Caddy Tail Fins on A Chevy

Hudsy Wudsy

Many of you will recall that back in early July a nice lady named Doreen requested help from the forum in identifying numerous old car parts that were in a building that she was employed in. The site may have once been a dealership, or maybe a body shop. I don't recall right now. Of the many items she posted pictures of, one was an odd bolt-on Caddy tail fin. It took me a while, but I eventually remembered that a particularly eccentric Chicago Hudson dealer offered new Hudsons with those add-on Cadillac tail fins and other adornments in a package. He had name plates made for the cars which labeled the Hudsons as "Jets", two or three years before Hudson actually marketed the unwanted, unneeded and ill-conceived Hudson Jet. (I apologize for boring you with all of that background). I wasn't around at the time, but those post war Cadillacs with the tail fins must have really caught the imagination of folks. I can say that when I was a kid in the fifties people were still talking about them frequently in one context or another. I don't know if there is anyone around anymore that still has "tail fin envy", but here's a '50 Chevy with bolt-on Caddy fins for sale on ebay that I thought you folks might get a chuckle out of.

$(KGrHqEOKpoE4mEZjHbTBOP2n5mEe!~~0_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Chevy-2-door-hardtop-rare-car-WILL-TAKE-PAYMENTS-/200639119874?pt=Salvage_Parts_Cars&hash=item2eb7060202&vxp=mtr

Guest AlCapone

Pieces from this and pieces from that. They used to call them junkyard specials. You end up with a mongrel or a nothing car ! Not my idea of a show piece or collector car !

Wayne

I don't know how if JC Whitney was around back then or not, but I can't help but wonder if they, or some similar outfit, might have offered these for sale.

In 1915, our founder Israel Warshawsky opened The Warshawsky Company in Chicago, Illinois. It was a scrap metal yard that salvaged parts from old, disused automobiles to sell them to those who needed replacement parts. Ever the visionary, Warshawsky soon began to purchase failed auto manufacturers with an eye towards retail. He opened his own retail store and began adding new parts to his already growing inventory.

The next big stage of our company's growth came in 1934 when Warshawsky's son, Roy, joined the company. At this time, the Warshawsky wholesale catalog, while very popular, saw distribution limited to the Chicago area. He proposed expanding their influence and soon ads inviting readers to trade in 25 cents for a ìgiant auto parts catalogî started popping up in publications like Popular Mechanics. Response was tremendous, and the JC Whitney catalog was on its way to achieving its status as a beloved reference for serious do-it-yourselfers and automobile enthusiasts.

Pieces from this and pieces from that. They used to call them junkyard specials. You end up with a mongrel or a nothing car ! Not my idea of a show piece or collector car !

Wayne

You do understand that we are not talking about pieces literally carved off of cars in junkyards, but, rather, dress up items available on the after market, don't you?

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy
none (see edit history)

Wayne

My thought was those types of cars we call Custom cars. Seems the custom car guys think they know better on how style/build a car over stylist that have spent years in school and practical experience. If your really that good, build your own car from the ground up instead of messing with a real stylist creation. After all you wouldn't buy a famous painting and add your own touches to it. Same thing, car styling is a form of rolling art.

Look at this conglomeration of parts, a true junkyard special;

http://cdn.celebritycarsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/Barry-weiss-beatnik-front-end-600x357.png

http://static6.therichestimages.com/cdn/600/238/90/cw/wp-content/uploads/barry-weiss-beatnik-hotrod-600x238.png

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/bubble-top-madness-michael-kerckaert.jpg

When I was a kid I remember seeing these on a few cars. My Dad liked them so much he even put them on a 51 he had. He bought a set of them in a Struass Auto Parts Store in The Bronx around 1967 or 68. They were like a Pep Boys type of store in NYC area. Looking at the picture I think his were different and the taillight housings were removed and these mounted over the openings

Edited by Biscayne John (see edit history)

My thought was those types of cars we call Custom cars. Seems the custom car guys think they know better on how style/build a car over stylist that have spent years in school and practical experience. If your really that good, build your own car from the ground up instead of messing with a real stylist creation. After all you wouldn't buy a famous painting and add your own touches to it. Same thing, car styling is a form of rolling art.

Look at this conglomeration of parts, a true junkyard special;

http://cdn.celebritycarsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/Barry-weiss-beatnik-front-end-600x357.png

http://static6.therichestimages.com/cdn/600/238/90/cw/wp-content/uploads/barry-weiss-beatnik-hotrod-600x238.png

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/bubble-top-madness-michael-kerckaert.jpg

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Bizarre color schemes bother me the most. I generally am sickened by two toning cars without regard for the existing body lines. I will admit, though, that sometimes the stylists screw up big time. Check out the front end of this '42 Olds. It looks to me to have been styled by committee:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYe--quANKBm9Hm7g0U3BApsIGkuuAe3g1LNp9XwMvVjIrfQSs

I do not know, but do not believe J. C. Whitney was a bonafide individual having a connection to the Warshawsky enterprises.

