Battle Ship Linoleum Running Board Wax?

I doubt any floor covering shop will even know what battleship linoleum is! They may not even know what plane ole linoleum is?

I wasnt aware this stuff needed to be waxed but I would think any kind of a carnuba would work if you are currently using Johnson. I had no idea they stopped making that. I have a couple of cans guess I need to hold it tight.

My dad served on a battleship during WWII (USS Oklahoma), that is until the morning of Dec 7, 1941.  He was a Pearl Harbor survivor.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TAKerry said:

doubt any floor covering shop will even know what battleship linoleum is! They may not even know what

For us unedified, what is battleship linoleum?

19 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I doubt any floor covering shop will even know what battleship linoleum is! They may not even know what plane ole linoleum is?

Linoleum is still available at most flooring stores it goes by the name Marmoleum. Available in multiple colors including grey and black. I bought a remnant in dark navy blue.

https://www.greenflooringsupply.com/collections/marmoleum?matchtype=e&network=o&device=c&keyword=Marmoleum&campaign=590135196&adgroup=1151190323303917&identifiers=kwd-71950068619976:loc-4119&Campaign=**LP - NonTM - Marmoleum&CampaignId=590135196&AdGroup=Marmoleum&AdGroupId=1151190323303917&AdId=71949539028853&Network=o&msclkid=c17ca2483db614a67c33c463e6e9dcd5&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP - NonTM - Marmoleum&utm_term=Marmoleum&utm_content=Marmoleum

Edited by JFranklin
added link (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Not familiar with Marmoleum. But I have done more than my share of linoleum installations. Hope to never have to do that again!  Not really that bad though I suppose compared to a lot of things. 'Battleship' linoleum as it comes to my mind is a very heavy rubbery, vinyl type flooring with a burlap like core, it may have linseed oil associated with it somehow? I think (well before my time) that it was used on Battleships as a durable floor covering? Hence the name. No way it compares to modern linoleum other than the name. I have a customer with an 18th century house that has an entire bedroom wing  with the stuff as a floor covering. He wanted to replace it but I talked them out of it just because. Its ugly brown but more durable than a lot of things. 

Linoleum is a trademark. It has been applied to all sorts of things it did not mean originally. Once upon a time, Linoleum meant a specific thing. It was flooring that was made from Linseed Oil. Sometimes it was used for countertops. Marmoleum is what Linoleum was. I believe battleship linoleum was thicker than what was typical for residential use, probably 1/4" thick or more. I doubt it needed to be grey, but more often than not it was.

• Like 2

George, 

I doubt anyone waxed their linoleum floorboards and running boards back in the day. I don’t put anything on mine. 

This is what is typically applied to linoleum floors in a house. It does protect the linoleum from scratches. After applying it a few times you usually have to strip it off (recall using ammonia) then reapply.

image.jpeg.4ad976c615779ee7d645d756e3457737.jpeg

• Like 1

I've heard that some hospitals are going back to using linoleum because it is more resistant to germ growth than vynal flooring. Maybe your local hospital cleaning staff knows what's a good linoleum wax ?

Paul

My understanding is that linoleum back in the day contained some asbestos. 

• 2 weeks later...

When I worked at Harrah's Automobile Collection, the detailers just used waterless hand cleaner. That brought the shine back and gave the running boards and floor board a very nice luster.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

• Like 1