Local car show, EV Cord.

We are all on the same page….

I was never a Dodge guy.

I now have had 3 Laramie Hemi full 4 door 1500 since my 2006 Lincoln LT .

V8 , Hemi, all leather and get almost 500 miles to a tank!!

All that for 534 dollars a month lease

Its a lot better than the 100 grand for the Lightning truck

It’s a novelty , we have along way to go.

You like electric God Bless you but once you try it, most dump it very very fast

Ive joined that club

Gtjoey1314

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

I still think a truck should be setup like a locomotive. A small efficient diesel driving a genset with electric wheel motors. Pull anything and be efficient. 

That is how the Chevy Volt was setup, but with a gas engine.

Chevy killed it a few years ago.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

I still think a truck should be setup like a locomotive. A small efficient diesel driving a genset with electric wheel motors. Pull anything and be efficient. 

Not really done for outright efficency. This arrangement lets the prime mover run at its optimum RPM, and the drive motors produce at a much lower RPM without the use of a reduction gear box. But there are lots of energy losses. Mechanical and thermal.  

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Hmm, you guys need to look up Owen Magnetic! Now that is more of the engine driving a generator and then through controls drive an electric motor. 1915 technology too!👍

Extremely rare. Jay Leno has one and I know of two in Virginia, not on the road. I would love to have had one, but I could never get that family to part with them. 

• Like 2

A device with windings that makes motive power from an electric current is an electric motor. 😉

When I was an Engineering student the schematic of an Owen Magnetic was in one of the reference books in the library. Very interesting!👍

I shall quote Wikipedia, who quoted Harry B. Lent:

The drive mechanism had no direct connection between the engine and the rear wheels. Instead of a flywheel, a generator and a horseshoe shaped magnet were attached to the rear of the engine's crank shaft. On the forward end of the car's drive shaft, was an electric motor with an armature fitted into an air space inside the whirling magnet. Electric current, transmitted by the engine's generator and magnet attached to the armature of the electrical motor, providing the energy to turn the drive shaft and propel the engine's rear wheels. Speed for the car was controlled by a small lever adjacent to the steering wheel.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There is a group of guys In BC who started their own company a few years ago called Edison Motors. They have built a logging truck with the diesel generator and electric motors idea. I have found it very interesting following along the process from the start to actually getting the truck certified for the road. They have proven the concept and are now working on a pickup conversion with a diesel generator and electric motor combination. Debossgarage is actually in the process of converting a pickup right now for Edison Motors. It is a big rabbit hole to go down online if you want to fall into it.

https://www.edisonmotors.ca/

https://www.edisonmotors.ca/edison-pickup-kit

https://debossgarage.com/builds/diesel-electric-edison-pickup

• Like 1

Someone must be listening

Ford just announced they are Paying for your charger and Installing in or outside the house as well!

Wonder why?

Call me in 100 years we might get 300 miles on a charge by then…..

and remember it’s not 300

If you go 150…..you need 150 to get back🤣

Bahaaaaaa

Gtjoey

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gtjoey said:

Ford just announced they are Paying for your charger and Installing in or outside the house as well!

Wonder why?

Bahaaaaaa

Gtjoey

A Tesla Model S Long Range Plus is good for 402 miles.   Granted that is flat, 65 mph with no circus elephants in the back seat.

I don't have a problem with people that want to drive an electric car.  I have a problem with people telling me I have to drive an electric car.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, alsancle said:

A Tesla Model S Long Range Plus is good for 402 miles.   Granted that is flat, 65 mph with no circus elephants in the back seat.

I don't have a problem with people that want to drive an electric car.  I have a problem with people telling me I have to drive an electric car.

Agreed.  Don't need to be told what kind of car I "have" to drive.  I have no problem with electric either, and think a reasonably priced EV for around town would be great.  I don't think such a beast exists.

We're being asked to drive EVs to "save the planet", while other countries are building coal fired electrical facilities at an alarming rate.

Also, that EV power has to come from somewhere, electricity is NOT an energy source, it's just a carrier of energy produced elsewhere.  We don't have the infrastructure for everyone to have an EV.

