1949 Dodge Power Wagon Woody

wyorambler

I have located a 1949 Dodge Power Wagon Woody Wagon. It is partially restored with mechanicals all done and wood ready to finish. What is this vehicle worth? Just need a ballpark price. Can't seem to find any recent sales of Power Wagon Woodies to compare.

• Like 1

Doubt you will find any comparables as this is a unique vehicle. I have seen one Dodge woody wagon built on the truck chassis, but never a 4 wheel drive Power Wagon. Most likely it was a one off, special order vehicle when new.

Condition and completeness is everything especially on a vehicle like this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wyorambler said:

I have located a 1949 Dodge Power Wagon Woody Wagon. It is partially restored with mechanicals all done and wood ready to finish. What is this vehicle worth? Just need a ballpark price. Can't seem to find any recent sales of Power Wagon Woodies to compare.

We will need some photos in order to give you an idea of what it may be worth.

Power Wagons are not a drive down the road for a fun afternoon cruise.  They were purpose built vehicles designed to handle the roughest terrain and toughest jobs.  Having a woody version would be unique in the category of Power Wagons,

• Like 3

Right you are Terry, what is top speed about 50MPH, if that?  When I first got into the Fire Department a neighboring rural community had a Power Wagon brush truck. They would put it in low and engage the pump and actually walk beside the moving truck with hoses at about 3 MPH.

• Like 1

Aka M37 in military use, without wood, usually canvas in back. Awaiting correction 🤣

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

On 8/20/2023 at 8:58 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

Doubt you will find any comparables as this is a unique vehicle.

There is always a comparable when doing appraisals. It can be compared to something of equal interest/value. It's done all the time when appraising unique vehicles.

J.T. Cantrell Company of Huntington, Long Island , NY built the wood bodies for these many times in that era. I have the illustrated sales material on them all showing them o Dodge chassis . Their factory was about 30 miles east of where I am typing this. they built some great station wagons prior to WWII starting in the early 1920s. those were on Ford, Packard, Franklin , Buick , chassis. as well as others. Decades ago there was a Dodge power wagon woody with Cantrell body on it here on long island but it was in very rough shape.

• Thanks 1

Sorry - my 2 cents worth even if this is a stalled thread.  I love old trucks and have subscribed to Vintage Trucks for many years.  Not an expert but knowledgeable.  

These are the holy grails of Power Wagons, combining a unique chassis with a period cool wood body.  These should sell for upwards of $100,000 completed and in good shape.   There is a limited but motivated buying group.  

Project with wood needed should be $20,000 to $30,000.  This means you are buying the opportunity, not what you see in front of you.  I am frankly surprised the Power Wagon crowd has not come in and purchased it before you even get a chance to make an offer.  

15 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

These are the holy grails of Power Wagons, combining a unique chassis with a period cool wood body.  These should sell for upwards of $100,000 completed and in good shape.   There is a limited but motivated buying group.  

That seems more in line for a regular Power Wagon. I think you're way low, considering that it's the "Holy Grail" of Power Wagons. As you mentioned, tho, a limited buying group because of its size. Just as in someone who collects fire engines, there are "Holy Grails" there, too, but the market is pretty small. $100,000 will not get you much of a restoration, let alone buying the vehicle in the first place. Therefore, I think your projection that $20 to $30k for a project may be closer to correct, if not a little high (of course, it all depends on how much of a "project" it is). 

Probably all a moot point, anyway, since the OP has not come back to respond to any of this advice.

On 8/24/2023 at 8:22 AM, West Peterson said:

That seems more in line for a regular Power Wagon. I think you're way low, considering that it's the "Holy Grail" of Power Wagons. As you mentioned, tho, a limited buying group because of its size. Just as in someone who collects fire engines, there are "Holy Grails" there, too, but the market is pretty small. $100,000 will not get you much of a restoration, let alone buying the vehicle in the first place. Therefore, I think your projection that $20 to $30k for a project may be closer to correct, if not a little high (of course, it all depends on how much of a "project" it is). 

Probably all a moot point, anyway, since the OP has not come back to respond to any of this advice.

You are correct. I’m not that knowledgeable about pricing for very unique power wagons. I just recognize that they are really rare and should command a premium (Woody).  I went “high” and it ends up being “low”. I’m out of touch for sure, I don’t play in that sandbox. 

• 1 year later...

Hello,

What do you think of our lovingly and meticulously restored 1949 Dodge Woody T 142? The car is currently in Switzerland. The journey this extraordinary vehicle has made from the USA to here over 70 years ago is as adventurous as it is impressive.

Best regards,

Noë

dodgewoody2021052A6063.jpg

dodgewoody2021052A6068.jpg

dodgewoody2021052A6098.jpg

dodgewoody2021052A6099.jpg

dodgewoody2021052A6100.jpg

dodgewoody2021052A6114.jpg

dodgewoody2021052A6152.jpg

dodgewoody2021052A6156.jpg

dodgewoody2021052A6163.jpg

dodgewoody2021052A6171.jpg

dodgewoody2021052A6218.jpg

dodgewoody2021052A6242.jpg

dodgewoody2021052A6277.jpg

dodgewoody2021052A6310.jpg

• Like 5

While the Power Wagons are beautiful and highly desirable, my personal preference would be to own a truck like this.  I just love the styling of this era of Dodge trucks.  Ironically, this truck might not be much, if any, faster than the power wagon, but it just seems like it might have nicer road manners.

But, it's that beautiful front end styling for me.

Well, its certainly an interesting topic but it seems the OP is just another one post fly by. Has not even visited the forums since he posted last year. 

It's ok to keep this fireside chat going but Elvis has left the building.

Terry