INTERIOR MOLD - how to get rid of it/clean it.

STEVE POLLARD

Getting ready to sell my '07 GMC van and while cleaning it out a few weeks ago, I've noticed mold growing on the seats / carpet / seat belts and steering wheel ( it's been sitting, has not been used in a month ). I used some Clorox wipes and some after market spray cleaner for auto interiors and I thought I was done with it. Well, I went to move the van today and the mold has return. I can't sell it with this issue, what can I do to permanently remove it ?

Steve

I’ve run classic yachts for over 45 years. We used TSP to clean teak decks. It’s quite abusive to skin and I can’t imagine how it would affect the interior parts of a vehicle. The main and most important thing about using TSP was rinsing it all out of the wood after scrubbing across the grain as any left over would burn feet (we insisted on bare feet on the yachts).  I always spent more time rinsing the teak then actually scrubbing them with the TSP.  I’m sure Keizer figure out the proper way to use this product in a vehicle, I just never spent that much time on land or around cars during those years. I’m not a “cautious” guy and never bothered with gloves and masks but this stuff will burn skin.

We always wiped down the interior of the yachts with vinegar at the end of charter season to prevent mold growing from skin or sweat having been rubbed on the paneling. 
 Just some thoughts from a “beached sailor”!

• Like 1

The internet and Amazon offer many specific mold removing solutions. I'd suggest using one of these products, as long as they are save for car interior materials, before using a "home remedy".

https://www.amazon.com/CLR-Bleach-Free-Remover-Fiberglass-Concrete/dp/B08NRCW9NZ/ref=sr_1_6?hvadid=635427015299&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9033790&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=8900473846439702500&hvtargid=kwd-5400983153&hydadcr=21414_13423237&keywords=mold+remover+spray&qid=1697085233&sr=8-6

"Multi-purpose: Effective on a wide variety of surfaces including painted walls, ceramic tile, hardwood floors, baseboards, fabrics, glass, metal, brick, concrete, marble & laminated countertops. Great for boat cushions and outdoor furniture"   [vinyl ??]

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to INTERIOR MOLD - how to get rid of it/clean it.

Thanks for all the replies....there is moisture getting into the vehicle, I've notice a lot of condensation on the inside of the windshield, so there might be a leak with the windshield gasket....I need to resolve that issue before going ahead with the mold (  ever notice when your about to sell a vehicle, something always happens ? - it doesn't want to leave us... 😄 )

Steve 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 7:54 AM, TAKerry said:

large desicant bags as well to help control the moisture.

Just a follow up... I purchase extra desiccant bags to place in the van and I tried the vinegar and water solution a few days ago..... as of today the mold is gone, no signs of it! 

I appreciate the input,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm sure there are less expensive places to buy it!😄

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry to hear about the mold issue in your van, and I understand your frustration with it returning after your initial cleaning attempts. Mold can be quite stubborn, but you can take steps to permanently remove it.To address this problem effectively, I recommend following these tips on how to remove mold. First and foremost, ensure that the interior of your van is completely dry. Mold thrives in damp conditions, so using a dehumidifier or allowing for proper ventilation can help eliminate excess moisture. Next, create a cleaning solution by mixing water with either white vinegar or hydrogen peroxide. Both of these options are known for their mold-killing properties. You can use a 1:1 ratio of water to your chosen cleaning agent.

Edited by CelestAustin (see edit history)

Two items that I would consider easy is to pull the seats and remove the carpeting.  Power wash the carpeting with some Tide and use some mold killer on the jute backing. If the jute backing is really wet and smells buy some new.  It is not that expensive and probably the best route after power washing the carpet both sides.  Let both dry in the sun for several day to be really dry.  Then if you want, scrub the seats if they are cloth and rinse with a hose.  Let them sit outside and dry for maybe a week.

Then to the inside of the van look for where the water is getting in.  Fix the water leak.  Windshields are a good prime suspect.  If there are any wiring harness looms in the floor area, inspect for standing water/ mold.  If so, remove, clean and reinstall.  This is an area that many persons over look.

Spray some mold killer through the A/C ducts from the outside until it comes into the vehicle.  This should sanitize the heater core and the evaporator core.   Try to spray under the dash.

If you want to go the the extreme, put a dehumidifier in the van and run it for a few days.

This should fix your mold problem.....but find the leak.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 10:32 AM, STEVE POLLARD said:

Thanks for all the replies....there is moisture getting into the vehicle, I've notice a lot of condensation on the inside of the windshield, so there might be a leak with the windshield gasket....I need to resolve that issue before going ahead with the mold (  ever notice when your about to sell a vehicle, something always happens ? - it doesn't want to leave us... 😄 )

Probably did not happen [ mold ] when you were driving it more as the doors opening and closing kept everything aired out. 

Ben

On 10/13/2023 at 10:32 AM, STEVE POLLARD said:

Steve 

When tackling mold in a vehicle, it's essential to take thorough measures. Begin by cleaning all affected areas with a mixture of water and white vinegar. Make sure to scrub and disinfect the seats, carpet, seat belts, and steering wheel. Ensure proper ventilation during and after cleaning to prevent moisture buildup. You can find helpful tips and guidance from mold experts in Traverse City MI. Their insights might offer valuable solutions to your mold problem, even though the locations are different. After cleaning, consider using a mold inhibitor or preventive spray designed for automotive interiors. This can help prevent mold from returning.

Edited by Blaketincef (see edit history)