Another "Holy Grail" car heading to Auction, 1962 Ferrari GTO.

Gunsmoke

I see on Hemmings daily feed that a rare event is about to occur, a 1962 Ferrari GTO is set to head to the auction block in November, and not just any such car (of 36 produced), but the only Scuderia Ferrari Factory raced one of these cars. For over 30 years I've had a 1/18" diecast model of this car that may be my favorite car of all time, and I expect the car will challenge the record books when the hammer falls. $100M, more, less?  

1962 Ferrari 330LM 250 GTO.webp

• Like 1

Being one tending towards the unorthodox, THIS is the one to have.

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/18621/lot/66/66one-off1972-ferrari-365-gtb4-daytona-shooting-brake-chassis-no-15275/

image.jpeg.8782514b188915454f540e6843ebb432.jpeg

image.jpeg.91ff1351fa62cad4255f1ecd6fef6441.jpeg

image.jpeg.0fd21d07ef2645620d85120f908afbd4.jpeg

image.jpeg.fd5d20370faf9b93384408a5167e51cf.jpeg

66One off
1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona 'Shooting Brake'
Coachwork by Panther Westwinds to a design by Luigi Chinetti, Jr.

Chassis no. 15275

Footnotes

Introduced in 1968 with production beginning in 1969, the 365 GTB/4 was Ferrari's response to an evolving market and, even more important, changing regulations in the United States, where increasingly stringent emissions standards and rigid safety-related regulations had made the previous generation of Ferraris unsaleable. The 365 GTB/4 was bigger, both in bulk and in the power to propel it, more luxuriously equipped and was wrapped in a Pininfarina-designed, Scaglietti-built body that was equally a departure from earlier Ferraris.

Edited by PWN (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Wow.  Thank you for sharing.  I was in a local suburb (of Des Moines, Iowa) when a Ferrari or Lamborghini came out of a stop when I had to stop, saw the tail end.  They are around.  Des Moines has a "Concours" every September and the old money and some new money show their supercars. 

I used to rather like vintage F cars and P cars until they became stupidly expensive. Now they are just trophy cars for the uber rich. Much like trophy wives they are now the last thing I would ever get involved with even if I struck it rich on the lotto. 

Wonderfull things when 40 or 50% of car people could afford them. Now that just the top 1/2 of the 1% are the only ones that can join the club you might as well be drooling over a super yacht.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PWN said:

Being one tending towards the unorthodox, THIS is the one to have.

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/18621/lot/66/66one-off1972-ferrari-365-gtb4-daytona-shooting-brake-chassis-no-15275/

image.jpeg.8782514b188915454f540e6843ebb432.jpeg

image.jpeg.91ff1351fa62cad4255f1ecd6fef6441.jpeg

image.jpeg.0fd21d07ef2645620d85120f908afbd4.jpeg

image.jpeg.fd5d20370faf9b93384408a5167e51cf.jpeg

66One off
1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona 'Shooting Brake'
Coachwork by Panther Westwinds to a design by Luigi Chinetti, Jr.

Chassis no. 15275

Footnotes

Introduced in 1968 with production beginning in 1969, the 365 GTB/4 was Ferrari's response to an evolving market and, even more important, changing regulations in the United States, where increasingly stringent emissions standards and rigid safety-related regulations had made the previous generation of Ferraris unsaleable. The 365 GTB/4 was bigger, both in bulk and in the power to propel it, more luxuriously equipped and was wrapped in a Pininfarina-designed, Scaglietti-built body that was equally a departure from earlier Ferraris.

Nice but I would take the Trans Am version Kammback over this, probably easier and def. cheaper to work on!

I would take any Ferrari if given to me, but I particularly like the early 70's Daytonas (I think thats what theyre called, they look like a datsun Z car)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Nice but I would take the Trans Am version Kammback over this, probably easier and def. cheaper to work on!

I would take any Ferrari if given to me, but I particularly like the early 70's Daytonas (I think thats what theyre called, they look like a datsun Z car)

Never heard of the car until now...thank you. It certainly is a cool car, but being a concept pretty rare still I imagine. However, the Vega kammback can be had for 10,000 - but not nearly as cool or nice looking.

All kinds of cars for all kinds of people, open , enclosed, short, long , newer and ancient, loud, quiet etc. . Kinda like people - that there are all types .

My own preference is : don't like the color red, like my cars older, more perpendicular, usually equipped with running boards, flat glass windows, and something I don't have to bend over so far to get into. I like to sit up in a car , higher perspective. To each their own. 😇

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Does that second-gen car still survive?  Or did GM destroy it?    As I recall, it was updated at least twice to make it the current model year when it was shown around in the 70's for several years.

Craig

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

... I particularly like the early 70's Daytonas (I think thats what theyre called, they look like a datsun Z car)

Well, officially/technically their model designation is "365 GTB/4" (produced from about 1969 to 1973) and if I may, I'd say Datsun Z (is/was trying to) look like them (not the other way around). 😉

Here's a couple I've restored in past 20 years and continue to look after.

