Heart to Heart / Hershey fall meet

Gtjoey

1 hour ago, Peter Gariepy said:

If you’re looking for answers, consider joining the Hershey region and becoming an active volunteer for the event, or volunteer to be a member of the AACA Board of Directors. ...Questioning every decision without contributing your time and resources won’t solve the problems you perceive.

Questioning every decision, if done politely,

IS valid.  The directors and office employees

work for us.  Members should always ask questions

constructively.  Those who question things are

usually those who are inherently strong leaders,

and are those who want to see things succeed..

Joining the Hershey region is useful only for those

who live close by.  There are many organizational

meetings.  But those afar can enhance the AACA

in other ways from their own locations.

• Like 2

Next October will be my 56th HERSHEY and I do not plan to stop attending until a higher power tells me to stop. Look, 20 bucks to park all day, big deal. Where I live it's $20 an hour. If you are ticked off, and I have heard some of them also, at the braggart's that boast they do not sell anything but park on the field, then follow Steves advice and let the HERSHEY region know where they are. Just be thankful the HERSHEY Region has the manpower and countless of hours they put in, and probably started in November, to put the event on. There can only be one HERSHEY and it's not in Carlisle!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Between my spaces, the tent rental, and the port a san, I already laid out two grand, I arrive at my hotel Sunday afternoon, and leave Saturday Morning. I come a day early and leave a day late, I enjoy myself and being with my friends that much. This year I am debating on bring less stuff to sell and testing out my new knee and walking around some, I don't know yet I still like hanging out in my spaces listening to music, smoking cigars, and having a few cocktails. Last year I was playing a Dead Concert from Nassau Coliseum from the 80's and my neighbor from across the aisle came over and said could you do me a favor, (they are the Stanley Steamer Crowd) I thought she was going to ask me to turn it down which I would have been more than happy to do, she asked me to turn it up so they could hear it! GAME ON! This year I am bringing some music she requested for the party, and that is what it supposed to be a social event of club members respecting each other and enjoying each other's company, nice to make money, better to make friends

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Who paid for black-topping all of the flea market areas? If it is HE&R then they must have seen some benefit to doing it, for them and the community. Do that many people come to “fright month” activities that they need all of those spaces for parking? This is purely a situation where “he who has the gold makes the rules”. We are forced to accept that, but it does not mean that we have to like it.

One thought I will put out for discussion, is it possible to change the date of the Hershey show to the first Saturday in November or some other date? It may not be possible, but at least it is worth discussing if that would mean a return to the Saturday show.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ted sweet said:

i dont think you can join the hershey region

https://hershey.aaca.com/about/membership/

MEMBERSHIP
Interested in becoming a member of the Hershey Region? Please contact us via email@hr@hersheyaaca.org or complete the information on the Contact Us page. Following is a brief list of some, not all, of the requirements of membership in the Hershey Region.
• A member of the Hershey Region must be an individual, joint or life member of the AACA. Click HERE to join National AACA! All new members of the Hershey Region must be sponsored by a member in good standing of the Hershey Region. The applicant must also be present at the acceptance meeting and must pay an initiation fee and the first year's dues.
• All new members must attend four (4) events per year, where attendance is taken, for a two (2) year period after being accepted into the club.
• A Hershey Region member, except Charter Members, must attend any combination of six (6) business meetings, financially participate in point runs* and/or work at the Fall Meet each fiscal year to be eligible to participate in the following activities: The Fall Weekend trip, the Christmas Party, and the Installation Banquet for the following fiscal year's officers. (Attendance cards should be completed at each business meeting.)
*those exempt from financially participating are officers, board members, and hosts and hostesses for the run

• Thanks 1

This thread illustrates an underling problem which is any suggestion or criticism is swiftly met with condemnation while the underling issue goes unaddressed. Until this organization opens up with a true "State of the Club" and listens to suggestions, it will continue it's downward trajectory. I've come to the realization that I should Enjoy it for what it is, while it is. Trying to help is a fools errand. 

