Ok Guess what my new toy is that is forcing me to sell my Hudson Pickup

auburnseeker

While not a replica fan, at a million bucks for a factory car I get it. Actually the one looks very close to the original. I can't stand the stylized versions. And it looks like it was well done and expensive when new. I even like the color. So now you have three Auburn's.........😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Interesting story....and very expensive when new........

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 10.54.11 AM.png

I never knew that story about Dick Passwater. He had donated a 1953 NASCAR (on the right in picture below) to the RE Olds Transportation Museum that I took out last fall and put on the track next to the 1952 Fabulous Hudson Hornet, now owned by Al Schultz and housed at the National Hudson Motor Car Company Museum within the the Ypsilanti Heritage Museum. The photo taken below was done by Hagerty Media for the Hudson's inclusion in the National Historic Vehicle Register.  I can add this to Dick's story....Thanks.

HudonvsOlds.jpg.de1a49c4d4ee7910e5901717d83c9d3d.jpg

• Like 2

Some interesting history.  

Not sure why they ever attempted the 4 seater.  Those just look wrong to me.  As mentioned,  it's a design I can't think of any way to change to improve.   Anything you think will improve it,  throws everything else off. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

As mentioned,  it's a design I can't think of any way to change to improve.  

It's a great looking car and will be a head turner everywhere you go and, unlike an original car, you can actually have fun driving the wheels off it. I would just focus on having things in good mechanical condition and start enjoying it. Great find!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

As much as I hate to,  I do have to point out in case any of you don't know, though I suspect you all do,  it's a replica. 

I was pretty sure. The tipoff was that photos were angled to not show the details to be certain. I very rarely see Auburn replicars that look anywhere near right, and generally do not like them. However, the very few I have seen in person that did look good enough, I always thought owning one would be great just for the pleasure of driving a truly beautiful car! So enjoy it a lot!

Reality can be a ******. And life certainly is not fair. Only a small part of the top one percent can buy just anything and everything they want. All the rest of us have to pick and choose at least somewhat. "Victoria" (the car) should be able to rest easy being the real deal, even though a rung or two below a real 1930s Auburn speedster. And the two cars should look wonderful parked side by side!

Congratulations regardless!

• Like 2

So I sold the Hudson today.  Unfortunately I felt obligated to sell it to the guy that drove all the way from Florida though if he had been anywhere local I would have refused the sale.  

Shall we say the equipment to haul it around the corner,  much less 1300 miles was sub par would be an understatement.  I'll post a new thread discussing that adventure.  What a day. 

If you see the Hudson scattered down 81 or eventually 95 don't let me know.  It was headed for St Petersburg. FL.

• Like 2

Back in the mid 1980's there was a company producing them in Pinellas Park, FL, between Clearwater and St.Petersburg.

I think it was called Speedster Motor Cars.   Our local club went for a factory tour of their facility and were impressed by how

they were built.   Seems they had about a dozen people working there.  A  few years later, they were gone.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Didn’t your old Cord have a Cadillac engine in it? You must be hooked on ACD cars with Cadillac engines.

POW! BANG! SLAP! ……………😱

On 7/3/2023 at 11:37 AM, auburnseeker said:

Some interesting history.  

Not sure why they ever attempted the 4 seater.  Those just look wrong to me.  As mentioned,  it's a design I can't think of any way to change to improve.   Anything you think will improve it,  throws everything else off. 

Disagree!  I wish Auburn had made this body.

IMG_2694.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm getting there.  Atleast this Cadillac engine runs.   Baby steps. 

Even in that configuration,  somethings just shouldn't be done to the Auburn.  That is one of them.   It's a little better than when they just stretched the cockpit, but again it's one design you can't mess with. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

AJ, I consider you a man of good taste, but... EW.

Matt,  I'm colored by my dad who always wanted one of those.    It is basically a Cord phaeton backend grafted on to an Auburn Speedster front end.  I do like it.

• Like 3

The third Auburn is my Daughter.  We named her after the car.  I hadn't yet had an Auburn when she came along.  Now I have 3 including her. 

If we had a son he was going to be named Pierce Jordan. 

Wonder how may Pierce arrows I would have if that had happened? ;) 

Now Ed is going to wish I would have had a son. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 2

If you want to support me, you can adopt me, and I come with a half dozen Pierce Arrow’s. 

• Haha 2

why is it that so many people speak of my drinking?……….. but they never speak of my thirst!

W C Fields

• Like 1
  • Haha 3