The reason I can't own show quality cars...

Roscoe

Well, one of the reasons. Of course my lack of funds, combined with my lack of general talent contribute greatly...but I love to drive antiques too much. The '52 is still in the cold shop as is the '46....but the A was sitting n the carport when I ran out of bologna. And it wanted to go somewhere as bad as I did, since we've been shut in due to artic temps and snow. In Arkansas, we don't have the equipment to deal with winter weather like the north so it doesn't take much to shut us down.

So away we went to the ancient general store. Untreated dirt roads and all...

clarasnow.jpg.5435bba851357e74753d0879da2b48d4.jpg

claragrocery.jpg.9747b83ec81969cb793eb8399dcef8ea.jpg

Anyone else drive their old cars in this stuff at all?

* I wouldn't if it were far, or if there was salt used. Only about a mile and a half round trip...

• Like 36
  • Haha 1

I would not have a problem with snow only. But in my part they start to brine then spread salt faster than the snow can fall! All in all not bad I suppose as our roads are quite passable not long after the snow stops flying, but the chemicals will ruin a car faster than just about anything. Not worth it. They typically put so much on our roads will literally be white from the salt. I took mine out the other day just before it got bad. Now its gonna take a couple of good rain storms to wash the roads off before I go out again.

I should add, your car looks great! Show car or not.

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)
  • Like 9

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow of my daily winter driver, 2011 Volvo XC AWD wagon. Can't wash it as it's -11 Centigrade here in Ontario. Been down to -18 or so for the last 3 days. Poor old Volvo is totally encrusted in salt spray. Looks like the rim on a well prepared Margarita!

image.png.32126152734f498fe934df3eba7c76b0.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Salt mix no but backroads dirt roads im in!!

Great looking A Roscoe!!!

We are pretty fortunate here...not a lot of the salt mix used. And for a real daily for my job, I have an awd Ford Explorer, and if I'm on duty and there's an issue the state pays for it. LOL  And the old girl looks much better in pics than in person, but it still amazes me that an auto nearly 100 years old looks and runs this good. It was 14 degrees the other day- it cranked over three times and fired up- without the choke. I was amazed.

3 hours ago, Rata Road said:

I'm not shy of driving any of my oldies in the snow either.

Color me outdone and impressed. LOL

Edited by Roscoe (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Brined the roads here starting last Sunday. This stuff is AWFUL!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

I had planned a trip to the Roanoke area this past week, then we got hit in Arkansas with single digit temps and snow and I decided it wouldn't be smart to drive NORTH during winter weather. Told my friend I was planning to visit he should've been in Florida and I'd have visited him. LOL

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow of my daily winter driver, 2011 Volvo XC AWD wagon. Can't wash it as it's -11 Centigrade here in Ontario. Been down to -18 or so for the last 3 days. Poor old Volvo is totally encrusted in salt spray. Looks like the rim on a well prepared Margarita!

image.png.32126152734f498fe934df3eba7c76b0.png

Have a white car, it wont show up so bad, LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

I have built or repaired a few salt barns for the state and county govt's. Its amazing how rotted out the equipment is that is used to load the trucks. These are mid size articulated loaders, usually only a couple of years old. The buckets and front arms are always just about gone as well as the wheels are rotted beyond.

• Like 2

It seems a lot of people like conspiracy theories. I say the car manufacturers are in cahoots with brine manufacturers! Good old salt/sand mixture wasn’t working fast enough.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I like to drive my cars, I do not own perfect cars.  I do understand the need for museums, but it is like an animal in a cage. I was the president of a local club, so I entered a car in the show. I normally do not. Some friends popped the hood to show off the dirty engine!  It did not do well at the car show but the drag strip was a different matter.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Yes, all of my cars are drivers, too. As Kerry said, salt and ice melting chemicals are a major concern in regions with strong winters. It wasn't that uncommon to see 10 year old cars that were rusted beyond repair when I was a kid. The other thing to be aware of with winter weather is that 10w30 or 10w40 oil can get pretty thick during frigid cold snaps. Because of this, I usually don't start my cars in winter until it gets to be about 40 degrees F or above. If that isn't an option and you have an unheated garage, maybe run an electric heater in the space for a day or so before you start your old car.