I call it not knowing "what's behind the wall".  One plugs into an electrical socket thinking that's just a magical source of energy, it's not, but they think that because they don't know what goes on behind the wall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, trimacar said:

Agreed.  Don't need to be told what kind of car I "have" to drive.  I have no problem with electric either, and think a reasonably priced EV for around town would be great.  I don't think such a beast exists.

We're being asked to drive EVs to "save the planet", while other countries are building coal fired electrical facilities at an alarming rate.

Also, that EV power has to come from somewhere, electricity is NOT an energy source, it's just a carrier of energy produced elsewhere.  We don't have the infrastructure for everyone to have an EV.

I call it not knowing "what's behind the wall".  One plugs into an electrical socket thinking that's just a magical source of energy, it's not, but they think that because they don't know what goes on behind the wall.

Dave,  for the most part you are preaching to the choir here.   We have a few that are trolling and few others with liberal arts degrees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am at the verge of replacing my wifes dd. I have not done a lot of research yet, but IF I could trust any claims I would absolutely look for a used Tesla. I may be wrong but my perception is that I may as well buy a used Jaguar. A hybrid is also in my thought process. I refuse (at least at this point) to buy new for several reasons. Only because I hate paying for gas, LOL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TAKerry said:

I am at the verge of replacing my wifes dd. I have not done a lot of research yet, but IF I could trust any claims I would absolutely look for a used Tesla. I may be wrong but my perception is that I may as well buy a used Jaguar. A hybrid is also in my thought process. I refuse (at least at this point) to buy new for several reasons. Only because I hate paying for gas, LOL.

Kerry,   I have multiple friends with Tesla's  and all the reviews are positive.  You really need to look at what you are paying for electricity and do some math.  Buying new there are a number of incentives (paid for by you and I) that really bring the costs down.

A solar roof system will also bring the costs way down but it will make your house look like a piece of crap.   Although some people like to virtue signal and don't car or are happy about it.   I'm waiting for Elon to perfect his solar roof system that looks like regular shingles.

I do as well AJ, know of a few people with Teslas that is. All the people I talk to love them. I have talked briefly with a member on here whose son works for them and he gave me some good pointers. I am not seriously looking right now and if I get the urge to 'go green' I think I can muster up enough info to be dangerous, LOL.

When I built my barn/shop a few years ago I was seriously considering solar. I was planning on buying the system outright. I took the cost of the installation, what it was supposed to save on electric, and compared to my current electric bill. I figured it would take something along the lines of 20 years to break even, and the panels deteriorate so who knows how effective/efficient they would be by the time they actually started making money? If I were 30 yrs old I may have considered it but at 60 there is very little that I long term plan for 20 yrs ahead.

We were pricing a job a few years when the solar panel shingles had come out. That was most def. cost prohibitive!!

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2024 at 6:46 PM, BobinVirginia said:

there are more and more with aftermarket companies doing just that ,also industrial equipment .....we just recently bought a John Deere 744 loader that has that exactly ......and running nearly twice as efficient as conventional laoder with transmission

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

solar roof system will also bring the costs way down but it will make your house look like a piece of crap. 

If you have a dark roof, I see no real difference in looks. Lots in neighborhoods around me.

DO care about the need to replace the roof and to do so all those solar cell panels need to come off the roof and then be reinstalled!

My rule, no holes through perfectly good shingles! 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

If you have a dark roof, I see no real difference in looks. Lots in neighborhoods around me.

DO care about the need to replace the roof and to do so all those solar cell panels need to come off the roof and then be reinstalled!

