Towing Vehicles: 2wd vs. 4wd

I tow with both and would prefer 4wd. The only reason my 3/4 ton Silverado is 2wd is I found a used truck that was just too nice to pass up. I’m always a little uneasy I will end up in a low-traction situation, like parking on wet grass, and will get stuck.

• Like 3

Well, strictly for towing, then 2WD would offer the maximum GVWR.  If, however, you're pulling a big camper/RV or horse trailer, where you may have to go off-pavement, then the added traction of 4WD would be important to consider.

• Like 5

Steve,

I am just a car collector hobbyist that tows mostly during summer months.  So, I tow my heavy Buicks with a 2019 GMC Yukon Denali with the 6.2L gasoline engine and 10 speed transmission.  I get 23 MPG highway and just over 10 MPG towing with my 20' V nose all aluminum enclosed trailer in 2wd.  I have not yet needed to use 4wd while towing except to get through a muddy uphill spot on a private driveway. 

This SUV is rated to tow 8500 lbs., rides much better than a pickup, and is much easier to park in town.  I have been very satisfied with this rig while towing my Buicks.  I suggest you consider buying an all-aluminum trailer if you plan to use a light duty tow vehicle since aluminum trailers are much lighter & last longer because they don't rust.   I personally believe an aluminum trailer is a more cost-effective investment than buying a higher rated tow vehicle. 

Good luck,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All of my Suburban tow vehicles have been 2-WD.

I never thought, living in the deep south, that I'd even have a use for 4-WD.

WRONG !!

Visiting, and towing to and from the north, inclement weather, were basically OK,

then one AACA Meet, all trailers were required to park on a grassy slope, mine pulled by my 2002 Suburban 2500 2-WD. 

The it rained.

I needed to be towed out (up a modest incline) because my 2-WD rear wheels just could not find traction, pulling the trailer.

Since that time, I've aquired  two more tow vehicles, a 2000 Excursion 7.3L Diesel 4-WD, and a 2006 Chevy Avalanche 2500 4-WD.

My suggestion?

Always buy more than you need today.

Plan for tomorrow.

• Like 7

I spent about a year looking for a pickup before I finally pulled the trigger. In my experience about 80-90% are 4 wheel drive. And about 95% have extra cab space. We ran 2wd trucks only forever. I remember when my brother bought his first 4wd truck (company work truck) dad about had a stroke for wasting money on it. Since then we have only bought 4wd. As to towing, I dont think I have ever put my truck into 4wd whilst towing. Not sure that you would need it more than maybe once. BUT, its that once that you wish you would have had it! The initial cost may be a bit more, but living in your area a 4wd will not go to waste. Just like buying a tool and to reiterate what Marty said, buy the best you can afford.

• Thanks 1

I just bought my fourth full size Silverado with 4WD, two 1/2 ton and two 3/4 ton units.  I have rarely put them in 4WD, but on the occasional time I have needed it, it is indispensable.  Most of the time is going on a tour and needing to park on the grass.  When not towing I have used it in winter here in Michigan when the snow is heavy, but maybe only a couple of times a season.  

I started towing with a 1/2 ton and finally moved to a 3/4 ton diesel a few years ago and will never go back to a 1/2 ton for towing except in a pinch. 

As has been said before on this forum, buy more truck than you think you will ever need because you will eventually need it.

PS: my 1/2 ton GMC Denali crew cab is my everyday work truck/ grocery getter.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 3

My last three trucks have been 2WD. They sell for giveaway prices here in NY. I got stuck in the mud once, but I definitely could have avoided that situation by staying off the grass after heavy rain. A 2WD truck will get marginally better fuel economy and have marginally higher tow capacity. They sometimes ride and handle better than their 4WD counterparts. My current rig is a 2017 Nissan Titan XD diesel crew cab. I bought it used, one year old with 34k miles for $21,500. It was $43k new. I don't plan on selling it.

7 hours ago, West Peterson said:

99.9% of the time you won't need it.

The problem is, your wife will be with you 100% of that 0.1% of the time...  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/23/2024 at 3:54 PM, EmTee said:

The problem is, your wife will be with you 100% of that 0.1% of the time...  :P

I wish I had a picture of my wife splattered with mud from the last time our 2WD truck got stuck in a field with wet grass. Snapping a photo of here would not have been in my best interest 🫣

From my experience while I wish I had 4wd for those times I could have used it, I'll save the extra cash in gas and maintenance and stick with 2wd.

• Like 3

If you're already happy with your 2WD tow vehicle or don't want the extra cost of 4WD when not needed, consider having an Eaton limited slip rear end installed.  I had an F250  that I really liked but it would not pull a loaded trailer up my gravel driveway at my new place when we were getting ready to move. Buying a new place and moving everything 700 miles didn't seem like the time to go truck shopping. A local transmission shop installed the all gear, nothing to ever adjust or wear out Eaton.  It wasn't cheap but a lot cheaper than changing trucks.  10 years ago I think It cost me a little over $1000 out the door, no idea what it costs now, but I was amaze at the difference.  No problem with my drive or wet grass anymore.  I have had some construction people with 4WD pulling a trailer up my drive have problems because there positraction was worn out or needed adjusting.  Just another option, wish I would have done the swap years before when we lived in the North.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2wd old Silverado and a 4wd Sierra and hardly ever use the 2wd except locally and on flat ground.  I live in a Mild climate, Delaware, and still use the 4wd for towing big Buicks or Chevelles.  I have pulled into shows, and they pointed for me to go up that wet, grassy hill and park and unload.  You never know when you are going to need it, which fortunately rarely happens.  But with my fwd, I have never heard that strange, unpleasant noise coming from the vicinity of the passenger seat when I am slip-slidin’ down the hill!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2024 at 6:55 AM, STEVE POLLARD said:

I'm down to the manufacture ( GM ), but regarding 2wd and 4wd, which one do you guys prefer ? Which is better ?

Thanks again for the input !

Like (almost) everything in life, including cars/vehicles/etc, “better ?” is very individual/subjective.

What do you plan to tow (type of trailer, cars, load of hay or lumber, etc…), how often, what distances, roads/routes, seasons, etc, etc, … ?

When shopping used, decisions like this where 4WD isn't an imperative often come down to assessment of the vehicle overall.  I wouldn't necessarily pass on a 4WD truck that ticked all of my requirements, or I judged nicer overall than a 2WD under consideration.  In fact, I was shopping for a 2WD pickup when replacing my well-worn '89 C1500 Chevy.  I came home with an '04 Z71 Silverado that I still own (now with 270K mi) and would probably not bother with another 2WD...

• 2 weeks later...

In my area it's getting harder to find a two wheel drive truck on a dealer's lot.  For all of the years that I worked nights and had to get to work when the roads weren't plowed I haven't had anything less than a 4-wheel drive for the last 30 years.  I know they're more money, but I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

• Like 1