What kind storage facilty do members use?

kreed

Would like to start a new topic where members describe or show how they store/ show  their cars as it seems many people have more than one ( it is an serious addiction ,admit it) and if you are like me, my home two car garage is full and my daily drivers set outside in the Iowa winters ( wife not happy). I currently rent space at a close-by local storage unit where each of my cars is located Iin a 10X20 '  "box" that barely lets me open the doors without banging them and costs me $100 month? Of  course, my fat belly doesn't help any but that's another story. Would love to see some pictures posted from members . I am currently planning a storage building near to my home and would like to have some ideas of what others have done . Particularly interested to know whether a pole barn, old barn , steel frame , roofing, siding, insulation, heating, cooling , flooring,sprinklered, etc - lessons learned , etc . Thanks

KReed

ROA 14549

Edited by kreed
Misspelling (see edit history)

Obviously geographic area and budget weighs heavily on decision. Years ago I used the typical metal storage facilities that are everywhere. They are great for short term needs but I'm not a big fan for long term storage yet sometimes its the best option for the budget. There is no temperature control, rodent control and you have to hope that some nitwit a few spaces down doesn't store items that will start a fire. I would never have thought these metal buildings could burn but have seen two in my area that were total losses after a massive fire.  

The basic metal pole building remains the lowest cost per Sq foot to erect and therefore is pretty common in my area but when you start adding concrete, insulation and some form of HVAC costs go up considerably. Other construction offers better/stronger shell where inclement weather is a factor as well as better security. Metal pole-type buildings are not real secure in my opinion because the metal shell can be easily compromised by even inexperienced thieves. If they have finished walls inside that really helps improve security. Again where one lives security may be more or less concern.

If budget can support it, I would suggest a concrete block structure full height of outside walls, insulated and finished on the inside. Metal hidden fastener standing seam roof with trusses designed for extra storage overhead. Definitely a heated concrete floor (assuming cold winter climate) with the best bulletproof industrial floor coating and a split system type A/C unit to help maintain humidity in summer. A sprinkler system is a significant up-cost and don't know if its worth it. Some building codes these days may require it. High quality insulated garage doors and steel/steel framed heavy duty man door. I personally do not like windows in a garage with anything of higher value inside. Although a window higher up to let in natural light is sometimes a good trade-off. Basically you don't want the kooks looking in to see what you have nor create an easy access by breaking a window. 

Edit:I want to add that this suggestion is relative to the OP. Not meant to indicate anything less is not acceptable. Trust me, I've stored cars in some rickety dirt floor sheds, barns, carports, and garages and I was THRILLED just to have a space under roof. Its all relative. When you grow up having to do all repairs including engine swaps, rebuilds outdoors, any structure that keeps rain and snow off you is a real blessing! ;) 

My car is fortunate to be in what I feel is in an excellent environment. Block garage with porcelain tile over heated concrete floor and porcelain tile walls for bling. This is not a garage where vehicles are worked on. Fully insulated, well sealed door so even small bugs have a hard time getting in and even if they do they will die from pest control. Has a security system as well. Car has been there uncovered since Nov and no detectable dust on it! this is a nice benefit because its a pain everytime someone wants to see the cars you have to uncover them then recover them when forced air HVAC is present. The heated floor is excellent for maintaining humidity and consistent temperature under and over the car. Currently no A/C but that may be coming. It is sealed/insulated so well that last summer even on 90 degree days it stayed very comfortable inside. This garage is located where I work and was built by the owner. I couldn't even afford the tile on the floor/walls ($40k) let alone the whole garage.

I see the level of cars you are building and to me the biggest concern would be environmental control, security from kooks, care free protection from extreme weather. Well insulated, heated floor, A/C, sealed tight to keep out rodents and eliminate extreme or rapid temperature swings during changing seasons and weather.

IMG_2195.JPG

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I found a place that does steel buildings that don't need a concrete foundation.  No concrete = no taxes here.  No electric - it's just a glorified shed.  It looks roughly like the pic below.  When I get older and start downsizing, I'll put it on craigslist and someone will come and disassemble it and take it away.

I leveled and compacted a gravel pad.  They're installing it once mud season is over.  This will give me a place to put all of my lawn/garden/recreation stuff in and clear out space for my project car/trucks in the real garages.

Right now I'm parking the commuter underneath the Riv.

Garage.jpg

image.jpeg

Very jealous. I live in a condo and mine sits in a carport with a car cover on it! That's all I got.

Considering the circumstances, it stays very clean and no rodent problem yet. Weather in the PNW is mild though, that helps.

Jason  - your car is in the ultimate garbage which it so well  deserves !  Looking at heated floors but at $6 SF probably going to be out of my budget . Considering epoxy vs polished concrete right now . Polished concrete about twice as high so lots to consider . Appreciate everyone's input so far . Always great to hear from everyone . 