My rule, no holes through perfectly good shingles! 🤔

Solar panels are to houses what whitewalls and pilot rays are to prewar cars.

image.jpeg.f3591b86d675c8951c7ec05ddadb839a.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

David

My son just leased a Cadillac Lyriq, it fits his needs and most likely 2/3's of the of the people I know. He put down $2000, and his payments are $320 a month for 12,000 miles a year for 2 years, I would say that is somewhat affordable.  It really is luxurious speaking as a current new Cadillac owner, it looks, feels, rides, like a Cadillac is supposed to, not a Cadillac pretending to be a BMW. There are also rebates for now under the current administration because the vehicle is 75% American Made. (what a concept! reward those who buy American) 

As far as the carbonless electric energy, the project is going on now and has been for some time. Massive wind farms in the ocean are under construction from the Martha's Vinyard to the Outer Banks. Con Edison, who supplies NYC its electrical power is planning to be carbonless by 2035 and the project is in full swing now.

Here is an article from this past August from Electrical Construction and Maintenance.

https://www.ewweb.com/green-market/wind/article/55133399/leases-awarded-for-wind-farm-development-off-the-coasts-of-delaware-maryland-and-virginia

The anticipation of lowering the grid was being prepped for during the Bush II Administration, with the implementation of the Energy Star Program, offering companies who can get their buildings to run more efficient consuming less power. LED lighting on the commercial level had and continues to have a tremendous effect on lowering the demand on the grid, as well as efficient motors on A/C systems and alike. The load on the grid has been in the process of being lowered and stabilized for the past 20+ years.  What about Government fleet use? Post office vehicles. Municipalities? Places where solar panels can be installed on flat roofs and charging can be self-contained? This country always thought out of the box and was innovative and applied ideas to good use. It's not Christmas morning anymore and the batteries died on our new toy in a 1/2 hour. If EV"s are not for you they are not for you, I agree they are not for everyone, but I would have to say the grid is the issue... My son made a comparison to me about public charging stations and diesel fuel, he said when "have one you know where to look for it, and if you don't, you don't even notice it" I guess he makes a valid point, but it is a lifestyle change.

Remember they are not like a cell phone where you plug them in every night

These projects going on now are PLA's assuring that they are going to manufacture the product in the US and hire skilled labor. I know that they are constructing two plants to manufacture the wind turbines now in NYC, one in Brooklyn and one in Staten Island. Those are the ones that I know of.  This will be just like the space program all over again, as huge economic driver in every state. 

We all keep hearing how the grid can't handle it, but the same people who say that fail to mention that our nuclear power houses that were built over 40 years ago are all coming offline, because the fuel is spent. They lived their life expectancy. The decommissioning has been going on now for several years, but no new plants were needed to replace them. Most of the nuclear plants in Northeast are pretty much offline now   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John348 said:

David

My son just leased a Cadillac Lyriq, it fits his needs and most likely 2/3's of the of the people I know. He put down $2000, and his payments are $320 a month for 12,000 miles a year for 2 years, I would say that is somewhat affordable.  It really is luxurious speaking as a current new Cadillac owner, it looks, feels, rides, like a Cadillac is supposed to, not a Cadillac pretending to be a BMW. There are also rebates for now under the current administration because the vehicle is 75% American Made. (what a concept! reward those who buy American) 

As far as the carbonless electric energy, the project is going on now and has been for some time. Massive wind farms in the ocean are under construction from the Martha's Vinyard to the Outer Banks. Con Edison, who supplies NYC its electrical power is planning to be carbonless by 2035 and the project is in full swing now.

Here is an article from this past August from Electrical Construction and Maintenance.

https://www.ewweb.com/green-market/wind/article/55133399/leases-awarded-for-wind-farm-development-off-the-coasts-of-delaware-maryland-and-virginia

The anticipation of lowering the grid was being prepped for during the Bush II Administration, with the implementation of the Energy Star Program, offering companies who can get their buildings to run more efficient consuming less power. LED lighting on the commercial level had and continues to have a tremendous effect on lowering the demand on the grid, as well as efficient motors on A/C systems and alike. The load on the grid has been in the process of being lowered and stabilized for the past 20+ years.  What about Government fleet use? Post office vehicles. Municipalities? Places where solar panels can be installed on flat roofs and charging can be self-contained? This country always thought out of the box and was innovative and applied ideas to good use. It's not Christmas morning anymore and the batteries died on our new toy in a 1/2 hour. If EV"s are not for you they are not for you, I agree they are not for everyone, but I would have to say the grid is the issue... My son made a comparison to me about public charging stations and diesel fuel, he said when "have one you know where to look for it, and if you don't, you don't even notice it" I guess he makes a valid point, but it is a lifestyle change.