My understanding was that "J. C. Whitney" was an "Americanized" name, similar to a stage-name. Like many others, it was chosen to not sound foreign, or not to sound too "Jewish" since there was, and continues to be significant anti-semitism.

My Uncle had a new 50 Chevy HT that he had REAL CADDY fins welded in place. He did them right, as did lots of other GOOD body men did back then.

As always, if done right modified cars can be cool pieces, some purist just don't get it. Those that beat to a different drum understand the purists rights to be PURIST, I just SMILE and walk on when one tries to tell me I screwed up my car/cars.

Dale in Indy

My Uncle had a new 50 Chevy HT that he had REAL CADDY fins welded in place. He did them right, as did lots of other GOOD body men did back then.

As always, if done right modified cars can be cool pieces, some purist just don't get it. Those that beat to a different drum understand the purists rights to be PURIST, I just SMILE and walk on when one tries to tell me I screwed up my car/cars.

Dale in Indy

Dale, It's not that we don't get it. What is bothersome is taking someone else's creation and re doing it. If you are that creative build your own car. If you were able to buy the Mona Lisa from the Louvre museum you wouldn't paint a mustache on her over Leonardo da Vinci's work would you? It does not matter how famous the artist/stylist is. It's desecrating someone's work.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Nothing personal here,

So the design engineers TWEAKING the current design are DESECRATING someone's work? He/she might look at the current grill, and say, IT WILL LOOK BETTER THIS WAY......, or NO, he/she should create their own car, I don't think it works that way in the real world.

I AM able to CREATE cool pieces, I know from where I speak.

I'm all for purist doing their thing, I think it's great they keep their cars/trucks original. I have admired many of their pieces, and will continue to do such. You tell me why I would want to drive an original 1941 Limited all over the country at today's speeds, without power steering, power brakes, air, seat belts, good fuel mileage, etc? There are plenty of 41's in original condition for the world to see, so I modified mine, and very happy with the results.

With that said, I have never walked up to a purist car and bad mouthed his original piece, but certainly have had purist, unsolicited, bad mouth my creations.

I am so happy to see MANY Buick owners on this site that own both original cars, and modified pieces.

Love this site,

Dale in Indy

Dale, you have to understand that, for most of us on this site (myself included), the essence of a surviving "classic" car is not what it can be but what it is. To see one used a "personal expression" or an "updated tribute" is an anachronism. This is very much like how mountaineers feel when they see gang kids and housewives walking shopping malls in $300.00 mountaineering boots. Or how Olympic/professional track athletes feel when they see the same things done in their similarly priced specialty shoes (usually by the more overweight factions of said groups).

As for:

You tell me why I would want to drive an original 1941 Limited all over the country at today's speeds, without power steering, power brakes, air, seat belts, good fuel mileage, etc?

...which I believe should have started with the word "Can"..., I can tell you why. The limitations of the original capabilities of the cars ARE their appeal. Of course anybody who can make a $400.00 car payment can drive 8 second 0-60 car with an insular/comfortable/quiet interior today whose handling abilities shame Corvettes that haven't even achieved antique status yet. But not everyone is looking for that experience in their hobby car as well. There is a thrill at 20 mph in a curved dash Oldsmobile that no modern car, or Resto-Mod, can match under any circumstances or speed. And that thrill can be found at similar speeds in 1951 MGs, 1931 Fords, 1961 Ramblers, etc...., and in 1941 Buicks.

Does your Buick thrill you at 20 mph? Or more appropriately, have the modifications you've done enhanced or diluted that thrill?

"Today's speeds" are not what this is about.

And yes there is danger and risk involved in this. My Triumph was totaled last Sunday night when a young kid (not paying attention to what he was doing) crossed the center line and d@nm near killed me. My seat belt and skills as a driver saved my life. (I was 2/3rds off on the shoulder trying to avoid him, and he eventually tagged by back wheel [missing my body by less than a foot] head-on sending me on a violent spin through roadside brush.) It could have been MUCH worse.

No amount of modification or improvement would have changed anything about the wreck (the seatbelts were factory equipment). It happened at 35 mph (both cars).

But, before the wreck, it was a thrilling 35 mph.:cool:

Edited by Dave@Moon
added bold (see edit history)

Amen to that. Being arty as I am, I find it very interesting that the negative comments come from a few so called PURIST, if they were so PURE they would respect other view points, but NO, they have to show who they really are.

Every time this subject comes up it is STARTED by some tunnel visioned purist.

I can't be offended, I have been insulted by experts, and even had a few ask to borrow my watch to tell me what time it is.

