1940 Cadillac LaSalle convertible coupe - 32.5k USD - Pembroke, Ontario, Canada - Delisted

I rarely check out Hemmings. The few things that sell up here through there are through dealers that jack up the price for American buyers. But this one didn't look too bad.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1940-cadillac-lasalle-pembroke-2764881

Beautiful older restoration of very rare convertible from the 1940s.  Last year of production for the LaSalle companion car of the Cadillac brand.  The larger Series 52 Special Convertible Coupe was offered halfway through the model year and only 425 were produced.

This car runs and drives beautifully with its original 322 CID Cadillac flathead V8 engine and famous LaSalle 3 speed transmission (new clutch recently installed).  Our LaSalle was restored once 50 years ago and still shows very well.  Excellent chrome, beautiful leather interior and nice canvas convertible top and boot.  The former show quality lacquer paint job is showing its age with some chipping and cracking but the Beaver Brown color still shines nicely and gives the car a stately senior appearance.

The LaSalle has Firestone white wall tires, fender skirts, optional full dish hubcaps, an optional 1940 Cadillac heater (not installed), various books and manuals and a custom fitted car cover.

The potential for this car is unlimited.  Refresh to original glory, retrofit to the cruiser of your dreams or simply maintain and enjoy for years to come this impressive piece of automotive history as we have for the past several years.

$35,000 US$  Negotiable.  Will help coordinate shipping within North America. 

137987125.jpg

137987094.jpg

137987118.jpg

137987122.jpg

137987123.jpg

Edited by theconvertibleguy (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Sharp!

Brown isn't my favorite, and I don't recall seeing wood door garnishes (with crooked emblems) before, but looks like a nice driver at a reasonable asking price.

Nice La Salle convertible but lacks pizazz!  Too much brown!  The exterior is brown, the interior is brown and the top looks like a dark tan; boring! It car be fixed for pretty steep price which makes it unappealing to me even at the $35 grand price. GLWTS

• Like 1

16 hours ago, theconvertibleguy said:

...dealers that jack up the price for American buyers.

Smart American buyers don't pay dealers' unrealistic

prices, either.  As one realistically priced dealer told me,

"they're just fishing."  In too many cases, the formula applies:

DEALER PRICE /2  =  REALISTIC PRICE

The LaSalle you posted, Convertible Guy, looks appealing,

and as long as the colors are authentic, I don't mind the 

brown.  Thanks for sharing it.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Smart American buyers don't pay dealers' unrealistic

prices, either.  As one realistically priced dealer told me,

"they're just fishing."  In too many cases, the formula applies:

DEALER PRICE /2  =  REALISTIC PRICE

The LaSalle you posted, Convertible Guy, looks appealing,

and as long as the colors are authentic, I don't mind the 

brown.  Thanks for sharing it.

Ya I'd consider it if it was like 40k CAD or less (just my budget), but I'd be sort of surprised if it wasn't original colours. Darn things like two hours away from me.

• Like 1

The brown is an original 40 color (or close to it).  The color code should be on the data plate on firewall. The dash should be wood grain. The upholstery pattern is not correct. 

46 minutes ago, jdome said:

The brown is an original 40 color (or close to it).  The color code should be on the data plate on firewall. The dash should be wood grain. The upholstery pattern is not correct. 

I ment not the standard colors you see on convertibles often. If this brown was offered in that year, great. I love it. 

• Like 2

I don't know if it's priced too high or what's correct/incorrect but this one really speaks to me.  The only nitpicky thing for me is the radio delete (I am one of those folks who plays era-appropriate music in my old cars)...

• Like 2

I don't think its overpriced and if that Brown was an option when new, I don't mind it.  Brown would rarely be my first choice in a color, but I have decided lately that Brown period correct cars look much better in person than in Photographs.  

I'd think the new CCCA status of Lasalle my stir up a few interested buyers for this car.  It only needs one to change hands.  

• Like 2

My 1940 Buick was painted a different color than the original color of Aztec Brown when I bought the car. I could not visualize painting the car Brown and it looking good, so I went with Royal Maroon, which is an original color. I will say that seeing this car, I do think that if the color was original to the car I understand keeping it original. Overall this is a beautiful car IMO and I believe this would be a great driving car. GLWTS

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jdome said:

I checked my "LaSalle: Cadillac's Companion Car", and the factory photos of the dash and window garnishes show them painted, not body color, so this car's dash may be correct. Agree, the upholstery pattern isn't anything like original (original seems to be plain leather with a horizontal pad at the top of the backrest and front of the seat), but also agree it'd be a great driver.