Remember they are not like a cell phone where you plug them in every night

These projects going on now are PLA's assuring that they are going to manufacture the product in the US and hire skilled labor. I know that they are constructing two plants to manufacture the wind turbines now in NYC, one in Brooklyn and one in Staten Island. Those are the ones that I know of.  This will be just like the space program all over again, as huge economic driver in every state. 

We all keep hearing how the grid can't handle it, but the same people who say that fail to mention that our nuclear power houses that were built over 40 years ago are all coming offline, because the fuel is spent. They lived their life expectancy. The decommissioning has been going on now for several years, but no new plants were needed to replace them. Most of the nuclear plants in Northeast are pretty much offline now   

John,  with all due respect,   if you think wind farms are the answer to renewable energy then we are on different pages.

I remember when nearly every farm in America had a windmill.....it wasn't a big successful farm without a windmill.old pictures and paintings always included the windmill....my grandparents ....before electricity came ,had a generator 36 volts option for the windmill with a row of glass batteries in house and sears sold appliances 36 volt ....it also ran the general store ,post office and gas station biz they had from it . 

9 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

I remember when nearly every farm in America had a windmill.....it wasn't a big successful farm without a windmill.old pictures and paintings always included the windmill....my grandparents ....before electricity came ,had a generator 36 volts option for the windmill with a row of glass batteries in house and sears sold appliances 36 volt ....it also ran the general store ,post office and gas station biz they had from it . 

Systems like this still exist within the " off grid " movement. But they do tend to be very expensive on a killowatt hour basis compared to standard electrical grid pricing. Also most households consume far more power these days than when a simple windmill generator / battery bank system was sufficient. And wind in many locations is quite variable. Gusty one day, than quite calm for a week or two. 

Lots of those windmills actually powered water pumps. But windchargers were very popular in many places as well. If nothing else it brought radio to remote farms . 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

John,  with all due respect,   if you think wind farms are the answer to renewable energy then we are on different pages.

Did you look at the link? Many people are not even aware that project is even going on, and yes from my perspective I think it is a very viable source of power. So does the utility that powers the biggest city in the world, along with the Niagra Project that is underway as well

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, John348 said:

Did you look at the link? Many people are not even aware that project is even going on, and yes from my perspective I think it is a very viable source of power. So does the utility that powers the biggest city in the world, along with the Niagra Project that is underway as well

On the subject of wind farms/turbines as per Warren Buffet in 2014 and 2021:  “that’s the only reason to build them.  They don’t make sense without the tax credits” and “we get a tax credit if we build a lot of wind farms”.  Basically the government allows investments in wind farms to reduce taxes which the investing entity would have otherwise paid if generating power through other means.  Tax credits are worth almost three times as much as tax deductions.  So they take your tax dollars and subsidize huge corporations and allow them to reduce their overall tax rate.  I’m not a fan 

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

But those WWWs and pilot rays are not paying the electric bill.

I built a new house about five years ago and with the solar panels my electric bill has only gone over the billing minimum three times.

That billing minimum is fourteen bucks. Pretty easy to get used to after the old place at $300 per month average.

Those panels will pay for themselves WAY before they are worn out.

I intentionally paid up front to achieve low costs in the long run.

The GeoThermal heat/AC costs very little to operate. And with all the latest led lighting, most up to date windows and insulation etc. makes my monthly bills minimal.

I can get over any looks problems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I avoided looking at this thread until now because it upset me so to think of a classic Cord being butchered by installing an EV drivetrain.

But I guess it has veered back into the usual rant about EVs and alternative power in general so I will add my two bit.

On 10/2/2024 at 2:58 AM, Gtjoey said:

Wonder why?

