For Sale: 1954 Hudson Jetliner - "Runs excellent, Rare" - Sylmar, CA - Not Mine - 9/8, 8/17 & 8/11 Reduced - 9/9 SOLD! - 9/17 Flipping in Los Angeles

For sale on Craigslist: 1954 Hudson Jetliner 4-door Sedan in Sylmar, CA  -  $14,800  -  Text Conrad: 747 279 98 two six

On 4/25, Seller reduced price to $13,800

On 5/3, Seller increased price to $14,800

On 5/11, Seller reduced price to $14,300

On 6/29, Seller reduced price to $13,500

On 8/11, Seller reduced price to $10,000 and relisted

On 8/16, Seller increased price to $12,000

On 8/17, Seller reduced price to $10,000

On 9/8, Seller reduced price to $9,000

Link to 9/5 relist (same price, $10,000): https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/sylmar-1954-hudson-jetliner/7662565072.html

Seller's Description:

1954 Hudson Jetliner 4-door Sedan

• condition: good
  • cylinders: 6 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 85,000
  • title status: clean

1954 Hudson Jetliner for sale. All original Rare classic car. Only 2 years made. 53' & 54'

• 4 door sedan with continental package, new whitewall tires, fender skirts, window visors.
  • Original 202 straight six motor with dual range Hydramatic Transmission (automatic, 3 speed). Runs excellent. 6 volts. I have receipts of all work that was done by previous owner.
  • Has an Electric Fuel Pump, glass pack exhaust (chrome tip), heater, seat belts, custom license plate.
  • Has 3 small body imperfections that will need a little TLC to make the car showroom worthy, but still a beautiful daily cruiser. The next caretaker will have no major problems to deal with.

Comes with car cover, original manual and shop manuals, hydraulic jack, crossbar tire iron, fire extinguisher, and 2 extra tires.
Appraised at 15,500. 

image.png.8b06fd37aba7f2788c31119622ea2324.png

image.png.bb62bda6e0cf027f4f019bdf31f6a690.png

image.png.6328d48061a5581e8287565fa7514f35.png

image.png.aae7db9610a7bc7bb93d427eb4d3eca2.png

image.png.9d7bd974b8d9b5082cf705d5b9195d8d.png

image.png.c7f3d864d82332a72deda7aff4f43800.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Hudson Jetliner - "Runs excellent, Rare" - Sylmar, CA - Not Mine

Might be nice that since mentioning the three body areas needing work they might show a photo to allow folks a chance to see them before making any decision. I agree it is nice and certainly different from the assembled multitude of Chevelles and Road Runners that abound almost everywhere you look.

• Like 4

A nice example of an unusual car that may only appeal to a very limited (niche) market. The older audience that actually recognizes and identifies with this Hudson may see this for what it is, a somewhat overhyped and very overpriced flip. Most people would opt for a more popular (and familiar) Chevrolet, Ford, or Plymouth sedan. BTW that trunk "rug restoration" isn't helping justify the price. Was a 1954 Jet six cylinder single carb 4-door sedan really appraised at $15.5K? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A lot of true Hudson fans actually bristle at the sight of a Jet. The money spent on designing and tooling up for this ill-fated little car could have been far better spent on developing a V8 or a new body style for the existing line. Also, the "smarter-than-anyone-else" chairman of Hudson Motors at that time, Roy D Chapin, insisted that he be able to get in and out of the new car while leaving his hat on. Thus, the disproportionately high roof line. The continental kit in the rear actually helps to offset the short, boxy lines, somewhat, but it was still a car that the public didn't want.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

but it was still a car that the public didn't want.

Yes. The public couldn’t be swayed into a compact Ford with Oldsmobile styling cues that was being offered for the price of a full size Oldsmobile. 

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Hudson Jetliner - "Runs excellent, Rare" - Sylmar, CA - Not Mine - 4/25 Reduced
1 hour ago, DrumBob said:

I never liked the bolt up-right styling and high roof line on those cars. They always looked boxy and unattractive. The colors on this car work nicely though. 

From what I have read, neither did people of that era!

It looks too high and narrow.  Compare that to the 1953-54

Studebakers, which were streamlined and svelte!