For anyone interested in seeing what the correct interior looks like for this car, there are tons of great photos on this Mecum site of a stunning example that I assume is correct.  (I couldn't copy any of the photos to post here because they are some kind of different format.)  As has been mentioned, the real wood caps on the door panels are not correct, nor is the pattern for the seat leather.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/1095236/

Also, "Beaver Brown" somehow doesn't sound like a name that GM would have used for a paint color.  How about "Opossum gray?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

looks like the 40 La Salle steering wheel (not the horn ring) is the same as used on the 38 Buick.  Maybe I will sell my 38 Buick wheel as a 40 La Salle and make more money!  It's fully restored!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• theconvertibleguy changed the title to 1940 Cadillac LaSalle convertible coupe - 32.5k USD - Pembroke, Ontario, Canada
  • 3 weeks later...

I was there to inspect the car and found out that the LaSalle does not look so good in real.

The car is what i call a 20feeter. 

The paint is full of chips and cracks.I also saw a lot of bubbles and expect rust underneath the paint

The brakes are working but in need of an  overhaul like the suspention too. The engine runs good but leaks oil wich is normal for a car that age. Interieur is nice without bigger damage.Fuel gauge as well as wiper and Top are not working.Maybe a vacuum leak.

The complete frame and underbody  was sprayed with those thick black rustprotecting wich in my apinion is more a rustcover as an rust protection. The Firestone tires are worn out and more than 10 years old.

Over all it's to  much money for a vehicle in this condition

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, michaelwitte said:

I was there to inspect the car and found out that the LaSalle does not look so good in real.

The car is what i call a 20feeter. 

The paint is full of chips and cracks.I also saw a lot of bubbles and expect rust underneath the paint

The brakes are working but in need of an  overhaul like the suspention too. The engine runs good but leaks oil wich is normal for a car that age. Interieur is nice without bigger damage.Fuel gauge as well as wiper and Top are not working.Maybe a vacuum leak.

The complete frame and underbody  was sprayed with those thick black rustprotecting wich in my apinion is more a rustcover as an rust protection. The Firestone tires are worn out and more than 10 years old.

Over all it's to  much money for a vehicle in this condition

Hello,

I am disappointed in Michael's assessment of my LaSalle.  I have been very forthcoming with my description of the car and challenge anyone else in the hobby to inspect cars of a 50 year old restoration and not find similar flaws.  Furthermore, I was never more relieved than to get Michael out from behind the wheel of our beloved LaSalle.  He has obviously never driven a car from the 1940's let alone a 3 speed standard.  As per his opinion of the value of our car, NADA guides suggests a value of $41,600 for an average 1940 Cadillac LaSalle Series 52 Convertible Coupe "a 20 footer as Michael describes it".  He failed to qualify the $15,000 cost of exporting the car to Germany in his opinion.

This is a beautiful car that our family has enjoyed for the past 8 years and you would be hard pressed to find a pre-war Cadillac Convertible for a similar price.  Arguably, one of the most beautiful cars of the 1940's.

I've mentioned this before on occasion, so please forgive me for being repetitious--Convertible bodies are far more likely to flex than other bodies because they lack the reinforcement that roofs provide. As a consequence, dashboards are welded into position when the body is first assembled, rather than bolted in place, to provide additional strengthening around the cowl area.. This is why you will often see convertibles with painted dashboards and not woodgrained.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I've mentioned this before on occasion, so please forgive me for being repetitious--Convertible bodies are far more likely to flex than other bodies because they lack the reinforcement that roofs provide. As a consequence, dashboards are welded into position when the body is first assembled, rather than bolted in place, to provide additional strengthening around the cowl area.. This is why you will often see convertibles with painted dashboards and not woodgrained.

While that may be the case on some convertibles, I am fairly certain all GM C-body convertibles are bolted.  My '41 is out right now.  It was woodgrained but manufacturers were learning by the late 40's the painted dashes held up better than the woodgrained when exposed to UV rays.  Packard had bolt-in and painted dashes in '48-50, while all other models had graining. I can see where Hudsons would have welded them in being uni-body.. though I have no experience with them.

LaSalle was painting dashes/window garnishes, rather than woodgraining, at least as early as 1935. Maybe to differentiate it from Cadillac, which had a similar interior in other respects.

Sorry to hear of seller Duncan's experience with the prospective buyer. Being able to drive a stick shift is hardly a universal skill nowadays.

Thank you Suchan.  Column shift is simple once you get on to it… towards you and down 1st gear, up forward and up 2nd then down for third? 4200 pounds of metal, no power steering and no power brakes!  I’m still shaking.

I just do not "get" the whole fear of no power brakes or no power steering? I know, I learned to drive that way. I probably had 20,000 miles under my belt before I owned a car or truck with either one. Same with a clutch. Floor shift or column shift, no problem. I was sixteen the first time I limped home a manual shift car with a locked up blown clutch! Mom was driving when it blew, and I said don't worry, I can manage it. Put it in first gear and hit the starter. Shifted clutchless until I got it home and shut it off in the driveway. 

