Trunk cardboard original style

gungeey

1 hour ago, gungeey said:

Someone mentioned they had some low priced cardboard kits..50 bucks, if I recall? 

Anybody thar can refresh my memory? Thanks 👍 

If I remember correctly it was Gene G. of AB&G.

Bill

P.S. It looks like Gene may have shifted inventory to Bob.

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

I have a sample piece of Lou’s linings in a collection of old trivial Riviera junk. It has a sticker on the back with Lou’s contact information.

I have the same sample or "had", LOL.

Purging my house. Will post Riviera parts eventually.

Lou has moved outside of SD. Those were the days when BCA was run out of there.

10 hours ago, XframeFX said:

I have yet to fully install mine purchased from L. Adzima in the late 80s!

I just replaced mine and the old ones were from Lou and had an ink stamp on the back 😁

After seeing Bills 63 I vinyl wrapped the new ones. 

IMG_0827.jpeg

IMG_0831.jpeg

• Like 3

I still have about 40 sets left. I do not ship them because it is so expensive and there is a good chance that they will get bent. I only charge 50 dollars a set but shipping is about 50 dollars or so.UPS will not insure them unless they wrap them. That makes it more than anyone wants to spend. These were produced in the 70;s Lou Adzima sold me all his trunk cardboard back in the late 90's and I sold them all to Clarkes Corsair's back in the 90's. Just an update . Gene.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 71GS said:

the old ones were from Lou

Couldn't you have wrapped Lou's cardboard? Used contact cement?

Using Brian's trunk image, I'm missing that hold-down clip and spring for the bumper jack. About as important as a cap for the opti-kleen bottle. Just a minor detail.

Brian, you have 5 Skylark Wire Wheels? Do they require tubes? size 215/75-15 to fit on the shelf? Some debris on your paint? 

My wheel well covering was a disaster. Next time contact cement to 1-side only and apply immediately when still wet. Liner does not stretch over the contour. A trick?

image.png.9cbc727473faaf1c1f61f7c4597115cc.png

• Like 1

If you have an example, you can fabricate a hold down clip.  

A trick for applying contact cement:  Lay the piece to be attached to the base dry. Use some clips to position one half of the piece to the base. Fold the other half back over the the secured half.  Apply the contact cement to the exposed surfaces. Wait for the contact cement to “cure.”  Work the material from the fold toward the end a little at a time.  When that half is secured, take off the clips, fold the loose half back over the half you’ve just glued down and repeat the process.  Take your time and go slow. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chasander said:

I used spray adhesive to wrap mine, but not staying very well. I may have used to heavy of a vinyl or glued it wrong. 

Bummer. I used 3m super 77 spray adhesive and let it dry good. I used a vinyl Bill recommended from https://www.yourautotrim.com/

it is a good idea to use a thinner and somewhat stretchable vinyl. 
No issues so far and I love the look

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XframeFX said:

Couldn't you have wrapped Lou's cardboard? Used contact cement?

Using Brian's trunk image, I'm missing that hold-down clip and spring for the bumper jack. About as important as a cap for the opti-kleen bottle. Just a minor detail.

Brian, you have 5 Skylark Wire Wheels? Do they require tubes? size 215/75-15 to fit on the shelf? Some debris on your paint? 

My wheel well covering was a disaster. Next time contact cement to 1-side only and apply immediately when still wet. Liner does not stretch over the contour. A trick?

image.png.9cbc727473faaf1c1f61f7c4597115cc.png

Xframe, 

The old Lou’s cardboard I had had seen better days so I bought a new kit from cars I think. I haven’t redone the liner and wheel wells although I’d kinda like too. I’m sure the wheelhouse is tricky to get right.

Yes, I found 5 nos Skylarks. Crazy, I know. The spare is a 205 out of my brothers old 67 vette. 215 didn’t want to fit up there too well. I run the cover on it but do like it off too. Yes I run tubes and have had zero issues in 6-7000 miles. 
That a reflection on the garage light on the paint in front of the deck lid 😁

Edited by 71GS (see edit history)

I do not have 40 sets left, but I have some sets for $50. Plus shipping. I ship so the product arrives safe and sound. The shipper I use provides free insurance up to $50.00.

Shipping costs are about 1/2 of UPS, And FedEx. 
The last shipment I made was a Rallye wheel to the West Coast for $32.00. I’ve shipped to Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, France, and Australia to contented customers. Shipping is like anything else it helps if you know what you are doing.

