HERSHEY or BUST

MrEarl

Received a call from my friend Brian DePouli several weeks ago asking if I'd be interested in helping him get his '38 Roadmaster convertible to Hershey with hopes of it winning a Senior. Since I have never been to Hershey but always wanted go I told him sure. I advised him however that although my old trailer would look pretty shabby underneath his beautiful Roadmaster, that I had hauled everything from my Roadmasters and '38 Special  to friends 76 Estate Wagon,  '59 Electra and a 66 Suburban and  I felt comfortable my rig would get us there and back fine. Just to make sure though I put the Silverado (1500HD) in the shop for a few needed repairs, bought new tires for her as well as a new set of tires for the trailer, all needed and long overdue.

IMG_7259.JPG

IMG_7265.JPG

IMG_7267.JPG

Upon arriving in Charlotte and Brian's last Wednesday evening after his sons soccer match, and while loosing daylight, we start loading the RM. I was on the trailer guiding him and all of a sudden the fenders on my trailer start moving inward. The more forward he came the narrower they got. I stopped him we take a few measurements and determine the fenders of the car would barely fit and the running boards would not. Measurements showed that the width between the outside of the running boards was 1" wider than than the width between the trailer fenders. I was in total disbelief and freaking out that I had made the stupid assumption that it would fit. I considered adding a couple of 14 ft 2X10's to the deck as I had done with a couple cars before to get the running boards above the trailer fenders but considering any slight possibility of the car shifting discounted that idea and refused to consider even trying it. I was pretty upset at myself but Brian just said no problem, I'll just pull the RM back in the garage and we'll go without it. At that point I figured it was time to "Call a Friend" The friend being Bob Coker, who still has the rig I use to drive all over the country hauling the '54 Landau. As I have never so much as jumped a curb with it I hoped he would have no problem loaning it out to us for a few days. He told us to come get it so the next morning we truck up to Winston-Salem, pick it up, head back to Charlotte, load the car with no problem and hit the road toward HERSHEY.

IMG_7275.JPGIMG_7276.JPG 

The trip up was safe, comfortable (much more so than would have been in the Silverado) and uneventful for us but this poor guy wasn't as lucky.

IMG_7278.JPG

Typical "first timer to Hershey"  picture

IMG_7414.JPG

Not for Brian though, I think he goes pretty much every year. But I managed to get him to pose

IMG_7413.JPG

First day we met this guy checking out some cars in the car corral ( Pete Phillips)   

IMG_7281.JPG

We set up in Brians vendor spot

IMG_7321.JPG

I made a run up to HWY 81 to pick up a set of 29-30 wheels with tires for use as display at my Buick Sales and Service Garage. IMG_7285.JPG

Saw some really nice Buicks in the car corral. Somewhat pricey though IMO

IMG_7363.JPGIMG_7361.JPGIMG_7364.JPGIMG_7367.JPGIMG_7386.JPG

Lot of car for the money here V 

IMG_7387.JPGIMG_7389.JPGIMG_7390.JPGIMG_7388.JPGIMG_7391.JPGIMG_7392.JPG

This is supposedly a Motorama Skylark. But check the fitment of the front fenders and hood Yikes

IMG_7394.JPGIMG_7397.JPGIMG_7398.JPGIMG_7399.JPGIMG_7396.JPG

IMG_7384.JPG

IMG_7385.JPG

• Like 5

WOW! Great story! Great Experience! Great Pictures! Great Fun! Just been enjoying the various posts and pictures from Hershey this year and wishing I could make it one time. Not sure my old legs would hold up to all that walking?,

Thanks for sharing!!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, g-g-g0 said:

WOW! Great story! Great Experience! Great Pictures! Great Fun! Just been enjoying the various posts and pictures from Hershey this year and wishing I could make it one time. Not sure my old legs would hold up to all that walking?,

Thanks for sharing!!