IMG_6992.PNG

• Like 2

The '62 GTO and the early '70's Daytonas were aimed at 2 different markets. The GTO was Alpha Male, top of the food order, take no prisoners car, purposeful design for one purpose, racing, with only 3 dozen made. The Dayton was sleek and 1400 produced, but I find hood length is too long, don't like the way rear windows disappear into roofline, and that recessed beltline is needless cosmetics (would look better without it). And don't ever take  photo with lights on, a problem with most hidden headlight cars. They are a fine car no doubt, but that Grrrrrr....TO, worth about 30x the money I'm guessing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I see on Hemmings daily feed that a rare event is about to occur, a 1962 Ferrari GTO is set to head to the auction block in November, and not just any such car (of 36 produced), but the only Scuderia Ferrari Factory raced one of these cars. For over 30 years I've had a 1/18" diecast model of this car that may be my favorite car of all time, and I expect the car will challenge the record books when the hammer falls. $100M, more, less?  

1962 Ferrari 330LM 250 GTO.webp

My tastes run more towards early to mid-1930s cars, which for the most part are much more affordable.  However, say what you want, that is one sexy SOB.

For a tiny fraction of what this GTO will sell for I would buy one of these and have something I was not afraid to take out of a vault let alone out on the track. As fast or faster in the right hands as well. I could spend the rest of my life learning the care and feeding of a Chevron. 

But as a mere m1974-chevron-b26-chocolate-droportal I have to make do with my Lola S2000.

There was a time when dual purpose cars made sense { road driveable race cars } and GTO's were as good as any. But they really don't make very good road cars, and as race cars lots of far cheaper cars will eat them for lunch. Most Chevrons for example. I really don't understand why they command such absurd prices these days. And I am a dyed in the wool vintage racing guy.

Just finished doing a post mortem on the broken, highly modified  " hill climb " engine that was a throw in when I bought the Lola. Someone spent a LOT of money { by 2 litre Ford standards anyway } to build a highly developed engine. Dropped a valve and did much damage. Lots of Cosworth parts { rods, pistons ,cam etc } in the mix, but it is just a iron head SOHC engine { with really big ports }. Looks like it spent a long time on someones flow bench . I expect it put out close to 1600 Cosworth power. Dry sump, twin Weber 45's and every other part breathed on. The knife edged crank is a work of art. It may be savable with the addition of a bunch more  $ .

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I have a car friend with a late model Ferrari ..in red of course , I won,,t most likely ever own one myself , but my friend has saved and worked hard through much of his life to now have this car in his possesion .

It brings a great deal of pleasure to our car group just to see and marvel at this car .

It is a beautiful machine , and im sure the GTO mentioned in this column will give equal pleasure for the same reasons just to share the experience of actually viewing but not taking ownership of the car personally ,

we can all have a lotto win dream to own such a machine but i am so grateful that there are folks who own and preserve all these great cars for our benefit .

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Does that second-gen car still survive?  Or did GM destroy it?    As I recall, it was updated at least twice to make it the current model year when it was shown around in the 70's for several years.

Craig

GM destroyed one and still has the other one.  I've seen it a couple of times at the GM Tech Center.  I don't recall the color of the surviving one off the top of my head.

• Like 1

I remember seeing one on the street in Walnut Creek California about 1965. My friend and laid down our bicycles and were looking at it when the owner walked up. We asked him to open the hood and he did. Pretty cool.  

On 8/25/2023 at 4:09 PM, Gunsmoke said:

The '62 GTO and the early '70's Daytonas were aimed at 2 different markets. The GTO was Alpha Male, top of the food order, …

With all due respect, but I think this ^^ might be perhaps oversimplified and somewhat inaccurate assessment.

Right or wrong, but here’s how I would characterize both:

Both examples are evolutionary designs of the same  “Grand Touring Berlinetta”* genesis that started in the mid-1950s and while the 250 GTO (Gran Turismo Omologato**) was the final development of the 3 liter displacement for front engine GT layout, the following 275 GTB (3.5 liter) & 365 GTB/4 (4.4 liter) a.k.a. “Daytona” continued in same lineage.

I also think both can be considered being the “Alpha Male, top of the food order” production cars of their respective times.
As far as I’m aware, at its time “Daytona” was the best performing (handling, speed, stopping, etc)  production GT road car one could walk into a dealership and buy.

* “Berlinetta is often referred as Coupe, but since it is distinctly different than traditional Coupe body styling, some of which Ferrari was also producing at the time, I myself consider/refer/translate the “Berlinetta” being a “Fastback”.

**Homologated as a “production” car by combining previous evolution of the same (2400 mm WB chassis & 3 liter engine displacement) base design to qualify them for the prevailing GT racing class regulations at the time. 

OTOH, by the time of designing & introductory of the “Daytona” (& its predecessor, 275 GTB) international racing regulations & rules, along with Ferraris focus for its various automotive racing endeavors had shifted + it finance, manufacturing & marketing abilities of road cars had changed enough to allow larger scale production and while a very limited run of (15) competition examples of “Daytonas” were produced, the general interest in & popularity of GT class racing had shrunk significantly in +/-10 years between GTO and “Daytona”, rendering latter somewhat obsolete or outdated in that field.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)