Bahaaaaaa

Gtjoey

Funny. I was able to drive my 1933 Plymouth from Maryland to California via Wisconsin and Texas (not exactly the shortest route) and at highway speeds I can’t count on more than 150 miles on a tank. I don’t recall ever owning a car that could get 300 miles on a tank until the 1980s so I guess gas powered cars were not practical until then.

The real issue is that you need to be able to refill at convenient intervals and it shouldn’t take too much time to refill.

That has been an issue with EVs, not the range per se, but the combination of range, available locations to recharge, and the time to recharge. There have been and continue to be improvements in all of those areas. Newer EVs often get over 300 miles per charge. New and expanded EV charging is coming on line every week. And at least some newer EVs charge several times faster than those of a few years ago.

On 10/2/2024 at 5:24 AM, alsancle said:

Kerry,   I have multiple friends with Tesla's  and all the reviews are positive.  You really need to look at what you are paying for electricity and do some math.  Buying new there are a number of incentives (paid for by you and I) that really bring the costs down.

A solar roof system will also bring the costs way down but it will make your house look like a piece of crap.   Although some people like to virtue signal and don't car or are happy about it.   I'm waiting for Elon to perfect his solar roof system that looks like regular shingles.

One bad thing about the current state of electric cars is that there is higher depreciation than for gas or hybrid cars, possibly because the technology is improving rapidly. You can get a couple year old EV at a very attractive price. Stay away from the Nissan Leaf, very poor battery temperature management means these are about the only EVs with batteries that fail. Tesla had a reputation for poor build quality, I am not sure how that would affect used prices but I’d look at any with close attention to fit, finish, rattles, etc. I’ve only ridden in one Tesla, a Model X that is at least a year newer than my car, and was not impressed by the noise level, etc. But there are lots of brands and models of EVs that have been on the market for enough years that you can check out their long term issues on various review sites.

I can’t help you on the appearance issue with roof top solar other than to say a lot of it depends on the house and roof design and how and when the solar system was installed.

Solar shingles, from Tesla or from others, have traditionally had much lower efficiency and much higher costs than traditional solar panels. I don’t see that changing in the near future.

On 10/2/2024 at 5:34 AM, TAKerry said:

I do as well AJ, know of a few people with Teslas that is. All the people I talk to love them. I have talked briefly with a member on here whose son works for them and he gave me some good pointers. I am not seriously looking right now and if I get the urge to 'go green' I think I can muster up enough info to be dangerous, LOL.

When I built my barn/shop a few years ago I was seriously considering solar. I was planning on buying the system outright. I took the cost of the installation, what it was supposed to save on electric, and compared to my current electric bill. I figured it would take something along the lines of 20 years to break even, and the panels deteriorate so who knows how effective/efficient they would be by the time they actually started making money? If I were 30 yrs old I may have considered it but at 60 there is very little that I long term plan for 20 yrs ahead.

We were pricing a job a few years when the solar panel shingles had come out. That was most def. cost prohibitive!!

How long ago did you build your barn/shop? How high are your local electrical rates? How sunny is your climate?

When we checked out roof top solar electric over 20 years ago it made no financial sense. When we checked again a few years ago, it did. We have had our current system for several years now. Depending on weather, it provides between 80% and 95% of our yearly electrical power. That power is for both our house and well over 80% of our driving. We bought our solar system, basically taking a loan from ourselves (I track the capital and interest based on lost opportunity cost). With savings on our electrical bill, we are on track to pay back that loan to ourselves in the next year, pay off about 4.5 years after installation on a system warranted for 25 years. So we should be good for about 20 years of free power from it. In the meantime our power is dirt cheap and powering our CUV EV costs about $0.03/mile. We are insulated from gasoline price hikes and utilities price hikes which is a pretty good feeling.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

Someone else is listening

News flash

Toyota postpones EV plant in U S till 2026

Gee I wonder if they are waiting to hear what happens in 4 weeks

Imagine if the Big 3 thought like them….

We wouldn’t be bailing their Asks out every 3 or 4 years!

Toyota number one !

Wax on… Wax off!

