I was holding one the other day about to do some work on it and it crumbled in my hands. They are not cheap to replace!
  2. A treated pine board should last for years. We have different levels of treatment here for different levels of exposure- H3.2 can get wet, H4 would be exposed to rain, and H5 is in the ground. I guess H3.2 would be plenty. A stain would make it period black or dark, and personally I'd use stainless screws (or you might be able to find something more shiny..).
  3. Could you use several layers of the black roofing paper in pieces and do something like a paper mache shape? If you use the self-supporting type it's thicker and would need less layers, but you'd need an appropriate glue being as it's pretty oily.
  4. Replicore here in NZ make them too. http://www.replicore.co.nz/ They don't have quite the right type for the DA from what I could find, but they should do the D2 style. I am also after one for my D2. But yes, the cost is huge. So also on the look out for a useable second hand one.
  5. All sorted and have managed to get responses from both of these helpful folk. The emails got through, so I know they will work for future reference and it was more likely internet issues that was blocking them. Thanks everyone for your input.
  6. Ok. I'll give them another try and see what happens in another couple of weeks or so. Good things take time, as they say in the cheese adverts (here!)
  7. Hmmm... those are the email addresses I tried. And I don't get this funny thing about not shipping overseas - what's the problem? if someone is willing to pay just bung it in the mail! Oh well, will keep trying. Thanks everyone.
  8. Does anyone have any updates on email addresses for Myers and Romars? I tried Romars and had no response, and the Myers address bounced back. Not so easy(or cheap!) to phone from here... and I only just want to order a couple of simple parts.
  9. Mine have BBR-1's on them and run well. I get about 20mpg which doesn't seem bad considering weight, age and general overall condition of the motors, which aren't recently reconditioned. Being NZ cars we didn't get the Stromberg option - I must admit I didn't know they were the original standard.
  10. Hi Bob, No the carb wasn't rebuilt, as has been fine up until yesterday. I guess something (a jet or something) must be blocked in the carb as fuel is certainly getting to it. I wish I could find my starting fluid - hunted high and low for it! - may have to invest in more.
  11. Normally my '29 DA starts on the button, faster than any modern vehicle I've got. When it hadn't been started for over 15 years it still didn't take many spins of the flywheel, BUT today no go. It has been a couple of months, but this usually is no problem. There is plenty of fuel and a spark, but the plugs aren't getting wet, so it doesn't seem to be getting from the carb to the motor. It pours out of the 'throat' (ie where the choke is) but is not making it up into the manifold. Has our rubbish fuel just turned to water, as it seems to, because it's been in the tank more than a few weeks ? - if so why aren't the plugs wet? or is there something else i'm missing? On a downdraught carb I could just pour fresh fuel in to check this, but not so here. Before I strip it down, does anyone have any ideas?
  12. I have a 1960 Rover which has a similar freewheeling option, so the idea was kept going for a few years! You just wind out the knob and can change gear without the clutch and free wheel on 'overrun'. Don't mind it, but of course it's a bit harder on the brakes with no engine braking. (Currently I have no brakes at all, so not going very far, esp. in freewheel mode!)
  13. I have only just seen your thread re the tank dilemmas. Glad you got the tube out, I've taken both of my tanks out of my two cars and had to unscrew the filler tube each time. I think I heated one first (I fill the tank completely with water before I work on/weld them - has worked so far!). I then used a bar in the slot across the top, I guess that's what the slot is for. Believe it or not I've found these tanks really easy to get out - my '49 Daimler is a nightmare in comparison! That's because nothing would ever need to be fixed on a British car! This is my tank cleaner... A few shovelfuls of shingle and a steady cement mixer then disappear for a few hours or so. Works quite well, you just don't want close neighbours. Previous models were running off the PTO of a tractor (in 'land drive' - i.e. jacked up while in gear) with a ground mounted frame and a wind powered one. Of course I could use tank sealer, but where's the fun in that - plus i'm not entirely sure I trust it).
  14. Could be. I bought both from in/around Chc - but they do travel!
  15. Just to keep the confusion going, I have two right hand drive D2's. One with steel and one with a soft insert. And as far as I know they are not Australian built- they have the US style windscreen. I guess they were CKD, assembled here, but I would expect the roof insert to have already been in place. Someone once said to me that sometimes the steel roof was replaced with the soft top as they had a tendency to 'drum' at speed - not that I've noticed it. It wouldn't improve your radio reception I feel.