• Like 1

There are plenty of 10 year old cars around here (Ontario Canada) that have serious structural damage rust. My dealer friend bought a 2013 Cadillac CTS coupe from a Cadillac dealer last summer that was so rusty it was scrapped. But to look at it you would never know. The body and paint were very nice. Until they put it on a hoist to do a safety inspection and the sub frame caved in. The Cadi dealer had to take it back and return his money but the dealership fought to not take it back. 

• Like 3

We don't have anything put on our roads in the winter over here that will rot your car, not cold enough I guess so all they get is wet.

Great driving at the moment as its the middle of summer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

My dealer friend bought a 2013 Cadillac CTS coupe from a Cadillac dealer last summer that was so rusty it was scrapped. But to look at it you would never know. The body and paint were very nice.

Similar story on my brother's late 90's Chevy Malibu. He got it 10+ years ago with with extremely low miles (maybe 30-40k) and paid only $2000. He figured the low price was due to an uninformed seller, but in retrospect the previous owner was probably aware of the condition, hence the price. My brother did drive if for 10 years, though. Good thing it didn't come apart while he was driving it. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

There are plenty of 10 year old cars around here (Ontario Canada) that have serious structural damage rust. My dealer friend bought a 2013 Cadillac CTS coupe from a Cadillac dealer last summer that was so rusty it was scrapped. But to look at it you would never know. The body and paint were very nice. Until they put it on a hoist to do a safety inspection and the sub frame caved in. The Cadi dealer had to take it back and return his money but the dealership fought to not take it back. 

I bought a parts car when I was restoring my 77 ta. It came from n. nj. The body was absolutely perfect in every way. I literally could have buffed the paint and it would have looked like a new car. The floors and frame rails were completely gone. It was obvious the owner kept the car washed and cleaned on the top side never caring for the underneath.

• Like 3

So how does one clean the inside of frame, frame rails, rockers ? When salt gets in it stays. Park near the Atlantic when a Nor’easter blows in, good luck fixing that. 

On 1/17/2024 at 3:39 PM, TAKerry said:

I would not have a problem with snow only. But in my part they start to brine then spread salt faster than the snow can fall! All in all not bad I suppose as our roads are quite passable not long after the snow stops flying, but the chemicals will ruin a car faster than just about anything. Not worth it. They typically put so much on our roads will literally be white from the salt. I took mine out the other day just before it got bad. Now its gonna take a couple of good rain storms to wash the roads off before I go out again.

I should add, your car looks great! Show car or not.

I agree completely: the brine is the worst!

I am in Texas and the winter weather we get usually only amounts to a handful of days that get much below freezing and a handful of days with a dusting of light snow (less than a couple inches total) and a few days dealing with ice storms. There have been a couple of exceptions (2021 especially) where things got unusually bad for a much longer period of time, but for the most part it's a matter of a few cold days here and there. The procedure had always been that the entire area essentially shuts down until it warms up and everything melts away. Since that usually only takes a couple of days, it wasn't really ever a big deal. Then everyone from the local municipalities to the state highway departments discovered brine. 

They are so trigger happy here with that brine garbage that they'll start spraying the roads here 5-6 days before we might get snow or ice so we get to drive around in it for nearly a week before anything happens. There is so much of it that it's like driving down the road on streets that have been painted white. Eventually it gets so dusty it's like driving through a dust storm. Then we have to wait for a major rain event or two to get is all washed off the roads. 

The stuff is horrible. I don't even like to drive my modern daily driver in it, let alone any of my old stuff. 

At least we only get it here in short bursts. I feel bad for those of you that have to deal with this stuff for months on end. I spend a lot of time in the rust belt and upper midwest part of the country and the amount of rust seen on even relatively new vehicles is just unbelievable. 

Edited by Scooter Guy (see edit history)

I took a 66 Mustang Conv. in on a trade for a Porsche Speedster Replicar.   Mustang looked real nice, but when I looked underneath

it had two pieces of angle iron welded to the floor in a big X, to keep it from breaking in half.  I didn't allow much for that trade and

required prospective buyers to look underneath.   The kid that bought it said he worked in a body shop and it would be an easy fix.

I doubt it.

• Like 1