Dale in Indy

You would think that bringing a modified car to the table ( AACA Forum ) would disgust the people who enjoy this forum and this club. After all AACA is the last word in the stone stock car club category. AACA is the place where many people have gone when their brand specific club has let modified's into their clubs.

I try not to bring my two modified cars into discussion at this forum for the above reasons. They are modified into Grand Touring cars with the ability to be used on the street and track, however their bodies look as they were intended by their stylist and I use engines that were made by that brand.

My understanding was that "J. C. Whitney" was an "Americanized" name, similar to a stage-name. Like many others, it was chosen to not sound foreign, or not to sound too "Jewish" since there was, and continues to be significant anti-semitism.

Marty, and others, that anti-Semitism can still exist at this point in our national history absolutely baffles me. America's Jewish came to our shores later and in smaller numbers than many of our other immigrants. While they arrived as impoverished any other group, they faced more intense hatred and bigotry than any. Despite having to overcome incredible obstacles, their indomitable pursuit of excellence has contributed to the success of our country in countless ways. Their contributions to science, industry, health, education, government, arts, business and so many other areas of endeavor are so glaringly obvious that to not recognize them is to be blind. This Irish American feels nothing but respect, admiration and affection for our Jewish brothers and sisters!

helfen, Just like watching TV, if you don't like the show/program, TURN IF OFF, or try another channel. So, if you see a post on a modified piece, and don't have interest, then move on.

Until the site/forum tells me modified comments/pictutres are forbidden, then I will post such.

I posted my comments AFTER negative post regarding modified cars were posted.

I for one would love to hear about YOUR two modified cars, PICTURES tooooooo! Sounds like you have an OPEN mind on modifies, so I'm looking forward seeing your pieces, FOR SURE.

Dale in Indy

helfen, Just like watching TV, if you don't like the show/program, TURN IF OFF, or try another channel. So, if you see a post on a modified piece, and don't have interest, then move on.

Until the site/forum tells me modified comments/pictutres are forbidden, then I will post such.

I posted my comments AFTER negative post regarding modified cars were posted.

I for one would love to hear about YOUR two modified cars, PICTURES tooooooo! Sounds like you have an OPEN mind on modifies, so I'm looking forward seeing your pieces, FOR SURE.

Dale in Indy

Sorry Dale, those two cars of mine don't really belong here. It would be like trying to squeeze a custom car or foreign car into the pages of Hemmings Classic Car magazine which doesn't allow those types, when they belong in some other magazine like rod and Custom etc.

There are many many instances on this forum where someone has asked a question about modifying a vehicle where someone has suggested the question should be asked somewhere else like the Hamb.

As the General Discussion part of this forum says;

"Melting pot forum for everyone interested in antique vehicles"

Anytime you modify a Antique car it no longer is a antique car. My two cars for GT are not any longer antique cars.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Ordinarily I would side with the purists, but I've already seen multitudes of correct early fifties Chevys, so in this particular instance I would make an exception for this tastefully done and rarely seen, (by me anyway) type of period correct automotive aftermarket bling. The key here for me, being rare and period correct, instead of mag wheels, wide white walls, fender skirts, and a blower sticking out of the hood, all on the same car.

Edited by Larry W (see edit history)

Well, no one else has admitted to having a set, so here goes. Yeah, I'll have to admit having these is a little embarassing.... At least installation was easy with no cutting, welding, leading, etc. It would have requiring punching holes and tapping power to them from the original tail lights, which as can be seen were retained on the car pictured.

I don't consider a car with these to be customized, just "dressed up" if you will, by attaching them with 3 sheet metal screws through their provided holes. These particular ones were contoured for the '49-'50 Chevrolet but I have seen another similar set for a different make or model.

They don't appear in a Warshawski catalog covering cars up to 1960. Question: Were there both J. C. Whitney and Warshawski catalogs out at the same time?

post-54604-143142746034_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

Well, no one else has admitted to having a set, so here goes. Yeah, I'll have to admit having these is a little embarassing.... At least installation was easy with no cutting, welding, leading, etc. It would have requiring punching holes and tapping power to them from the original tail lights, which as can be seen were retained on the car pictured.

I don't consider a car with these to be customized, just "dressed up" if you will, by attaching them with 3 sheet metal screws through their provided holes. These particular ones were contoured for the '49-'50 Chevrolet but I have seen another similar set for a different make or model.

They don't appear in a Warshawski catalog covering cars up to 1960. Question: Were there both J. C. Whitney and Warshawski catalogs out at the same time?

Dave, If you were to enter a Chevy in a VCCA clubs car show it would put you in a modified category, and certainly points deduction in a AACA event if they let you enter.

I have a 1960 edition J.C. Whitney catalog. I'll have to look for it.

Edited by Larry W (see edit history)