See you at Hershey.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gtjoey said:

I took those numbers right off the aaca web history page

I’m not questioning your numbers or curiosity.

As I previously suggested, if you truly want to contribute, you should do two things:

1.    Join the Hershey Region and/or run for the AACA Board of Directors.
    2.    Understand that solutions to improve the event won’t come solely from the answers you seek. You’ll also need the history and rationale behind the decisions being made.

The Hershey Region is making decisions in good faith for the hobby and community related to the Eastern Fall Meet in Hershey, under the oversight and influence of the AACA Board of Directors. If you want to contribute your feedback, you need to be in a position of knowledge first. 

Until you’re on the inside, your feedback and contributions will always be made in a vacuum. Additionally, the decision-makers are unlikely to be receptive to directives from someone who isn’t knowledgeable about the bigger picture.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CarNucopia said:

criticism is swiftly met with condemnation while the underling issue goes unaddressed.

Your fundamental assumption is incorrect.

I have complete faith that the Hershey Region and the AACA Board of Directors have engaged in far more discussions on these issues, and countless others, than you are aware of. They know the facts and history, are hobbyists like us, and are making the best decisions they can. Your armchair quarterback criticism is unwarranted and without merit.

Feedback on issues (including criticism) posted on this forum is certainly seen by the decision-makers. Just because they don’t agree with the feedback doesn’t mean it isn’t being addressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Your fundamental assumption is incorrect.

I have complete faith that the Hershey Region and the AACA Board of Directors have engaged in far more discussions on these issues, and countless others, than you are aware of. They know the facts and history, are hobbyists like us, and are making the best decisions they can. Your armchair quarterback criticism is unwarranted and without merit.

Feedback on issues (including criticism) posted on this forum is certainly seen by the decision-makers. Just because they don’t agree with the feedback doesn’t mean it isn’t being addressed.

Thank you for illustrating my point about a lack of ability to accept feedback. Is name calling the standard you accept here?

One thing I do want to clarify before reclining my armchair, I was referring to the national organization, not the Hershey Chapter. I have no insight into the details of the event or it's challenges. My experience with National Leadership gives me a near complete lack of faith.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CarNucopia said:

Is name calling the standard you accept here?

“Armchair quarterback" is an American idiom that refers to someone who offers opinions or criticism about an action without actually participating in it.”

If that’s name calling so be it. 

if you find the AACA BOD are not responsive then why not volunteer and fix the problem?

• Like 1

I had no clue after all these years that a local chapter was seperate and running the show.

I kind of understand now , I thought the AACA was just one big national club pertaining to events.

I was not aware that the local Hershey chapter which  I’ll call it was solely in charge of the event.

Im 300 miles away, not sure how I can get involved and do mandatory events under the guide lines but I understand.

Food for thought , maybe someone will take a look at the thread and come up with an idea .

Folks are getting huffy so I’ll call it a day.

Enjoy everyone

Thanks for listening

Gtjoey1314

62225298995__C5B64F19-C475-42E3-8570-E97462C3DB41.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

“Armchair quarterback" is an American idiom that refers to someone who offers opinions or criticism about an action without actually participating in it.”

If that’s name calling so be it. 

if you find the AACA BOD are not responsive then why not volunteer and fix the problem?

Right then..... nice to see you armchair quarterback my repeated attempts to volunteer. 🤣  I even made an offer to you that went unanswered. 

40 minutes ago, Gtjoey said:

I had no clue after all these years that a local chapter was seperate and running the show.

I kind of understand now , I thought the AACA was just one big national club pertaining to events.

I was not aware that the local Hershey chapter which  I’ll call it was solely in charge of the event.

Learn something new every day! :)

34 minutes ago, CarNucopia said:

Right then..... nice to see you armchair quarterback my repeated attempts to volunteer. 🤣  I even made an offer to you that went unanswered. 

I have no clue what you’re referring to.