I’ll throw in here, my little bit anyway.

I don’t have anything NEAR as fancy as Jason uses, and not as Nice as “Riviera Ridge” that was shown in the March/April 2014 Riview either!

I built a 28’X36’ stick built garage on a concrete slab, no heated floors or anything that fancy, not in my price range. I still haven’t been able to add the HVAC yet, but it is kind of planned. I have insulated the walls, but not the ceiling, so until that is complete I have to live with it with no climate control.

58e0521c3bc6c_Paint1005-26-2008-7.thumb.JPG.9cb84ffccb04dd4294aeef600133ef9b.JPG

I did add a lift a few years after the garage was built so I can get four cars into the garage. One kind of between the entry door, one backed into the first garage door, and two in the last bay to the right, one on the lift and one under it.

58e0526230aff_008(1280x960).thumb.jpg.6158b758729560ebfc368525ed6ea8f9.jpg

Then, because of my stupidity, I needed more space, and added a 10’X20’ Shelter Logic tent, I’m on my second one of those. And most recently I added a 12’X28’ portable building I can get one more into, and I have shelves on two sides of it to keep parts on.

IMG_3089.thumb.JPG.fe4e16ac838dd5dd9321a5661032d30d.JPG

SO, I have a backyard full of … stuff, and still not enough space to get “everything” I have out of the weather … yet.

I either need more space OR less Rivieras!!!

As nice as yours are Ken I would go for something with heated floors and/or climate control at a minimum.

• Like 1

I have four paid storage 10x24. Cost adds up and I am now considering getting this 4000 sq foot warehouse so I can really get deep within my mental illness.

I think I would have to do some work to really get it up to par.

IMG_2135.JPG

garage.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rivman said:

I did add a lift a few years after the garage was built so I can get four cars into the garage.

Rivman - I'm thinking likewise regarding a 4-post lift.  My 30 x 48 pole barn seems to be getting smaller all the time...  :huh:  What kind did you get?  Are you happy with it?

Here is a rare shot- almost empty.

002.thumb.jpg.bd4ac73d2af8b710ba8a11509c8c761c.jpg

In 1988 I had this garage built. It is 26' wide and 40' deep. At the time, a friend had a 24X40 in the same configuration. He recommended the extra 2' so three cars could be parked across the back and still open the door. Never regretted that. It cost $10,300 post tax in 1988 money. The time went by fast and in 30 years the money was hardly significant.

At the time lifts in a hobby garage were uncommon. So my walls are 8'. I have a Snap On midrise and have looked at some other options.

Being 30 years old it needs a roof. I am tempted to leave the floor and put in a taller shell.

It has a separate natural gas service and 100 amps of electric.

Anyone younger and involved in the hobby should just go ahead and build if you have the place. Take out a load if needed. It is worth it. You will make money having a building like that.

Oh, mine is 135' from our house. Admittance by invitation only!

Bernie

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:47 PM, RivNut said:

I'm envious of you guys who have room to build shops/garages without the city telling you "No!"

Even in the “county” they tell you NO! I was going to add onto my original garage and they told me I couldn’t!

I was supposed to get a permit, even for the portable building, I just didn’t.

22 hours ago, EmTee said:

Rivman - I'm thinking likewise regarding a 4-post lift.  My 30 x 48 pole barn seems to be getting smaller all the time...  :huh:  What kind did you get?  Are you happy with it?

I know the feeling about getting smaller, after I built mine a friend asked why I didn’t just go 30X40, but it wouldn’t have mattered it would still be FULL! I built with 12’ ceilings with the lift in mind, it just took a few years after the garage was complete to go ahead and do it.

I went with back-yard-buddy, I wanted made in the USA, and after looking into it theirs had the options I wanted. The lift pictured is an extended version, with the red-white-and blue paint scheme they offered.

I was not going to go with them because after talking to them at the Charlotte Auto Fair a couple times they were very arrogant about their lift, BUT, I did after all because it was what I was looking for. Theirs cost a bit more but I think it is well worth it, IMHO.

