DB26

New Member / Old Dodge / Many Questions

Nice looking machine, congrats!  Pulling the oil pan on one of these isn't all that difficult.  The leak on the float can then be soldered or chances are Myers can sell you a good used one.  

I will pull that pan in the future. I can live with a leaky oil float. Right now my focus is getting paperwork with the DMV. Speaking of that. The car went for the 10 mile round trip journey to the DMV (Side note: the DMV doesnt like the vehicle identification tag, so now I have to get it verified at the California Highway Patrol...lame) It did pretty good on the way, it doesnt shift into 2nd very easily, but it gets in. The way back was a different story, the engine went through periods of no power almost felt like it was running on 2 cylinders, and it backfired twice. By the time it made it back home it was normal, other than the leaks it gets when warm. (Some oil and some transmission) The clutch likes to pulsate up and down when running too. Here's video of the linkage:

Pedal play, sounds like it could use some lube.

The pulsing when driving must be something bent or out of alignment in the cover (pressure plate) or possibly the clutch plate itself.

I'll have to check the Clutch soon.

In other news, I'm trying to figure out my ignition key switch. I'm thinking it might have been replaced and then eventually partially bypassed.  You can see the ignition switch that has been added to the right of the dash in this photo:

IMG_1209.thumb.JPG.102cdbe034d188ea8398dc3fd5de0ae8.JPG

And here is what the original looks like:

IMG_1328.thumb.JPG.1f777cb69ffb6aca1c253fe002637352.JPG

Notice the keyhole looks quite chewed up. I have no key for it obviously. 

And heres is the back of the unit. I don't see the Clum name anywhere. 

IMG_1334.thumb.PNG.bda30d40f101ae00943b55e798fb2be6.PNG

IMG_1338.thumb.PNG.cbfeb6c87932912cd63bb7e84723192e.PNG

It looks like that could be an aftermarket replacement switch but I'm only comparing it to what is on my '25  which uses a cardboard-like material for the non-conductive backing plate.  It appears yours is also a 4 position switch (off is being hidden by the handle?).   If you can get the correct MIM for 1926, it should have a wiring diagram that will allow you to cipher things out.  I've attached photos of the '25 switch and I was going to scan in the wiring diagram but my scanner is being uncooperative.  Some one here should be able to help by posting the correct wiring diagram (it may be different than '25 since they went to separate starter and generator, as in your car).  I was able to bend the 4 tabs to open up the switch and carefully clean and lube it but I'm not sure if you can get that one open.

Ig Switch front.jpg

Ig switch back.jpg

Thanks so much for the pictures. Yes your switch is pretty much what all others I've found look like. So I'm sure mine has been replaced. The amp meter isn't original either. I will slowly revert all things back to normal as time goes on.