1966-1967 slide of an International Harvester...what?

Can't help on the International, but that 61 Impala 2 door sedan pulling the ham can is pretty cool too. 61 was the only Impala 2 door sedan produced in Impala's glory days, i.e. 1958-1975.

I suppose you could consider the 74-76 Custom Coupe as a two door sedan. I prefer to forget those ungainly things, along with their contemporary C-body Buick, Oldsmobile and Cadillac coupes. Bad proportions no matter the carline, though Cadillac did the best job with their smaller quarter windows.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Can't help on the International, but that 61 Impala 2 door sedan pulling the ham can is pretty cool too. 61 was the only Impala 2 door sedan produced in Impala's glory days, i.e. 1958-1975.

I suppose you could consider the 74-76 Custom Coupe as a two door sedan. I prefer to forget those ungainly things, along with their contemporary C-body Buick, Oldsmobile and Cadillac coupes. Bad proportions no matter the carline, though Cadillac did the best job with their smaller quarter windows.

That begs the question, what makes a car a sedan? I thought 4-door cars were sedans and 2-door were coupes. There were Impala 2-door other years but yes, not called a sedan. Why is a 1961 2-door sedan not a coupe?

Very confusing, the names changed over time and were coined by the manufacturer with no industry standard.  

During these years a sedan had a post or frame around the door glass.  
Two door, Tudor, coupe were equivalent.  

If there is no frames around the glass and no post from the front to rear then the word is “hardtop”. 
2 door hardtop, 4 door hardtop, sport coupe and sport sedan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utbrowningman said:

That begs the question, what makes a car a sedan? I thought 4-door cars were sedans and 2-door were coupes. There were Impala 2-door other years but yes, not called a sedan. Why is a 1961 2-door sedan not a coupe?

There is nothing in the term 'coupe' which defines how many doors it has. The word has just evolved to mean a two-door car. That hasn't stopped European makers from building four door coupes in recent years.

Coupe comes from the French word 'cut'. 

Body style naming has always been 'fluid'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The International Harvester is an R-Series, perhaps an R-110 pickup. Iirc, the R-Series was 1954-'56.

The IHC is an R-series which ran from 53-55.  56 was an S-series with different front end.

No mention of the amazing Studebaker?  1953 K-body Champion Starliner hardtop convertible coupe.  (Good thing it wasn't the C-body Starlight pillared coupe.  Try to explain that one! 😆)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 7th Son said:

WOW! Talk about hijacking a post...must not be anything on TV tonight.

This funny and abstract Road Sign makes a great wall décor. Offered with  two diagonally opposite, pre-punched holes for easy installation., - ...

No worries. Learned a bit of additional information that I was not expecting about the lawnmower my grandfather was using...now if someone can give me horsepower rating and engine size...

• Like 3

I've found we learn a lot when we swerve all over the road.🙂

OP's pictures had plenty of good stuff to comment on. The Harvester pickup and slide-in camper, the Impala pulling the ham can travel trailer, the uber-cool REO lawnmower, and the Studebaker. Plus Mercman's Harvester trucks and  61 Impala brochure pics.

Yah, even the 1960s folding aluminum lawn chairs are cool for those of us who grew up with them. I have several with good frames but trashed webbing. Not sure if you can even find the webbing any more.

*edit* looks like lawn chair webbing is still available! I ought to know by now that just because Lowe's, Home Depot or Walmart doesn't have it doesn't mean it's NLA!😃 I should find some red white and blue webbing and use the chairs with the 1976 Ninety Eight. American Bicentennial and all.

• Like 3

On 4/2/2024 at 8:19 PM, 7th Son said:

WOW! Talk about hijacking a post...must not be anything on TV tonight.

Guessing one of Petes syblings?

Now it makes sense why you are so easily irritated. 

What's the harm in multiple topics of discussion when clearly such cool vintage photos have much to talk about? 

SOME folks can chew gum and walk at the same time. We realize it's a challenge for others, so just pop your aneurysm and move on... you'll be fine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Guessing one of Petes syblings?

Now it makes sense why you are so easily irritated. 

What's the harm in multiple topics of discussion when clearly such cool vintage photos have much to talk about? 

SOME folks can chew gum and walk at the same time. We realize it's a challenge for others, so just pop your aneurysm and move on... you'll be fine. 

Who's Pete?    What's a syblings? 

I guess there are lots of folks out there without a life who like to hear themselves talk regardless of the subject at hand or any regard for continuity.

Others are just hopelessly humorless.  🙃

Edited by 7th Son (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 6:57 AM, rocketraider said:

I've found we learn a lot when we swerve all over the road.🙂

Usually that we should have been paying better attention to our driving!

Which ironically fits the current thread and drifts in multiple ways?

I think a lot of people here figured out a long time ago that it doesn't take much to get me running down bizarre rabbit holes? I just hope I can impart some knowledge or a bit of wisdom along the way.

Gotta love double entendres. Especially when there isn't a dirty side to them.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

On 4/2/2024 at 3:02 PM, utbrowningman said:

Because the rear windows roll down on the '61, where they are fixed in place on the later Impala two doors with a solid B-pillar.

Craig