• Like 1

Bought my house with an existing two car detached garage/side shop combo. Loved the house the minute I saw it, but nearly fainted when I saw the garage. Detached is important. Buddy of mine built his drive in basement dream garage under his dream house on a hill in Atlanta. His entire family hates the sound, vibration, smell and late hours of his car hobby. Not good. Anyway, bought mine specifically for the separation. House and garage were built in 1920 so walls of entire garage are wooden 6" shiplap pine. Kinda of nautical, like being inside some big ship. Garage has upstairs man cave area with bathroom. Cars were smaller in 1920 and my hobby was growing so I expanded. Built back so now have space for 4 cars parked 2 deep. Found reclaimed shiplap lumber and lined walls so it looks like it was always there. Ten years ago I dug out a 12x3' pit, lined it with cinder block and drain so I can get under cars. Also now have 2 small shop areas. Window unit AC/ Heat throughout, wired for 220 and stereo...no TV ever. Usually, I have three cars inside. My daily driver and wife's car are outside. Also have a few trash picked easy chairs set up inside for hanging out. Its often the location for buddies to come over for a few beers, a cigar, music and conversation. IMHO, having my cars and garage close to home is really important. There is a big difference between telling your wife you are going out to the garage for a few hours versus telling her you are driving someplace else to do it. Nothing is better than working in the garage as long as you want, then simply shutting everything down and walking to the house. I certainly could use more space, but like everything else, you've got to be happy with what you've got. I know a lot of guys who literally have no place to go simply to be a guy and do guy stuff. I love my garage and can't imagine life without it.  PRL58e25d8db2664_photo8copy.JPG.946b82f5dc06bb6d1dcc71159ad02483.JPG58e25d9a1c075_photo7copy2.JPG.835271be221188803f010c0f154fc6eb.JPG

• Like 2

Cities have some great commercial building opportunities if you have the smallest marketable skill and can establish an S corporation around it. The local city in my area is about 20 miles away, but I am seeing commercial properties from 5,000 to 10,000 square feet going in the $150,000 range. A good sit down with an accountant can be very rewarding. It is there and available.

Don't listen to "the system". A fixed income is working 40 hours a week and getting the same paycheck every week. It can be a lot better.

Bernie

This post really got me thinking. It's relevant to every car guy. Wouldn't it be great to have a huge space to stash all your treasures? One that is close, secure, affordable, has room to work and maybe even is a cool place to hang out. I know a lot of car guys and their garage/stash take all forms but there is one thing they all have in common. I've noticed a rule...I call it the rule of 30. Here's what I mean: I've got a friend with some really cool vintage Fords all cooped up in small garage behind his house. It takes him about 30 minutes to unpack stuff so he can reach his cars. Another friend has the most well outfitted garage set up you've ever seen stuffed with the best tools and cars ever. He needs about 30 more square feet. There's a guy who keeps all his cars and tools at an airplane hanger. It's located about 30 minutes too far from his home. One guy I know has a huge urban industrial garage in downtown Dallas. At night, crime is crazy down there so he spent about 30K on security measures. Down the street from me is a older guy who finally built the garage he always wanted and outfitted it for storage and do it yourself restoration. He told me he has arthritis, doesn't like to wrench like he used to and should have built his garage 30 years ago. Another dude I met at a show let me tour his ultra slick garage that looks like a nightclub. He paid about 30K too much for paint, mirrors and fancy lights in his garage. On and on. I'm telling you...it's all about 30. Like Jason said earlier, if you've got a roof over your head and your car, you're luckier than most. PRL

• Like 2

Most folks who complain about about having too little room are misdiagnosing the problem; they actually have too much stuff.  Example: if it takes you 30 minutes to dig out your car, you need either a dumpster or an eBay account.  If you have 4 cars under "restoration" (with one outside under a tarp,  another in a barn across the county, and the other two wedged in so tightly that you can't work on either), you need to dump about three of them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

Most folks who complain about about having too little room are misdiagnosing the problem; they actually have too much stuff.

Please do not confuse me with facts!  :blink:

• Like 1

I park in a rented parking spot down the street. HOA doesn't like me working on it, but I don't cause them any problems, so they leave me alone. I check the car almost daily, but it's in a very visible area. I'm working out a hood lock, just to keep parts from walking off.

7 hours ago, jsgun said:

I'm working out a hood lock, just to keep parts from walking off.

The slick answer would be to modify the inside release components from a late model junkyard vehicle to work on your Riviera.  That said, I came up with a simple chain and padlock solution that worked fine on my '56 Chevy.

George-Your construction is jaw dropping. While we are all complaining about the cost of stick frame buildings and tin sheds, you my friend have built the replacement for the NORAD complex at Cheyenne Mountain. If Trump keeps throwing Tomahawks and it gets crazy, you are safe. PRL

• Like 1

Once my garage was built, my basement set up with a work bench and my computer room/home office/library finished, I made a real nice room for my Wife's washer and drier.

I even put in a storage cabinet where she can keep her portable sewing machine.

Bernie

6 hours ago, petelempert said:

George-Your construction is jaw dropping. While we are all complaining about the cost of stick frame buildings and tin sheds, you my friend have built the replacement for the NORAD complex at Cheyenne Mountain. If Trump keeps throwing Tomahawks and it gets crazy, you are safe. PRL

Thanks Pete :-). Idea was to build something that will fit the landscape and will not damage nice surrounding view we have. We had to demolish a bit one side of a small hill and to build the garages in that place there. Heavy construction was necessary to hold the ground so it will not push (or worse slide down) on the garage back wall...