1954 Studebaker--Budd body.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 4

As far as '50's car styling goes, I view that decade as very experimental. Companies like Studebaker and Hudson had both amazing and/or visionary body styles in the 1950's...as well as some odd looking styles. I see both companies as risk takers in that regard, and having some unusual looking models was result of that approach. It seems that there can never be a picture of a Hudson Jet without the obligatory negative comment about its looks. I never quite understood that perspective. To me, it just looks rather ordinary and a little unspectacular (unlike the step-down models)...nothing worse than that. It was a small economy car and it's dimensions and proportions were a function of that purpose. Certainly not as stubby as the Nash Metropolitan, and a lot more versatile. Is it any stranger looking than a Henry J? Those are the kind of cars it should be compared to, not the Studebaker Loewy coupe.

Nevertheless, the Jet's great failings (in my opinion) were that it was made by Hudson and couldn't compare visually with the other great looking cars they made at that time. It's also blamed by Hudson lovers as the model that killed Hudson as an independent brand. Those things may be true, but I think it would be cool to own a Jet. They had a straight six engine and could be driven on the highway back then. I'm hoping it's unloved status means I can find a decent one in my price range someday. 

• Like 1

The best thing to remember about the Hudson Jet is that it gave the world a base for designer Frank Spring to create the Hudson Italia sports car using Carozzeria Touring for the coachwork. But even with Twin-H on the little 202" six the car was underpowered. The Italia, having been a concession by management to Spring for having destroyed his original intent for the Hudson Jet, eventually only sold some 26 cars and that took dealers months and years to accomplish. In some cases Italias were only sold after REMOVING the Hudson lettering from the nose of the car and in some others by putting in a small block Chevy V8.
I wrote a comprehensive magazine article about the Italias back about 1975-ish. I'd have to go find my copy! I was the Jet and Italia tech advisor to the HET club several years.
The Jet was NOT a great car, not even really up to Hudson standards. This one looks like one of the best survivors out there, but even from 1500 miles away, I'd suggest it is not something you want in your collection.
  • Like 3

Here is a good analysis of the Hudson Jet program management motivation, design development and ultimate effect on the company:

Car Show Classic: 1954 Hudson Jet – A Torpedo In A Plain Beige Wrapper (Or Hudson’s Deadly Sin #1) | Curbside Classic

Jet Crash: The Compact Hudson Jet > Ate Up With Motor

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Hudson Jetliner - "Runs excellent, Rare" - Sylmar, CA - Not Mine
On 4/25/2023 at 9:33 PM, JamesR said:

As far as '50's car styling goes, I view that decade as very experimental. Companies like Studebaker and Hudson had both amazing and/or visionary body styles in the 1950's...as well as some odd looking styles. I see both companies as risk takers in that regard, and having some unusual looking models was result of that approach. It seems that there can never be a picture of a Hudson Jet without the obligatory negative comment about its looks. I never quite understood that perspective. To me, it just looks rather ordinary and a little unspectacular (unlike the step-down models)...nothing worse than that. It was a small economy car and it's dimensions and proportions were a function of that purpose. Certainly not as stubby as the Nash Metropolitan, and a lot more versatile. Is it any stranger looking than a Henry J? Those are the kind of cars it should be compared to, not the Studebaker Loewy coupe.

Nevertheless, the Jet's great failings (in my opinion) were that it was made by Hudson and couldn't compare visually with the other great looking cars they made at that time. It's also blamed by Hudson lovers as the model that killed Hudson as an independent brand. Those things may be true, but I think it would be cool to own a Jet. They had a straight six engine and could be driven on the highway back then. I'm hoping it's unloved status means I can find a decent one in my price range someday. 

I don't want to be overly harsh, but Hudson had (with the exception of the exceedingly rare Italia) no visionary styles in the '50's. They were stuck with the short-lived post war "inverted bathtub" style along with Nash and Packard. Packard abandoned the tub in '51, Nash in '52. Hudson was stuck with it until 1954!

The '48 step down Hudson, which wowed the public that year, was already becoming old hat by 1950. By '54, positively archaic. The Hudson in '55 was a badge-engineered reskin of the boxy 1952 Nash body (nobody's idea of a beauty queen) after the '54 merger. The "Hash" '55-7 Hudson's were hardly visionary.

The Jet, unlike the Henry J, was not pencilled out by management to be an "economy car". Thus, it cost more than many full sized competitors. Why have a stubby 3/4 scale '53 Ford replica when you could have the Ford for less money... and choose a hardtop, wagon or convertible instead of being limited to stodgy little sedans? They are, as you say quite ordinary. Plain vanilla ordinary.
They have always been unloved and unappreciated. They were a real tough sell when new, are still a tough sell and bring little money.

