Bad News...Vermont Registrations/License Plates

SLDMRossi

Sorry to the be bearer of bad news, but the allowance for Out-of-State owners to register/license vehicles with Vermont plates is going to be severely tightened...effective Monday, July 3. To do so, a new Vermont "Out-of-State Registration Certification" form will have to be submitted (and signed by an authorized, home state DMV representative) which states: "I am certifying that the state of ____________ does not require residents to register their vehicles in our state."

I can't imagine any home state DMV representative ever signing that!

I learned this today when I went and got a VT plate for an MZ Baghira motorcycle...which would no doubt have required a couple of trips to CT DMV to do likewise. A woman who I somewhat know behind the VT counter said..."you just made it in under the wire." And the discussion went downhill from there. There are still a lot of unknowns, but it appears that existing Registrations will be grandfathered. But if you try to transfer an existing, live plate to another vehicle the same form will be required.

The action is the result of too many unscrupulous operators trying to get plates for Salvage Title vehicles through an easy and more accommodating Vermont process. Not a few of us enthusiasts trying to get wacky motorcycles or cars registered when places like Connecticut (in my case. at least) say...sorry, it's not in our computer. 

Oh well, all good things come to an end...

• Like 1

CT, along with other states, notes (either on the DMV pages or in some of the municipality documents - I forget which) it has the right to levy tax on a vehicle even with out of state plates, if it believes (and can be proven...maybe the owner needs to disprove) that the vehicle is garaged in CT >6 mos of the year. Thus in doing so someone may ultimately pay tax twice in a year they are so suspected. It may be that CT discussed this with VT to reduce the number of VT plates. Frankly I think ME was the state in which this was happening most recently in the northeast. Green VT plates are bullseyes in CT.... I was recently thinking of buying a small island in order to keep my current registration and avoid having to put a front plate on and restart emissions testing soon but after calculating risk/reward it seems it will be a little too onerous.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rata Road said:

Montana is the go. They promote it on their website.

Just form a LLC, costs $20 a year.

That's why so many luxury motorhomes sport Montana plates.

8 hours ago, Grimy said:

Just don't get caught running Montana plates in California if you have a California driver's license!

True. You need to know the rules of your state when you’re registering your cars out of state. In Massachusetts, the car can be in the state for 30 days I believe.  

• Like 1

30 days is the same in MD. In the past they did crack down on it in my area.  I dont see many out of state plates but the misuse of classic tags is way out of hand. If you drive your car in that state you should be paying the tax, i.e. registration. Still a lot of trailers with Maine registration (uhm, I wont admit to anything).

I have a moped that I use 4 days a year--to get from where I set up my camper to and from the Hearshey flea market fields. ( Never IN the flea markets--always parked at the gate).  Moped is a 1976 Sachs--no Title, as they were not issued back then.  I have a Bill of Sale.  What are my options for tags/ registration?  I cannot justify paying more in fees for a tag than the moped is worth--especially for such limited use.

4 hours ago, Littlestown Mike said:

I have a moped that I use 4 days a year--to get from where I set up my camper to and from the Hearshey flea market fields. ( Never IN the flea markets--always parked at the gate).  Moped is a 1976 Sachs--no Title, as they were not issued back then.  I have a Bill of Sale.  What are my options for tags/ registration?  I cannot justify paying more in fees for a tag than the moped is worth--especially for such limited use.

Get an electric bicycle. All the rage out here.

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Get an electric bicycle. All the rage out here.

I did some fairly shallow thinking about electric bicycles I have seen in use. I concluded that older people by them to practice their balance. Then I saw my barber has one. I teased him about his balance. He told me he uses it to go to the other end of town to go to the bank and grocery store and not lose his parking spot.

I told him I was glad to know one practical use for them.

To the general topic, I never have been one to justify much of anything I do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have property in three states. I register a car in each. I occasionally get stopped and interrogated about why I have a NH license when driving a NY registered vehicle. I explain that it’s incredibly difficult to switch registrations or licenses every time I go to my other residence. I now keep a copy of a tax bill for each property in the car and display them when needed. I get a lot of grumbling but no tickets so far!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Avanti Bill said:

At this time Maine registration is totally legal in Maryland for trailers.

I have been told it is but its a grey area? I suppose I should look into it further having a couple registered there (ME). I guess I could say I thought I was sending the registration off to Maryland-ME, LOL.  

True Story- Had a guy worked for me, was a lifer in the National Guard. He was having trouble with getting mail from them for something or other. Finally found out they were sending everything to his address in Massachusetts! He thought Maryland's abbrev. was MA!!!

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2023 at 11:53 AM, John348 said:
On 6/28/2023 at 10:19 AM, 46 woodie said:

Is this why there are so many drivers in New York with Pennsylvania license plates on their cars?

Could it be that PA boarders NY for about 300 miles?

Ha! I could say that here in Virginia where I live. Seems all the PA drivers come down US 17 to avoid I-95 around DC. I do not blame them either. ;)

Add to that all the military presence around here and I think some days I see more Alaska plates than Virginia plates. 😁