1974 Custom Cloud

EmTee

Saw this while walking around a neighborhood where we are staying the other day.  At first it looked like a Stutz Bearcat, or something similar built on a Pontiac GP chassis.  Searching the internet led to the discovery that it's actually a so-called "Custom Cloud" and is built from a 1974 (most likely) Monte Carlo.

image.png.925afd78bd3d79de97e2d86ddebd791f.png

These cars have an interesting story, at least I think so...

http://coindispenser.com/story.html

This one appears to be wearing its original wire wheels and has the extra-cost LeSabre front bumper.  It also has the "Flying Lady" and faux Rolls grille shell, so this one pre-dates

the lawsuit brought by Rolls Royce.  Apparently this is one of 100 or so cars that were built, which explains why I've never seen one (or even knew they existed) until now.

image.png.5d29cc19438a80ee748ff7743fc4e65f.png

It was sharing the driveway with what appears to me to be a 1959 Jaguar Mark IX sedan.  So, the owner apparently likes both British and pseudo-British cars.  I wonder how many of these still exist?

image.png.fc192d2ad6e70f7a77cddd8743fa8774.png

• Like 4

To each their own, but it's hideous to me. Having said that I have no clue why this repels me and yet some of the neoclassics- Zimmer, Excaliber, Phillips Berlina- actually draw me.  I saw two Zimmers in Branson this weekend and would have totally bought a purple tux and hat to wear had the Zimmer been given to me. LOL

Somewhere in storage I have that issue of C&D.  I saw one of these in the flesh once also, no better looking in real life.  At least the fiberglass or plastic components won't blatently rust in your face like my 73 monte carlo did...

• Like 2

I usually look at something like this and can only say "why?". I have the same reaction to most, but not all, customs. Never could understand what motivates someone to take a perfectly good looking car and turn it into something hideous. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

This one doesnt knock my socks off, but it is neat in an 'Americana' type of way. I do like the Stutz Blackhawks though. I guess because I am used to driving around in a leisure suit wearing, gold chain with Italian horn necklace, Trans Am that I would love to have a Les Dunham superfly Caddy!

• Haha 2

I remember that issue and the Custom Cloud. About 50 years ago, I almost feel like it has been taken out of context. I am looking up on the shelf over me and see the Silver Shadow book. There are some not too flattering pictures of the development of that chubby little car in there.

I am not much for leisure suits. When I do got wardrobe shopping I tend to come home like a cross between Jack Kennedy and Jim Rockford. I have such conservative taste that a person once told me "You know, you have a real knack for making cheap clothes look good".

Two years after the Custom Cloud. In context.

001(2).jpg.f09fd226410c94817acb0954fabec226.jpg