I have two PMs from you. One was about wanting to analyze the forum statistics I posted in 2023. Since you were not familiar with the statistics tool used to generate them, providing access was moot. The other message was a minor edit request for the AACA club website, which I forwarded to the appropriate person, as I’m not the AACA webmaster.

FYI: I’m the forum admin, not an AACA Board of Director. If you wish to volunteer, you need to reach out to the appropriate party.

AACA Forum Statistics - Feb 2023.

6 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

I have two PMs from you. One was about wanting to analyze the forum statistics I posted in 2023. Since you were not familiar with the statistics tool used to generate them, providing access was moot. The other message was a minor edit request for the AACA club website, which I forwarded to the appropriate person, as I’m not the AACA webmaster.

FYI: I’m the forum admin, not an AACA Board of Director. If you wish to volunteer, you need to reach out to the appropriate party.

Does the AACA Board of Directors have much say for the Hershey Event?

2 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Before you delete this thread, I want to point out you are misrepresenting our discussion.

. Here is our exchange after I said I had not used Adwords:

IMG_1047.jpeg.161236c1a8b97d997de5e209a2d66b50.jpeg

18 minutes ago, CarNucopia said:

. Here is our exchange after I said I had not used Adwords:

Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 3.53.10 PM.png

We’ve drifted off topic. If you want to discuss this further in a PM, feel free to reach out.

My core recommendations remain unchanged: Anyone who wants to offer constructive feedback on the Hershey Meet is welcome to do so in this forum. If you are truly passionate about it, then reach out externally of the forums to the appropriate parties (Not everyone is an active participant of the forums). To truly influence decision-making, you’ll need to get involved at the regional or national level.

37 minutes ago, Reicholzheimer said:

Does the AACA Board of Directors have much say for the Hershey Event?

I believe it’s accurate to say “Absolutely yes!”.

The Board of Directors are indeed influencers. For instance, the VP Judges Administrator leads the judging efforts, and awards are issued by the National organization. The bylaws are crafted with the event in mind. The national office, including Executive Director Steve Moskowitz (who has responded previously), plays a significant role in executing the event by supplying staff, office space, and more. The Hershey meet is not merely a local affair; it’s a coordinated effort at both local and national levels.

FYI, this holds true for nearly all AACA meets, tours, and annual meetings. Local clubs contribute manpower, while the organization provides substantial support.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 3.53.10 PM.png

We’ve drifted off topic. If you want to discuss this further in a PM, feel free to reach out.

My core recommendations remain unchanged: Anyone who wants to offer constructive feedback on the Hershey Meet is welcome to do so in this forum. If you are truly passionate about it, then reach out externally of the forums to the appropriate parties (Not everyone is an active participant of the forums). To truly influence decision-making, you’ll need to get involved at the regional or national level.

If you don’t want a thread to drift, stop posting things that solicit a reply. The date you circled above is the day before you offered me the raw data. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)

Hey, it is what it is. My only concern is for the next generation. The young people that are in school. My children loved joining me for 4 great days at the Fall Meet- until high school, college, grad school demanded their attendance elsewhere. Now we wait until their lives approach middle age to bring them back. When I started coming in the very late 1970’s, we came on Saturday and saw the swap meet and the car show. The Fall Meet is our best occasion to attract young people. How can we make it accessible to them again?

• Like 1

On 7/15/2024 at 1:08 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

Hershey is not the only event with fewer attendees.

Pate swap meet continues to grow with over 10,000 spaces already sold for next year and the majority are not for parking or camping. in fact the speedway provides a huge camping area and parking within walking distance and costs $5/day. Also admittance is free.  They also provide free services to transport you large parts to your vehicle.  This year in addition to the swap meet there will be a huge Hot Rod show inside the speedway.  I started going to Hershey in 1972.  After the 2021 show I decided I wouldn't be back.  Now if I lived in the northeast I would still be going but it is a long drive from south Texas to walk through half empty fields.   My parting thought is how soon will Friday be cancelled for financial reasons.  