Gene knows exactly what he is doing and his method is another way to do things. There is more than one way to do a job.

Turbinator

• Like 2

There are numerous types  and styles of vinyl you can use on your trunk kit card board liners. Sailrite has some good tutorials on gluing technique. The tutorials are free and on their website.

Additionally, Sailrite sells a 4 way stretch haircell grain vinyl. I found Sailrite glue easier ( for me) to use when working with vinyl. Of course, there are a lot of adhesives from which to choose. I maintain there are numerous ways to do a job. Find the method suits you.

Turbinator

14 hours ago, Chasander said:

I used spray adhesive to wrap mine, but not staying very well. I may have used to heavy of a vinyl or glued it wrong. 

Chuck, I found putting a light coat on each piece you are going to join. Let it tack up before you join the two surfaces. Some vinyl adhesives are made to be forgiving when joining the two surfaces. You can position the piece where you want with no problem of adhesion. Contact cement  style adhesive does not work for me on applying vinyl. Unfortunately, I’ve had to experiment more than I want to talk about. But, the experiments lead me to be experienced with some vinyl applications. Expert? No way, however adequate.

On 9/16/2023 at 12:02 PM, RivNut said:

Here’s a link that shows a hold down spring handle that I made from a piece of wir

Thank Ed. Now what would the spring length be, eye-to-eye retracted? I know I can improvise but it would be nice to closely match original.

4 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Thank Ed. Now what would the spring length be, eye-to-eye retracted? I know I can improvise but it would be nice to closely match original.

That was an older thread. The car for which I made that handle is in storage an hour and a have south of me.  I won’t be out there anytime soon.  Perhaps someone who has access to something in their garage can answer that for you.  

6 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Guess what I found, in the first box I opened. Lucky?  
Anyway here’s a picture showing two springs. I think the longer one is stretched because both springs have 32 coils

IMG_1398.jpeg.6a43072a3944f3f85db06041c94a19f0.jpeg

The outside diameter is 1/2”.  I have no way of measuring the diameter of the wire. Chances are you’ll find a spring that looks right. Buy a length of it, bend two coils at a 90 degree angle to make your loops at each end and to make the main section of the spring 4-1/2”. It will look OE and no one will be able to tell what you’ve done.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jim Milewski said:

Does anyone know where I can find the four clips that hold the cardboard to the trunk hinge area ?

Those are tough to find. Try the vendors listed in the Riview. I found a set for a friend from So Cal Riviera Farm. He is the guy that bought up Larry Daisey's Riviera parts collection. 909-786-5323.

Bill

In the meantime,  use some of the smallest binder clips you can find.  Once you've put them in place, remove the handles.  Save the handles for when you want to remove them.  The OE clips are not unique to the Riviera. Many other GM cars from the era used them as well. I've found them in Electras, Wildcats, etc.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

On 9/16/2023 at 12:23 PM, abandg said:

I still have about 40 sets left. I do not ship them because it is so expensive and there is a good chance that they will get bent. I only charge 50 dollars a set but shipping is about 50 dollars or so.UPS will not insure them unless they wrap them. That makes it more than anyone wants to spend. These were produced in the 70;s Lou Adzima sold me all his trunk cardboard back in the late 90's and I sold them all to Clarkes Corsair's back in the 90's. Just an update . Gene.

I have been selling some Chrysler Hemi parts online and found https://www.pirateship.com/rates

You might want to check a package at their rates. I sent an oil pan and main bearing caps from NY to SC for a little under $30, about half the USPS rate.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Here is the photo of the trunk cardboard kit.

cost of cardboard kit $50.00.

Flat rate shipping CONUS $29.00

Total cost to include shipping of one complete original cardboard trunk it for first gen Riviera. Vacuum trunk opener kit not included. $79.00

( CONUS =‘Continental United States)

Canada is not included. Use PayPal but I must bet $79.00 pay out.

IMG_1656.jpeg

IMG_1655.jpeg

Turbinator if you have two I'll take two. Maybe we can squeak the shipping cost but let me know. PM sent,  Steve

13 minutes ago, Loren@65GS.com said:

Our '63 has a factory vacuum trunk release. Can this be modified for the release? 

I'm interested in a set if so.

Loren@65GS.com

No. The diameter of the vacuum actuator is too large. That's why Buick made the other set.

Sorry.