1929 Chev 6cly v 1929 DA Dodge 6

I strongly recommend you research and compare the specifications for both cars.  I believe you will find the Dodge is a lot more "car" than the Chevrolet.  Not saying there is anything wrong with the Chevrolet (I own a `30 and love driving it), I just think you'll find the features of the Dodge make it a better driving car.

If both are available to test drive, by all means drive them both.  Maybe the solution is to own both cars?  You know, for a spare.

• Like 8

Don't know about comfort, but I have always heard that early Chevrolets had weak rear axles. You might research that. Dodge for dependability was the Dodge Brothers motto.

I’m not sure who has the better parts support network.  Dodge has keiser31 on their side so I might have to give the nod to them at least for AACA forum support 😀.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Speed an economy, probably about the same, by today's standards, lousy. Chevrolet has better aftermarket support and collector club support meaning better parts supplies. Chevrolet more popular and numerous.

But to me the Dodge is the better car especially if you are a big guy, they just have more room inside. Dodge was also a slightly more expensive car, it was Plymouth that was Chev's direct competitor. The Dodge flathead six is quieter and longer lived than the Chevy OHV. Dodge tapered Timken wheel bearings vs Chev ball bearings, there are lots of little differences in favor of the Dodge.

My choice would be Dodge although, for most people there isn't much in it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, Its interesting as there is a lot more Dodge (Mopar) left and on the road here in New Zealand than the early Chev 6's. Maybe that is a testament to their reliability over the years. Although the Chevs are cheaper to buy here.

and what is a comfortable open road cruise speed for either?

Posted (edited)

The early Chevy 6's don't really like going faster than 45 MPH, and that can be pushing it, they can go along at 40 MPH all day long, any oil pressure is considered good oil pressure. The main problem with Chevy's is that there is a lot of wood in the bodies and that can cause many other problems. I don't know if the Dodges use similar body construction 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John348 said:

The early Chevy 6's don't really like going faster than 45 MPH, and that can be pushing it, they can go along at 40 MPH all day long, any oil pressure is considered good oil pressure. The main problem with Chey's is that there is a lot of wood in the bodies and that can cause many other problems. I don't know if the Dodges use similar body construction 

For comparison:

Dodge DA6 passenger cars have all steel Budd bodies. 208 6 cyl with 63 hp maxes out around 55 - 3 spd (without OD - but can possibly adapt without major modifications that are reverseable if needed). 

From the web

image.png.a80cf6ba6ad5e08b995a3749e0ad0bc5.png

image.png.9af104cfbfc065938651eb64898cf811.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

The all metal Dodge bodies are a definite plus the frame on the Dodge is almost twice the size.

If I recall right the size Chevy's interior is in between the Fords and Dodges. 

Dodge all steel body vs Chevrolet wood frame body another plus for Dodge. There was a lot of improvement in cruising speed in the thirties. Best road speed for a 1929 model about 30 - 35 MPH with a top speed in the 60s or  70s unless it is one of the big straight eight luxury cars. By 1939 practically all cars could cruise at 50 MPH and had a top speed around 85.

On 6/4/2024 at 2:40 PM, keiser31 said:

Don't know about comfort, but I have always heard that early Chevrolets had weak rear axles. You might research that. Dodge for dependability was the Dodge Brothers motto.

I believe the Chevy's used the same rear axle from 1925 (4-cyl) to 1929 (first year 6 cyl).  I broke 2 of them in my original '29 coach while in high school during the later 60's.🥲

Capt. Harley😉

"Skirts are for Women not Car Fenders"

• Like 3

This might be why Chevs of that era are rare on NZ roads now.

Rusty I would have thought a top speed of 60mph plus would provide an easy cruise of 45 to 50?

We had the "Irishmans Rally" close to me on the weekend. Remembering its winter here, they do some high miles considering they go off the main roads, gravel, farm tracks, forge some rivers etc so most of them are rough looking cars. Seems a shame to treat a real tidy car to that but would be great fun.

On the way to view them on the open road I followed a couple of Model A's doing 45 to 50 mph.

There was about 250 cars there and it looks like 2/3 of them are Model A's. Be nice to have something different that can cruise the same speed.

