1910 Buick model 19 unearthed in one piece. "It's all there, and all original."

Morgan Wright

• Morgan Wright changed the title to 1910 Buick model 19 unearthed in one piece. "It's all there, and all original."

Looks like a 1909-10 Model 16/17 engine in the Model 19, 35+ HP. Two jugs, not a T-head and never was. Will have to look at catalog to see where it fit, thought 19 was larger, but Buick numbering is as bad as Chrysler in the 1930s!

2 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

I heard the model 19 used a T-head engine but this is clearly a jughead. Near me.

19-1.jpg

19-3.jpg

19-4.jpg

19-5.jpg

19-6.jpg

19-7.jpg

19-8.jpg

No, the Model 19 did not have a T head engine.

It was powered by a 255 C.I. valve-in-head 4.

Here's a photo of the 1910 Buick Model 19 summary:

PXL_20231016_234323072.jpg.b93505be86b06d8990d4a164a6619cef.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 10/16/2023 at 8:36 PM, Larry Schramm said:

The only non overhead valve that Buick ever used was in a 1913 Buick truck.  It was a one year only use. 

Larry,

With all due respect, I think you've missed the 1910/1911 Model 14 Buggyabout which had a two cylinder valve in block motor:

The car that was found is definitely interesting, and shows that there are still cars in hiding waiting to be found.

Happy Motoring,

Rusty Berg

Ummmmm, You all forgot the Buick T-head, 1907-1908 Models D, S, H, and K. The Model K, H, S and D had a 4 cylinder, 255 CID, T-head engine and was the first four cylinder engine built by Buick in 1907. The Model D was a touring and the Model S was a roadster. These are rare but there are  still  couple in existence. The Model H and K was a different version, but had the same engine. Here is a photo of a Model S roadster, owned by the Early Buick Expert, Mr.  Skip Carpenter.

Also, in one-year-only, a Model 5 in 1908 that had a four cylinder, T-head and was 336 CID.

The Model 19 is a middle size car with 255  OHV CID. The  Model 16/17 is the largest car for 1909-1910 and had the 318 OHV CID engine.

Model S Buick.jpg

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This Model 19 is a great car. I like the "middle teens" (or slightly later) modifications such as the added front doors and some of the engine's improvements.

My Model 16 has early engine modifications such as a side mount water pump, carburetor/manifold, Stewart vacuum gas system, grease cups valve rockers, etc. The body had the seat lowered and slanted  to give it a "racy" look.

1910 Buick As Found By Glenn Brown 2.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Just saw this thread today. Neat car. Nice lines. With the rust through it's kind of hard to figure out any plan to drive it as is. Certainly worth restoring, and mostly straight forward to do.........I'm glad I have other stuff in front of me........looks lie something I would like to take on. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Maybe some black duct tape on the holes in the seats.  It would very much be eligible for a HPOF designation and be fun to drive. 

I expect the original leather is hard.  I wonder whether it could be brought back enough to actually allow use without crumbling.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Over the years I have seen restored examples go for in the $60,000 price range. Most had started out asking $75K.

As much as I have always wanted to have an early brass Buick, just to do enough to be a driver with "patina" you would be into it for another $20K. Like so many other period car restorations in this day, one would need to invest $200,000+to have the car be worth $60,000. In MY Opinion..... I have chased about 15 Brass Buicks for the the last 13 years. My favorite experience was the one closest to me in VA. The 96 year old owner wanted to start at $20,000 and "Dicker UP"?

He had done an interpretive restoration of a 1910 Model 10 runabout. (Somewhat less in power than the 1910 Model 19 in question.) Nicely painted and upholstered but with mismatched components and it did not run as he promised it would be at the time of inspection. It had been sitting in a box truck for over 6 years. After the owner had passed I tried to contact his son (who does not drive) and tried to negogtiate a purchase. He would not consider selling since he was afraid that a future owner may HOT ROD it!

DSCF3524.JPG.f0cdddaba17c94c1054e62f98735c0fe.JPG DSCF3516.JPG.10c1102805738e4684e9005617761053.JPG

Morgan:

On the 1910-10 I asked when I first responded to his "Wanting this to go a Buick loving home" sale request through the local regional BCA chapters, does it have a top? He replied in the affirmative. We talked for several weeks before he would give us a day to inspect the car. If all he said was true I would have considered the $20,000 starting price. The day we met was a lovely 95 degree, high humidity in early September. Yuck! His son, my wife Joan and I had to push the car out of the "hot box" trailer to get better photos in daylight. We were dripping in sweat. I asked where was the top? He said it never had a top! I pointed out that it had all the required hardware. Nope.... never had a top...After pointing out the incorrect components.... 1911 Radiator, Incorrect front axle, spark/throttle control and some other items and the missing top plus he said that it would be running when we got there. No attempt was made to prepare it to run and it had not run for at least 6 years. This was in 2016. I offered $15,000 and he appeared to be insulted. From my last contact to the family after the owner had passed in 2018 they still have the car.

DSCF3521.JPG.f6b8791fbd7b6843e6712adc680cd36b.JPG

• 3 weeks later...