removing wood wheel on Chrysler

31 LaSalle

54 minutes ago, 31 LaSalle said:

I have a 1928 Chrysler 72 with wood wheels I know how to remove wheel and tyre but not sure how to remove complete wheel does this require puller of some description

You need a puller that screws on to the threads of the hub if your car has them.If not you need a 3 jaw puller that bolts on to the  lugs that hold the wheels on. Usually not a big deal but some can be stubborn, others practically  fall off. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mikewest said:

You need a puller that screws on to the threads of the hub if your car has them.If not you need a 3 jaw puller that bolts on to the  lugs that hold the wheels on. Usually not a big deal but some can be stubborn, others practically  fall off. 

Does anyone know what thread the hubs on Chrysler 72 are to enable me to manufacture a puller

11 minutes ago, 31 LaSalle said:

Does anyone know what thread the hubs on Chrysler 72 are to enable me to manufacture a puller

I don't want to come across as a smart arse, but if you have the where withal to make one surely you have access to a set of calipers and a thread pitch gauge?

I am assuming from your post that you have or at least have access to a lathe. If you need the detail to have someone else do it on your behalf take a hub cap with you so they can measure it up. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fordy said:

I don't want to come across as a smart arse, but if you have the where withal to make one surely you have access to a set of calipers and a thread pitch gauge?

I am assuming from your post that you have or at least have access to a lathe. If you need the detail to have someone else do it on your behalf take a hub cap with you so they can measure it up. 

No problem you are only saying it as it is   and yes i have a lathe / calipers and a thread gauge  

• Like 1

I don't know thread size but here is a common hub mounting drum puller. A Kent Moore common to many makes, especially those that used early Motor Wheel brand brake drums with Lockheed Wagner brake systems.  Threads on the hub, then tighten the pinch bolt to get a strong grip on the hub threads to reduce chance of stripping them. Then tighten the pushing bolt against the end of the axle shaft.

Paul

Brake drum puller on front drum.JPG

Rear brake drum puller, Pitman arm puller.JPG

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

There are many different sizes of these pullers so you must be certain what you are looking for and what is being sold to you.  I found one at Hershey last year for my 28 Model 72, better if you could examine and measure what you are buying yourself.  Many of the ones I see on ebay are being offered by people who do not know the exact size of the puller.  In the photo above I prefer the puller with the locking bolt on the side.  It insures a tight fit even if the threads are worn.  You cannot pull the rear hubs on your Chrysler without one of these pullers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PFitz said:

I don't know thread size but here is a common hub mounting drum puller. A Kent Moore common to many makes, especially those that used early Motor Wheel brand brake drums with Lockheed Wagner brake systems.  Threads on the hub, then tighten the pinch bolt to get a strong grip on the hub threads to reduce chance of stripping them. Then tighten the pushing bolt against the end of the axle shaft.

Paul

Brake drum puller on front drum.JPG

Rear brake drum puller, Pitman arm puller.JPG

Thank you its good to see the actual tool required

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, maok said:

FYI, the thread size of the front hub is different to the rear hub. Well, it was on my '28 series 62, most likely the case with the series 72

You mean it has a front hub cap and a rear hub cap? 

8 hours ago, maok said:

FYI, the thread size of the front hub is different to the rear hub. Well, it was on my '28 series 62, most likely the case with the series 72

Hi maok you are correct they are different    front 2 1/2 x 16 tpi     rear 2 3/8 x 16 tpi 

• Like 1

I had a really multi-hub wheel puller but I sold it to White Post because I'm downsizing. Maybe they will rent it to you. There are many ways to pull a Chrysler wheel but too much to write. If you haven't taken it off yet ,you may call me Eastern Standard Time. 610 863 6955 , evenings. I also have a Chrysler Tool Book. I only do 1924 to 1932 Chryslers.

• Like 1

These are really high strength nuts if they can withstand 250-300#/feet of torque.

I will have to cobble up the rest of a puller, but these should solve the thread issue.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 36 D2 Coupe said:

I may have a puller for sale but will have to check. It came to me labelled as being for '28 Chrysler and looks like it was shop built. If it will work, you can have it for a nominal fee plus shipping. 

Thank you for your kind offer but now I have seen the picture of the tool I have started to make one thank you once again