For Sale: 1935 Pierce Arrow Twelve Model 1255 EDL (enclosed driver limousine) - $##, ### - St. Charles, MO - Not Mine

For Sale: 1935 Pierce Arrow Twelve Model 1255 EDL (enclosed driver limousine) - $##, ### - St. Charles, MO

1935 PIERCE ARROW (EDL) LIMO - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Rare 1935 Pierce Arrow model 1255 EDL (enclosed driver limousine) there are only a few known to exist!! The 1255 EDL model came with a V12 engine, 462ci. Body off restoration. This has an immaculate restoration with a few details to be completed. This is a rare opportunity to own, a top of the line, car that competed with Rolls Royce, Peerless and Packard. This is not a small auto it measures 18' 8" without the rear cargo trunk attached, a 147" wheelbase. odometer: 58000

I will only respond to phone calls.  NO TEXT OR EMAILS!!!

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1935 Pierce Arrow model 1255 EDL (enclosed driver limousine)

'35 PIERCE ARROW  12 EDL MO a.jpg

'35 PIERCE ARROW  12 EDL MO b.jpg

'35 PIERCE ARROW  12 EDL MO c.jpg

'35 PIERCE ARROW  12 EDL MO d.jpg

'35 PIERCE ARROW  12 EDL MO e.jpg

'35 PIERCE ARROW  12 EDL MO f.jpg

'35 PIERCE ARROW  12 EDL MO g.jpg

'35 PIERCE ARROW  12 EDL MO h.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Too bad he didn't put a price on it.  Unfinished restorations are tough sells.  Divider cars are harder sells.

Agree, and the two interior seem to show wires and parts not yet in place. Lovely car, though, price would tell more…

To me, most of those photos look like scans of prints made Lord-knows-when.  I'd want to see current photos.

EDLs are only for short drivers like me, although I *think* the 147" EDLs like this one give an extra inch or so to the driver over the 144" EDLs.  The 147" have long front doors and long rear doors; the 144" have short front doors and long rear doors; the 139" wb sedans (no EDL) have short front and short rear doors.

• Thanks 4

Some of the pictures are probably recent—in the photo from the rear, I think that's an Amazon box on the ground to the left—but agreed that this ad leaves a whole lot of questions.  

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I’m 99 per cent sure that this is the same car that was sold through a South Dakota VanDerBrink auction in May 2022.  I inspected this car and have about 100 pictures; I’ll post a few shortly.  They started the engine for me but it was difficult.  The car was very poorly reassembled; body panels were not lined up.  The hood wouldn’t close; you can see the hood stuck open in the front photo in the ad.  Gages out of the dash.  Many many issues.  Quality of the work was mediocre.  This would be a project requiring disassembly and reassembly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, Milburn Drysdale said:

What did the car sell for at auction? 

I don’t remember exactly but I think $28K or so plus premium.  If the engine had been documented as a first class precision overhaul by a qualified prewar shop it would have increased the value in my opinion.  Machine work was by a local shop and the engine assembled by the owner who was very experienced with post war V-8 engines.  Car had never been driven on the road and I was told the doors were hung for the auction.  Basically an unfinished project…

1 hour ago, kar3516 said:

This would be a project requiring disassembly and reassembly.

20 minutes ago, kar3516 said:

Basically an unfinished project…

That can't be right, Ad says something like only a few details.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Upholstery in the back has dirty finger prints and was installed using nails with the heads showing. can this be corrected without starting over?

6 minutes ago, kbeach said:

Upholstery in the back has dirty finger prints and was installed using nails with the heads showing. can this be corrected without starting over?

Use a long pin to lift the fabric over each nailhead before fully seated then tap it home using a shield--that's the way it's done, but those heads may be sunk too deep.  No idea what to use on that broadcloth--anyone have any carbon tet left over?

• Like 1

If the engine was done properly this car has some potential.  Probably a big "if".   I like what George said about the longer wheelbase cars have extra room in the drivers compartment.  It seems that most chauffeurs were midgets in the 1930s and all the space went in the back.   Most divider cars cannot be used by anyone over 5-9.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Most divider cars cannot be used by anyone over 5-9.

I had a 1927 RR Springfield Trouville town car and a 1937 Packard Super 8 limousine I loved both cars, ran and drove superbly BUT at a little over 6 feet tall and long legs I was in denial for all the years that I owned them that it was comfortable/tolerable to drive them. Short distances were ok - but more the 15 minutes behind the wheel my lower back and legs started to hurt.  I was used to driving my 1931 Franklin for 4 1/2 hours one way  just to attend the annual Franklin gathering each year . Or my 1941 Packard to Rhode Island to visit Bill's junk yard just for something to do . Hours behind the wheel of a great pre WWII era car is one of life's greatest and most memorable pleasures for me.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

Here is a 1936 Pierce Arrow that came from Bill's Junk Yard. Ended up at our shop after it took a detour to Vermont for ten years. It was under cover as soon as it left the yard......just a bit rough. In the end, we cut up three cars from Bill's. I clearly remember driving in the yard in my dad's new 1971 Cadillac Fleetwood to pull parts off a 1931 Cadillac that was sitting in the mud. Great fun for a five year old kid. I still have the shocks. They were 5 dollars each. Anyways, the Pierce had a bunch of good hardware and smalls on it..........everything possible was salvaged. 

version=1&uuid=70E872D8-8C1C-45CD-9E77-D18E6CB27D4B&mode=compatible&noloc=0.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAK said:

Long time since I heard of Bills, took a V12 Auburn out of there piece by piece. Had to cut the rivets out of the frame and disassemble everything

to get it out. oh, to be young again.

Junk yard paradise. It was always fun to stop in and run around..........Hard to believe it was 52 years ago. 

• Like 2

On 8/23/2023 at 5:57 PM, Grimy said:

Use a long pin to lift the fabric over each nailhead before fully seated then tap it home using a shield--that's the way it's done, but those heads may be sunk too deep.  No idea what to use on that broadcloth--anyone have any carbon tet left over?

Carbon tetrachloride! I have not thought about that in years! Used to be so common. 

• Like 1