There is more Erskine's here in NZ than early 6 cylinder Chevs, I believe they have the continental 6 cylinder engine. I read somewhere they were marketed as a 60 mph car but this caused warranty claims so they reduced the recommended speed to 53mph I think. Not sure how durable these are but I know of 3 real tidy ones within my area which suggests they held up well.

• Like 2

Yip 39 Dodge Rusty but the Irishman Rally is capped at 1932. I have a few Model T's but they say they are too slow on the open road over long distances if they are stock.

My 27 Chrysler is too nice for that treatment, I couldn't do that to it.

My 28 Triumph is also too nice plus too slow, the rest of my stable are 1950's and on.

So I'm just considering what might be the best option if I decide to have a go.

In saying that I just watched the video attached and there is a lot of nice vehicles leaving. Looks like fun!

Watching the full video of them starting off there are a lot of lovely shiny cars, they didn't look like that when I viewed them 3 days later.

Here is a clip of the 2017 Rally you might enjoy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rata Road said:

Watching the full video of them starting off there are a lot of lovely shiny cars, they didn't look like that when I viewed them 3 days later.

Here is a clip of the 2017 Rally you might enjoy

Rata Road

Thanks for posting the videos very interesting

A 1929 Chevrolet should be able to keep up with a model 'A' without a problem.  My 1930 Chevrolet can cruise at 45mph without breaking a sweat.

Again a DB was almost double the price of a Chevrolet at the time, and for that money you got a lot more car, its not really a fair comparison. 

Both cars filled a niche when they were new and still do today.

Good luck with your search for that perfect car.

Your thoughts on how a 1930 Buick series 40 sedan, the 6 cylinder option is ohv giving 80hp?

They are a similar value to the DA's over here. The more I look the more options appear but its an interesting post and its good to get others feedback.

Always learning....

On 6/5/2024 at 6:38 PM, Rata Road said:

There is more Erskine's here in NZ than early 6 cylinder Chevs, I believe they have the continental 6 cylinder engine. I read somewhere they were marketed as a 60 mph car but this caused warranty claims so they reduced the recommended speed to 53mph I think. Not sure how durable these are but I know of 3 real tidy ones within my area which suggests they held up well.

The DA6 is a Continental engine also. 
Most period literature will list the engine as Dodge's "own", suggesting that Dodge built them.

Dodge (under Chrysler by this time) engineers did design them, but Continental supplied them.

• Like 3

While my chevy is a ‘31, there’s not a lot of difference from the ‘29 as far as motor/trans/rear. My chevy easily goes 50-55 with no issues and is quiet doing it. Cruising back roads it quickly gets up to the average 40mph speed limit. Oil pressure runs around 10-12lb while underway. It’s a splash lubricated motor other than the center main and valve train so big oil pressure isn’t a huge requirement. Many 4 and 6 cylinder chevy motors ended up in stationary applications here in New England either running sawmills or cranberry bog pumps so their durability was pretty good. I hear lots of stories of how the 29-32 Chevys can barely move along and fall apart because of the wood but those are most fable than fact. If the car was allowed to have a leaking roof through its years or often submerged in wet, snowy conditions, yes the wood would fail. Today, it just doesn’t happen, so if the wood is good, it will stay good. As far as comfort, the four door is the largest and its front seat legroom is matched with the coupes and cabriolet models. I’m 6’-1” and am comfortable in my 31 special sedan but I would stay away from a two door or 5 passenger coupe if you’re taller than 5’-10” as they both have front folding jump seats which are just adequate. The chevy was designed as a direct competitor to the Ford Model A.

The dodge was considered a step up both in size and features. While I don’t own one I considered purchasing one and had a good long look at one a friend had. There is more car there in size and weight and it will drive that way. It’s already been said aftermarket parts support is great on the Chevy, not much less than Ford A, and the Dodge can be very difficult depending on what you need (based on what my friend who owns a 33 doge tells me. 

I also own a 32’ olds convertible which has more features than a 32 dodge but is still a wood bodied car. The mechanics in the Oldsmobile in my opinion are above the Fords, Dodges, and a lot of other makes of the year. The wood bodied car with solid wood is actually a better car than a steel bodied car of the era for a couple reasons. The all metal cars have a hollow, tin sound to them and it can easily be heard when closing the doors and while driving unless some sound deadening has been added. The 33 ford I road in was absolutely terrible for that. The other thing is , if you look at old cars in accidents, the wood bodied cars all appear to suffer the damage better. All metal bodi crushed and stayed crushed while the wood gets compressed to a degree but tries to force the pressure back. The bodies all appear less crushed than the all steel cars. I KNOW I just opened a big debate and argument but it’s my opinion based on research and observation. 