Surely you have been right? If not or even if you have,  you owe it to yourself to go. I will definitely be trying to make it back as many times as possible in the future. It does wear on your legs and feet but it may be possible to use a scooter, there were many of them there.

As can be seen in these pictures the swap meet fields are huge

IMG_7353.JPGIMG_7354.JPGIMG_7355.JPGIMG_7356.JPGIMG_7357.JPGIMG_7358.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Then it was SHOWTIME

Brians Roadmaster was honestly my favorite of the whole field

IMG_7427.JPGIMG_7424.JPGIMG_7422.JPGIMG_7423.JPGIMG_7425.JPG

But this 29 was a close second, BEAUTIFUL job  IMG_7458.JPG

IMG_7462.JPGIMG_7452.JPGIMG_7460.JPGIMG_7451.JPGIMG_7449.JPG

IMG_7448.JPG

IMG_7465.JPGIMG_7467.JPGIMG_7468.JPGIMG_7474.JPGIMG_7478.JPGIMG_7481.JPGIMG_7482.JPGIMG_7483.JPG

Had a nice conversation with Phillip Roitman, super nice guy, AWESOMELY restored '73 Century GS !!! 

IMG_7501.JPG

IMG_7503.JPG

The restored Buicks were nice but honestly I spent more time in the HPOF area looking at some unbelievable original condition cars, my faves  IMG_7514.JPGIMG_7517.JPGIMG_7525.JPGIMG_7526.JPG

IMG_7495.JPG

IMG_7520.JPG

IMG_7523.JPG

Another favorite

IMG_7538.JPG

Edited by MrEarl
Correct year of Phillips GS, WWIT, Sorry Phillip (see edit history)
  • Like 8

That red and white 56 Century with the Roadmaster bomber sights looks real clean. I think I'll be looking for some bomber sights after graduation (or before if they're inexpensive :ph34r: ). Thanks for the pictures, Lamar! I can't wait to go to one of these shows some day.

Met and enjoyed a nice conversation with this fine gentleman from California,  Leonard Hayes BCA No.  5 !!!

IMG_7472.JPGIMG_7469.JPG

Then it was time to load up the Roadmaster and head back to the hotel for dinner and go to the awards ceremony

(This is one of my favorite shots of the week)

IMG_7565.JPGIMG_7557.JPGIMG_7559.JPG

And not surprisingly Brian and the car won senior .

IMG_7564.JPG

They ran out of trophies, but within three days Brian had received them in the mail. 

IMG_7637.JPGIMG_7639.JPG

• Like 8

Great thread. I had a blast (as I always do at Hershey), but it was extra special and extra fun to have Lamar there and have my 80C on the showfield. I really appreciate Lamar for trailing it and that "old Cod" Bob Coker for the "upgrade" to the truck and trailer, Bob and Lamar both prove time and again what amazing guys they are. I didn't get near the photos I normally do as I was too busy talking to everyone (that's not unusual) visiting at the car. It was really neat to chat with Mr Hayes BCA #5. I've got a visit planned next time I'm in SoCal.

A HUGE thank you Mr. Earl!!! Now where did all the Oatmeal cookies go that were in that empty box on the flea market table??

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

All in all and thanks to my dear old friend Bob Coker entrusting us with the awesome 350 Super Duty and Landau trailer, Brian and I had a wonderful time. Lots of story telling, joking and laughter. I've always considered Brian a friend, but after this trip and 5 days of camaraderie, I must say I consider him a GOOD friend.  Thanks Brian!    

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, dei said:

Thanks also for the pics and sharing your adventure! :D

Brings back a lot of memories of the two trips I did with Dad many years ago....

IMG_7287.JPG

Just have to ask MrEarl, what was the asking price on this baby?

$9,000 OBO  VERY  nicely restored. Single beds only killed the deal pretty quickly for me though

IMG_7288.JPGIMG_7289.JPG

• Like 1

Great story and pictures.

No question Mr. Earl was hit with the "Hershey Bug".

Lamar: I'm certain you will go again.