They're out there, if you really want one, for a lot less than this one.

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Hudson Jetliner - "Runs excellent, Rare" - Sylmar, CA - Not Mine - 6/29 Reduced
On 4/26/2023 at 11:12 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

Here is a good analysis of the Hudson Jet program management motivation, design development and ultimate effect on the company:

Car Show Classic: 1954 Hudson Jet – A Torpedo In A Plain Beige Wrapper (Or Hudson’s Deadly Sin #1) | Curbside Classic

Jet Crash: The Compact Hudson Jet > Ate Up With Motor

DO NOT click on these links! They'll take you to a scam telling you your computer is infected, don't turn it off, report this to us, etc. It is a total scam. AVOID! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrumBob said:

DO NOT click on these links! They'll take you to a scam telling you your computer is infected, don't turn it off, report this to us, etc. It is a total scam. AVOID! 

Might be that the warnings are a scam. 

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Hudson Jetliner - "Runs excellent, Rare" - Sylmar, CA - Not Mine - 8/11 Reduced and relisted - Now $10,000

On 8/11,

Seller reduced price to $10,000 and relisted on Craigslist: 1954 Hudson Jetliner 4-door Sedan in Sylmar, CA  -  Text Conrad: 747 279 98 two six

Link to relist (same): https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/sylmar-1954-hudson-jetliner/7653438086.html

Seller's Description:

• 4 door sedan with continental package, whitewall tires, fender skirts, window visors.
  • 202 straight six motor with dual range Hydramatic Transmission (automatic). 6 volts.
  • Has an Electric Fuel Pump, glass pack exhaust, heater, seat belts, custom license plate.
  • Good condition but still needs a little TLC to improve. Excellent weekend cruiser.
  • Comes with car cover, shop manuals, hydraulic jack, crossbar tire iron, fire extinguisher.

***PRICE DROP***$10,000***

image.png.2c5e8be421de9cc4a9b210fb354a18cd.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update info (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Hudson Jetliner - "Runs excellent, Rare" - Sylmar, CA - Not Mine - 8/16 Increased - 8/11 Reduced

Last year a Jet kept showing up in my searches, about 2 hours away and about half this price. I really, really wanted to like it. I truly did. The factory just forgot to make it special. The best thing I can say: it's the cheapest way to get yourself into a Hudson these days, if that's your only goal.  I'd take it, apples to apples, over a comparable Ford or Plymouth just for the novelty factor, assuming they were all the same price.

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Hudson Jetliner - "Runs excellent, Rare" - Sylmar, CA - Not Mine - 8/16 Increased - 8/17 & 8/11 Reduced
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Hudson Jetliner - "Runs excellent, Rare" - Sylmar, CA - Not Mine - 8/16 Increased - 9/8, 8/17 & 8/11 Reduced
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Hudson Jetliner - "Runs excellent, Rare" - Sylmar, CA - Not Mine - 9/8, 8/17 & 8/11 Reduced - 9/8 Now $9,000 - 9/9 Deleted
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1954 Hudson Jetliner - "Runs excellent, Rare" - Sylmar, CA - Not Mine - 9/8, 8/17 & 8/11 Reduced - 9/9 SOLD! - 9/17 Flipping in Los Angeles

On 9/17, 

Flipper listed for sale on Craigslist: 1954 Hudson Jetliner 4-door Sedan in Los Angeles, CA  -  $10,995  -  Call: 310 697 76 six six

Link: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/los-angeles-1954-hudson-jet/7666971826.html

Seller's Description:

• condition: excellent 
  • cylinders: 6 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 68,000
  • paint color: blue
  • title status: clean

1954 Hudson Jet!
Absolutely stunning example! - Excellent running and driving! - Automatic Transmission! - Flat head 6cyl 6 volt! - You will not find a nicer Jet for sale! - No issues! - Turn key car! - Everything works perfect including radio and all windows! - Tires in excellent shape including both spares - All original owners books and service manuals - Clean california title in hand! ***Personalized (1954 Jet) plates stay with new owner - Send a message or call for more info or to come pick this gem up - Capable of driving anywhere. Come take a look and drive it home! - ASKING $10,950

image.png.c36575a6e1e0f4e0356d75ed6cec8e96.png