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

Interesting picture you give to support your point. To me I see NO architectural difference between the solar panels and those skylights! They blend nicely!👍

Now, show me a 1910 farmhouse, with a green or galvanized tin roof, and those panels will stick out like a sore thumb!

People putting on solar panels are suppling power to our grid. This does help lessen the power needed to be supplied by burning fossil fuels. Simple math.

14 hours ago, John348 said:

fail to mention that our nuclear power houses that were built over 40 years ago are all coming offline,

Not here! Surrey came on line in 1972. North Anna came on line in 1978. Four units still going strong. 1/3 of our (Dominion) power comes from these four units.

Yes, farm windmills. Some were just to pump water. Others generated electricity, Wincharger is the well known brand. Zenth sold them also, to go with their 32 volt farm radios of course! And around here they were also commonly known as Delco systems. Delco sold 32 VDC motors to go with their systems. To power farm equipment. 32 volts was common, but I have seen 6 and 110VDC ones also. Lots of info here:

https://www.wincharger.com/

I have been to the North Sea and there are lots of windmills generating lots of power up there!

John, I read the link, FYI I am a ECM subscriber too. 😉

5 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Interesting picture you give to support your point. To me I see NO architectural difference between the solar panels and those skylights! They blend nicely!👍

Now, show me a 1910 farmhouse, with a green or galvanized tin roof, and those panels will stick out like a sore thumb!

People putting on solar panels are suppling power to our grid. This does help lessen the power needed to be supplied by burning fossil fuels. Simple math.

There are plenty of guys on here that think the pilot rays and whitewalls look good too.  Everybody has their own idea of esthetics.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ply33 said:

Funny. I was able to drive my 1933 Plymouth from Maryland to California via Wisconsin and Texas (not exactly the shortest route) and at highway speeds I can’t count on more than 150 miles on a tank. I don’t recall ever owning a car that could get 300 miles on a tank until the 1980s so I guess gas powered cars were not practical until then.

On my way to work nearly 40 years ago, I would pass by four gas stations on the way to and from when there were corner mom & pop gas stations still in operation.  Now its down to two oil-run gas stations, both with convenience stores.   

Getting 300 miles on a tank, and longer service intervals coupled with special tools/diagnostic equipment a vehicle now needs has seen a need for fewer gas stations.

Craig

• Like 1

We had 3 full service stations in a 1/4 mile stretch of main street that is only about 3/4 mile long. The only one left sells gas and lottery tickets, along with a bad cup of coffee. You need to look hard far out of town to find someone that will actually service your car. 

Ooh, that's bad, since coffee is a high profit item. That's why the major C store players have good coffee. Wawa is the best in this department*. It's also why if given a choice I will not go to the small store on an interstate exchange to get coffee. Bottled drink only at that point. 7-11 used to have real bad coffee, those carafes would be on burners for hours.... They changed that.

*Not just my idea, it ranked 1st in a recent survey. QT second with Buc-ee's²­­ and Murphy tied for 3rd. Sheets followed them, tied with Casey. And, I place Royal Farms as #1 in fried chicken for a C store. With my odd working hours Popeyes and Bojangles will be closed, but Royal Farms isn't. I think they will cook chicken for you fresh 24 hours a day!👍😋

I think Sheetz fell so far in the survey because some bonehead took out the fresh brewed iced tea and out in that syrup style dispenser of Gold Peak. That's an insult to the south!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  🤬

²We are getting A Buc-ee's here about 5 miles from me. Oh you should hear the complaints of too much traffic will ruin the area. Hey, it's already an I-95 interstate exchange (140). Maybe you should not have bought a house within sight of an I-95 interstate exchange in a HEAVILY travelled area!😉

Ooh, footnotes, Ha!🤣

• Like 1

This topic has strayed so off that its bound to circle back around soon, LOL but I will continue the derailment. Wawa def the best coffee. I cant throw a stone without hitting at least 4 ROFO's, their coffee is bad now, and the chicken isnt a whole lot better. They have let their standards down. As for the rest, well none of them around me. We just got our first Sheetz but im not crazy about their joe that much either.

• Like 1