The dodge was intended to be more car than the chevy when it was made and it still is. While the Chevy is still a decent car and easy to care for. If pricing is similar and if the dodge is accompanied with some of the hard to find spares, it would be the better choice. 

• Like 2

On 6/6/2024 at 5:29 PM, Rata Road said:

Yip 39 Dodge Rusty but the Irishman Rally is capped at 1932. I have a few Model T's but they say they are too slow on the open road over long distances if they are stock.

My 27 Chrysler is too nice for that treatment, I couldn't do that to it.

My 28 Triumph is also too nice plus too slow, the rest of my stable are 1950's and on.

So I'm just considering what might be the best option if I decide to have a go.

In saying that I just watched the video attached and there is a lot of nice vehicles leaving. Looks like fun!

I know most of the cars on that event and some of the owners. The video highlights the many possible options of suitable, and some not so suitable, cars that go on the event.

This year's event was the 70th running so it was a little special and was run over three days rather than the usual two.

About the only car I didn't immediately recognise is the blue roadster visible in the link photo.  It might be a Sunbeam. 

As the event is quite a big affair a high open road cruising speed is not really that important. The red 1927 Chev one-ton truck seen at 13:50 would have to be the least suitable as, if it retains its original gearing, its top speed would only be 30mph. I have seen it there on past events and I think it is a little faster than that. 

Any of the late 1920s Chrysler products are perfectly suitable. Our 1929 Plymouth 4 is quite capable of a 50mph cruise, as are any of its six-cylinder siblings - DeSoto K, Dodge DD, or Chrysler CJ.

As far as other possibilities there are several. The cars are there to be had, and often at prices no higher than they were 20 or more years ago. It does help if you have access to a mechanic with the knowledge and skills, and enthusiasm, to deal with the oldies.

I have been on that event several times over the last 45 years but didn't go this year. My son, who is a classic car mechanic, took my 1929 Studebaker cabriolet (the only known right-hand drive survivor of that model). If you look at 6:30 there is a light blue Alvis 12/50, a 1924 Buick 4 (another model that actually goes quite well), and then my Studebaker. My son and I took it on a 1000-mile trip to the Art Deco Festival in Napier in February. That added to the 650 miles run up on Irishman Rally means it is now due for some maintenance. It was restored in the 1980s and now needs rear axle seals, among other things.

A few other highlights - from 10:26 to 10:50 are several Austin 7 specials. Basic motoring but remarkably capable.  The underslung chassis car seen at 8:32 purports to be a 1914 American Motors Corp Underslung but was cobbled up a few decades ago using mostly 1920s Willys-Knight bits. At 11:11 is a 1930 Erskine, the only known surviving right-hand drive two door sedan. Its owner has taken it on every Irishman Rally since it was dragged out of a shed in the mid 1980s with only 40,000 miles on it. It is still wearing the bluish green paint that was applied over the original black in order to sell it I think in 1934. 

At 12:30 the blue sedan with the added trunk is Marquette. 

If there are any others you don't recognise just ask.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chistech said:

The wood bodied car with solid wood is actually a better car than a steel bodied car of the era for a couple reasons. The all metal cars have a hollow, tin sound to them and it can easily be heard when closing the doors and while driving unless some sound deadening has been added. The 33 ford I road in was absolutely terrible for that. The other thing is , if you look at old cars in accidents, the wood bodied cars all appear to suffer the damage better. All metal bodi crushed and stayed crushed while the wood gets compressed to a degree but tries to force the pressure back. The bodies all appear less crushed than the all steel cars. I KNOW I just opened a big debate and argument but it’s my opinion based on research and observation. 

I agree with you! But, then, I often tend to be at odds with the more popular opinions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great info Carnerd, Interested the Buick 4 is suitable.

I wondered why the rally was a 3 days this year.

Maybe next year i'll have a go.

Found out today the DA Dodge i had eyed up has been sold but i have 3 other cars I'm mildly thinking about.

