1930 MARMON BIG EIGHT SEDAN $44,500

this was posed about a week ago, but I searched this forum, and it doesn't seem to have been discussed.

Lots more copy in the ad.... 

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1930-marmon-big-eight-sedan-136-wheelbase-315-cid-125-hp.1289076/#post-14825180

This 1930 Marmon is one of five known sedans to survive. It is a well equipped car with the very desirable wire wheels, dual sidemounts with chrome covers and a rear luggage rack. The car is a very original car that was painted probably in the 1980s but has never taken apart. The paint is in great condition.The grey cloth interior is original and in excellent condition. The car is well known and has been pictured in the famous book "The Marmon Heritage" by George Phillip and Stacey Hanley. The current owner purchased the car in the early 2000s and has driven the car regularly. It has been maintained by a well known restorer. The car is very solid and tight with the doors open and close with authority. Mechanically, the car is seriously strong and goes down the road with passion and strength. It shifts easily and brakes excellent. The price is 44,500.00 and is located Indianapolis, Indiana.
Contact me at: 734-730-4274 or email: motoringicons@hotmail.com

mar1.jpgmar4.jpgmar5.jpgmar11.jpgmar18.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That's gotta be a rare one.  Painted the ubiquitous 2 tone baby blue of course.  They must have had fire sale on this paint in the 80's.   Claim of interior being totally original is questionable.   Carpets are not 1930 vintage for one thing.  Overall looks too fresh to be original.  Was likely redone in the 60's or 70's and is wearing again.   Interesting design.  What is it worth?

I seem to remember seeing this one around back in the 80s. As I recall it was a pretty decent tour car at that time...which seems like just yesterday.  If it is the same car (and how many of these could there be?) it was done mechanically by someone who was pretty fastidious.  While I too am less than thrilled with the colors, it is otherwise a nice car.

Having owned a couple of Marmons in the past, I know what these automobiles are. The Big 8 Marmon is most certainly "understated". I would have zero problem with this or any Big 8.  One aside thought, in my opinion, Marmon should have used the overhead Model 78 engine as a platform for the big 8 rather than falling back to the flathead design. Marmon would have had a 315 CID overhead valve fire breathing road car. As it is, this would/could be an excellent purchase for a collector who likes big, blue, rare, elegant and proven runner.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

Love the huge headlamps on a Big 8. I could deal with the wide whites, but they should be tidied up a bit. I wonder how firm the price is in this current tumultuous time we are in? Has anyone spoken with the seller? I hesitate to begin conversation for the thought that I would try to buy it and currently, I have a full garage.

Al

SOLD 6/5/23!!!

Thank you for all of the great comments. I am selling this car for the owner and a old friend.  He purchased this car about 20 years ago. This is a great car. It has been always taken care  by a known CCCA mechanic. It starts "on the button" and runs like a locomotive. It is quite fast-faster than most any 1930 car. This is a great, solid, car.

Thank you.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

Correct me if I am wrong ( I am sure someone will !!!) but was this car once owned by Russel E. Stadt from the Chicago or Detroit area? He was a great Marmon enthusiast and a good friend but has been gone some years now.

SOLD 6/5/23!

The Marmon Big Eight carries a body designed by Alexis deSaknoffsky and built by the Hayes Body Company. Five different Big Eight models appeared in the Marmon catalogue for 1930, including this sedan.

I believe this car was owned by Russel E. Stadt. I think he was one of the people who was instrumental in forming the Marmon Club. This car is well known and has been pictured in the famous book "The Marmon Heritage" by George Phillip and Stacey Hanley.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Before this flips over to page two I thought I would comment to keep it on top!  I like the curvature of the roof line and the scallops(?) on the bottoms of the doors/thresholds.  I just can't wrap my head around the color!  Maybe if the fender and roof color was body color and the fenders and roof were black or dark dark blue, it would be more appealing.  The baby/powder blue main body is off-putting...  Interior looks lovely!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Alexis deSaknoffsky,  Ray Dietrich and Dutch Darrin are the three guys that never penned a bad looking design.  At least as far as I can remember.

I was going to include Amos Northup in that exclusive cadre...then I remembered the Willys 77 ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm no fan of the color either but this car would be a fantastic example of a work on it while you drive it car. I'm just imaging that the reaction to this car would be if it were all dark blue with blackwall tires. I'm betting most of us would be swooning.  I know I would be. Really, the car isn't that far away and man, we've sure seen far worse with a higher asking price.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...