• Like 1

With respect to young people in school. Specially let’s discuss say 3 through 12 grade ( ages 8 ish through 17-18).  All schools I am familiar with have an educational excuse program. One applies to administration and describes what is planned. My experience doing this with my grandkids and kids is/was it was ALWAYS approved. Of course, the student had to give a presentation or report afterward but even teachers seemed to like/support it. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 11:48 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Dave there is a way to report violators.  Simply go the the Hershey Region main tent and report the space numbers.  We have tried to make it crystal clear to vendors that politics will have to stay out of the flea market.  What you are not aware of is that vendors have been forced to take down the offending material or leave the field.

That political garbage was what most of the vendors were selling at the Adirondack Nationals in 2022, what a waste of space and life. I missed last year due to injury but I bet it's not any better. I'm glad to know that Hershey/AACA prohibits it, although knowing the type that supports it they don't care about rules or laws. 

In regards to lower attendance: how many people have died since 2020 that used to attend things? The answer is a lot. Even this relatively small subsection of the whole that is this forum several of the regulars have passed away. I do more scale model shows than real car shows but I can think of at least 25 people who are no longer here just since the start of this current decade, including 5 from my two local clubs that I actively attend meetings of. 

It's not that they are choosing not to attend...it's that they can't

I am hoping to attend Hershey this year. It will be my first. With my chronic health problems I can't say for sure that I will be able to...but I'm sure going to try. I was planning on going last year but the injuries I gave myself that also cost me the Nationals cost me that as well... hopefully I will not crush any part of my feet this year 😂 I'm a major klutz though...

• Like 1

The Adirondack Nationals is my favorite show. I attended for the first time in 1989 but then missed it due to being in school for the next bunch of years. 

One of my many regrets in life is not skipping school for the show. I cannot remember anything from any of those school days, but I can remember all the car shows. 

Simply put, making memories in your chosen hobby is far more important than something you are forced to do. And I liked school! 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

making memories in your chosen hobby is far more important than something you are forced to do

Well stated. when we can't go out or it is wise not to ( like the pandemic years) your memories are what keep you going - it did for me after open heart surgery in 2017 - memories of attending Hershey since I was 15 years old made me determined to attend in 2018 and I had most of that year to get out of the hospital and then rehab. Determination for what seem like trivial things to most other people are what keep a lot of us alive. Share your passion while you can for the things you love.

Billy, try to be at Hershey- book your room now, and also get a scooter to rent to ride about on. It is a lot of walking but the flea market area is well paved.

Walt

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see conversation being discussed, I was ushered into the Fall met by a 60 year veteran and we see the drastic increased decline in attendance.  I agree with Gtjoeys points.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s with good intentions to revisit this as a life member and a couple of deadline extensions……

Well the field used to be packed by Feb, then March then June , now it looks to be extended to the end of August?

Today we recieve an post that we need around 30 volunteers for Friday show parking?

When the show was Sunday or Saturday wasn’t that usually SCHOOL AGE kids?

I love you all

but maybe I will update on this thread pictures of the fields each day…..

It won’t be pretty……

Unless the thread gets closed😳

It’d glaring guys and it can be so simple to fix if we just possibly, almost, think about , LISTENING…..

Again

Love 

Gtjoey

PS  can I dare ask since we are pushed to the end of august

How many prepaid cars we have for Friday?

Dont shoot the

love

Gtjoey1314

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank Szymkowski said:

Im just happy the show is still going on..

ME TOO.

Lots of mention of the expense for lodging, gasoline, tolls, food, etc etc to be there

I have friends who travel from Germany and England ! they have 7+ hour flight one way and hours to get to the airport on their side and then rent a car here to drive to Hershey.

they usually visit here at my place on long island before returning home for a meal and to look at my collection of collections . The pandemic put a damper on all of that but they will be back soon - I hope and so do they. No complaints from them ......................... As Frank S. stated  just be happy the show is still going on.

Walt

• Like 3