I've been 8 times in the last ten years, and hated myself for not going the other two.

I'll be there next year for sure.

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smithbrother said:

Mr. FITTY FO,,,,,,,,,what no pictures of some FITTY FO'S?

What's this world coming to?

Dale in Indy

Can't post what wasn't there Smitty. No '54's were even registered for the show or in the car corral. There was one there however,  a beautiful Gull Grey Skylark that when I complimented the owners on the color of it, all I got was a head nod, no thank you or even so much as a smile, I just kept walking and had not planned to even post a picture of it. But if it will make you happy ... :D

IMG_7378.JPG

• Like 4

Mr Earl,

Glad you made it to Hershey. Hope you return. It was nice finally meeting you in person. Maybe next year I can invite you out to dinner at Hershey and we can chat a little longer. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Mr Earl,

Glad you made it to Hershey. Hope you return. It was nice finally meeting you in person. Maybe next year I can invite you out to dinner at Hershey and we can chat a little longer. 

Back at ya Matt. Maybe we can have a "Mod Squad" lunch. 

• Like 1

Sorry that Larry Schramm and I missed you guys at Hershey.  We were all moving targets... 

I did see Pete at Steve Hammatt's shindig on Thursday morning, but we didn't get a chance to talk.

We were pretty worn out after two days of walking & I had already picked up all the goodies I had on my list.

Larry sold his 1923 Parts car and had to deliver it to New Jersey very early Friday morning (we left at 3AM!).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Sorry that Larry Schramm and I missed you guys at Hershey.  We were all moving targets... 

I did see Pete at Steve Hammatt's shindig on Thursday morning, but we didn't get a chance to talk.

We were pretty worn out after two days of walking & I had already picked up all the goodies I had on my list.

Larry sold his 1923 Parts car and had to deliver it to New Jersey very early Friday morning (we left at 3AM!).

Sorry we missed y'all. We arrived Wednesday evening and the next morning parked the truck and trailer in the trailer parking and then walked not even half the fields. Friday we entered and parked in Brian's spot and set up an honor box and walked all day. The next day we drove the '38 onto the show field and walked that til around 4:00. It was good to have Brian as a guide, very knowledgeable of all the Buick vendor locations.

ha, moving targets,  indeed, I had quite a few recognize me from either my avatar here or the picture in the Bugle What's Happening on the Forum features I guess. Apparently the mustache is a giveaway. Was glad to hear some positive feedback on the monthly Bugle articles as I have been wondering if anyone even reads them 

Sounds like y'all were on the road quite a bit. Our toughest day was Sunday. From  Hershey to Brian's in Charlotte, unload car, then to car wash to wash BA truck AND BA trailer, then to Bob's in Winston -Salem, then back to Brian's (in his Regal spots car) then I head home to Athens,  in heavy rain. Two-thirds the way home my eyes start crossing so pull over on an exit, set my cell alarm for 45 minutes then on to the house arriving around 2:00 am to a tail waggin Elvis and hugs from Reet before falling in bed and sleeping till noon.  Quite an adventure. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, kgreen said:

Lamar, parts car for me?

IMG_7525.JPG

?  not quite, but a wonderful condition driver. Loved the original interior, red wheels and black walls. There did seem to be lots of 30s-40s parts there though, 50s, not so many. I may look into changing that next year. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2017 at 3:53 PM, MrEarl said:

The restored Buicks were nice but honestly I spent more time in the HPOF area looking at some unbelievable original condition cars, my faves

The HPOF is always my favorite part of the Hershey show. I generally go through that section first and then the rest of the field.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Following up with a note about what I received in the mail a couple days ago. Thanks for the thanks Brian, but the thanks goes to you. Though I have always wanted to go, who knows if I would have ever actually made it to Hershey without your invite to help get that Roadmaster there. Thanks brotha!!

802A2E92-7F7E-4A43-A7B6-2873B39940B4.jpeg04EAC419-8808-4C28-A93A-1639C4888797.jpeg

• Like 6