MOST cars, and even most smaller trucks, drive fine without power steering or brakes as long as the brakes and steering are in proper maintained condition!

Parallel parking can be a bear, but I never had any problem with that either, even without power steering.

On 3/1/2024 at 2:37 PM, Duncan said:

Hello,

I am disappointed in Michael's assessment of my LaSalle.  I have been very forthcoming with my description of the car and challenge anyone else in the hobby to inspect cars of a 50 year old restoration and not find similar flaws.  Furthermore, I was never more relieved than to get Michael out from behind the wheel of our beloved LaSalle.  He has obviously never driven a car from the 1940's let alone a 3 speed standard.  As per his opinion of the value of our car, NADA guides suggests a value of $41,600 for an average 1940 Cadillac LaSalle Series 52 Convertible Coupe "a 20 footer as Michael describes it".  He failed to qualify the $15,000 cost of exporting the car to Germany in his opinion.

This is a beautiful car that our family has enjoyed for the past 8 years and you would be hard pressed to find a pre-war Cadillac Convertible for a similar price.  Arguably, one of the most beautiful cars of the 1940's.

and hasnt taken many grammar/spelling courses either! 

I was 15 and was playing music in a band. Did not have a license. One of my bandmates would pick me up or mom would drop me off. One day Pop told me take the truck and stop bother other people for a ride. It was a 67 f100 with a 3 speed on the column. No power anything, let alone steering. Only reason I even knew the gear pattern was from watching my brother drive his 53 chevy. Ah, the good ole days!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I just do not "get" the whole fear of no power brakes or no power steering? I know, I learned to drive that way. I probably had 20,000 miles under my belt before I owned a car or truck with either one. Same with a clutch. Floor shift or column shift, no problem. I was sixteen the first time I limped home a manual shift car with a locked up blown clutch! Mom was driving when it blew, and I said don't worry, I can manage it. Put it in first gear and hit the starter. Shifted clutchless until I got it home and shut it off in the driveway. 

MOST cars, and even most smaller trucks, drive fine without power steering or brakes as long as the brakes and steering are in proper maintained condition!

Parallel parking can be a bear, but I never had any problem with that either, even without power steering.

Agreed.  I’ve even driven cars from the 1920’s with mechanical brakes, wood wheels and steering that gave the impression of pulling ropes all perfectly correct for the era of car.  But if I were a novice I wouldn’t jump behind the wheel of a rare car from the 1940’s try to pull out into traffic in 3rd gear, swerve around a residential block with wheels stretching and then race up to an intersection slamming on the brakes expecting it to stop like a Volkswagen!  And then proceed to belittle its condition after knowing it was serviced by a respected 75 year run family business less than 8 years ago?

I love 1940 Cadillac beaver brown poly... not your typical black, blue or burgundy?

That is a LaSalle!  One of the original style and trend setters of the automotive industry companion car to Cadillac "Mark of the World".  Probably carried GM through the depression.  I would think a purchaser with the means and taste to buy such a car back in the day could have opted for wood grained garnish moldings?  I've seen them painted and even chrome plated.  Unfortunately, I have the taste but not the means to buy one even now.  

On 3/1/2024 at 6:01 PM, MGRAB said:

While that may be the case on some convertibles, I am fairly certain all GM C-body convertibles are bolted.  My '41 is out right now.  It was woodgrained but manufacturers were learning by the late 40's the painted dashes held up better than the woodgrained when exposed to UV rays.  Packard had bolt-in and painted dashes in '48-50, while all other models had graining. I can see where Hudsons would have welded them in being uni-body.. though I have no experience with them.

The woodgraining that we are talking about was Dinoc. 3M's appliable film. It would have been very difficult, if not impossible, to apply DiNoc to a dash once it was installed. So, at some point, dashboards simply had to be bolt in. I was making reference to earlier convertibles.

6 hours ago, Duncan said:

Agreed.  I’ve even driven cars from the 1920’s with mechanical brakes, wood wheels and steering that gave the impression of pulling ropes all perfectly correct for the era of car.  But if I were a novice I wouldn’t jump behind the wheel of a rare car from the 1940’s try to pull out into traffic in 3rd gear, swerve around a residential block with wheels stretching and then race up to an intersection slamming on the brakes expecting it to stop like a Volkswagen!  And then proceed to belittle its condition after knowing it was serviced by a respected 75 year run family business less than 8 years ago?

Birds of a feather. I love driving wooden wheels and two-wheel mechanical brakes! Properly maintained and appropriately driven, they are a wonderful experience and something I will always want to be doing. Antique automobiles, whether from the 1950s or the 1910s, need respect and appreciation for their capabilities and their limitations. They need to be handled with some care that they can be broken and should not be abused. 

• Like 1

• theconvertibleguy changed the title to 1940 Cadillac LaSalle convertible coupe - 32.5k USD - Pembroke, Ontario, Canada - Delisted