Watch this space.....

• 3 weeks later...

Update - I missed out on the DA Dodge I was considering, in all the other brands available I couldn't find a good enough example that would be suitable so ended up going against the grain in some respects of this post and bought a 1930 Chev AD.

Lovely condition and it ticked a heap of boxes for me and of course the price was in my range.

I haven't got it home yet but will post some pics when I do and look forward to your comments.

Kevin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the Chev since Sunday and have been under it since. Greasing, changing oils, cleaning fuel system, removed fuel tank, flushing radiator and adding antifreeze, tuning carb, plugs etc, all the normal new car jobs.

Had an issue with it cutting out for no reason so hadn't driven it but it looks like I might have sorted that today so I went for a 30 min open road test and I'm very impressed. It didn't cut out, 45 mph is a easy cruise and 50 mph travel is no problem but the real benefit is it drives so smooth.

It travels far nicer than I hoped for 1930 car.

I see a receipt for new cogs and bearings in the gearbox years ago and there is no whine in any gear.

I guess this has been well looked after car over the years and what a lovely car to drive.

Pics to come later...

• Like 3

Very pleased with it Wayne but it took a few days to get it all sorted.

Always a risk buying sight unseen.

Went for another drive today but we are fogged in and below zero so not ideal to take a picture although the small barnacles' hanging of the wind deflectors look good when I got home.

Kevin

Thanks Wayne,

Funny you say that as I was speaking to a previous owner this afternoon who had it in the 70's and he said he got some replicas made but never fitted them.

It drives real good for a car of this era.

Going by the way it drives on the open road I'm pleased I chose a Chev this time.

On 6/4/2024 at 2:44 AM, Rata Road said:

Interested in your thoughts on how these 2 vehicles compare as far as comfortable open road cruising speed and economy.

Why don't you compare Chevrolet to its competition, or to Dodge and its competition? 

I've done the comparison as far as online research but dont have a Dodge on hand to do a proper comparison with.

It also boiled down to price and what was available to buy. I was considering a DA that ticked a lot of boxes when this post started, it had been on the market for about a year so I didn't rush but it was finally sold.

I have a 27 Chrysler but for open road use the Chev runs circles out it.

Those 50 series Chryslers show up in the "Not Mine" for sale section quite often. Another one (slightly butchered coupe) showed up earlier this week.

I generally avoid commenting on them when I see them for sale. I am often torn between wanting to inform people, and not wanting to sabotage someone's effort to sell something they may need to sell.

They are wonderful cars in many ways! Decent size car, great nickel era styling. I have known a fair number of people that have owned and driven them. Not too small compared to some other cars of the era. However, they are woefully underpowered with the Maxwell carryover engine. Fun to drive provided you live in an area where you never need to push it up to over 55 kph (roughly 40 mph). The magic number I have heard from a few owners was 38 mph was the most it was ever going to do. People loved the cars, but couldn't deal with the low top speed.

It goes against my grain? But I wonder if a later early Plymouth engine in one could make enough better speed for driving? I know the last two years of Plymouth fours (around 1931) were much better engines, and somewhat similar looking. That Maxwell engine by 1928 was almost ten years out of date, and intended for a smaller and lighter car.

Yours is a really nice looking automobile!

Its a lovely Car Wayne in lovely condition. I have 11 old cars and as a rule I never do open road motoring so the Chrysler suits me perfect. I have 3 model T's and I drive all my other old cars (and 50' & 60's) the same speed as my T's. We have plenty of sealed roads close by that are away from the main road so no/little other traffic and terrain is dead flat except for one short steep hill (T's get up in Top...just). The Chrysler/Maxwell is a lovely engine, starts first pop hot or winter weather and even if left stored for 3 months or so, and it ticks over nice. 

But I want to do this Rally which includes open road plus heaps of gravel and some rough tracks with river crossings which is held in the middle of winter near me every year. Beside the speed issue I couldn't put the Chrysler through that so I started looking for a faster car that has to be pre 1933 to qualify.

The Chev ticked the box in all sorts of ways. Price, condition, detailed history, dual spares, 6 cylinder, parts available and most of all easy open road speed. The fact it is smooth and quiet at speed is an absolute bonus.

The personalized number plate (30Chev) was another plus.