For Sale: 1957 DeSoto Firesweep Sportsman 2-door Hardtop - "Rare car, Huge fins" - Original paint and stainless side trim" - "Runs great, Rides like a dream" - West Branch, IA - Not Mine - 4/7 Reduced - 5/17 New Video - 5/24 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1957 DeSoto Firesweep Sportsman 2-door Hardtop in West Branch, IA  -  $29,000  -  Call Jan: 31 nine 27 zero 76 five 0  -  No Text

On 4/7, Seller reduced price to $27,000

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/897161878150299/1957-DeSoto-Firesweep-Sportsman

Seller's Description:

1957 DeSoto Firesweep Sportsman 2-door Hardtop

• Very good condition
  • Driven 47,125 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Green · Interior color: Green

1957 DESOTO FIRESWEEP SPORTSMAN 2 DOOR HARDTOP (NOT A PLYMOUTH)

VERY RARE ORIGINAL PAINT AND STAINLESS SIDE TRIM ON THIS SPORTSMAN FIRESWEEP! NO 2 TONE PAINT SCHEME ON THIS SCARCE AND EXTRAORDINARY SEXY RIDE! THIS TAMARACK GREEN AND STAINLESS TRIM LOOK EXTREMELY HOT COMPARABLY. THIS HUGE TAIL FINNED SMOOTH CRUISER RUNS GREAT AND RIDES LIKE A DREAM.

• THIS FIRESWEEP SPORTSMAN ONLY HAS 47,125 MILES ON IT & WAS BUILT IN DETROIT. IT SPENT MOST OF IT’S LIFE IN CALIFORNIA.
  • IT’S ALWAYS BEEN GARAGE KEPT.
  • IT COMES EQUIPPED WITH A 325 C.I. MOTOR WITH HYDRAULIC LIFTERS, 2 BARREL CARB AND 245 HP. IT HAS A 3 ON THE TREE SHIFTER AND TRANNY. PUSH BUTTON TRANNY DELETE ON THE DASH. IT’S GOT A 3.921 REAR AXLE. IT HAS TORSIONAIRE SUSPENSION AND A GREAT RIDE.
  • IT HAS NO POWER BRAKES OR STEERING BUT THEY WORK GREAT.
  • THE TIRES ARE GOOD.
  • THE ORIGINAL EXHAUST CAME OUT THE PORT HOLES IN THE BUMPER. IT NOW COMES OUT THE REAR CORNERS UNDERNEATH & SOUNDS GREAT.
  • THE BUMPERS, TRIM AND BODY LOOK GREAT. THE PAINT IS GETTING THIN BUT IS STILL PRESENTABLE.
  • IT HAS SPECIAL ORDER HUB CAPS.
  • THE REAR SEAT NEAR THE TOP HAS A SEAM STARTING TO COME APART BUT THE REST OF THE INTERIOR IS BEAUTIFUL! IT HAS THE SPECIAL HARDTOP TRIMMED HEADLINER WHICH IS IN GREAT SHAPE. ALL THE LIGHTS WORK. THE WINDOWS ALL WORK WELL. THE SPEEDOMETER DOESN’T CURRENTLY WORK GREAT. THE ODOMETER DOES WORK WELL.
  • THE GAS TANK HAS BEEN UNPROFESSIONALLY REPAIRED WHERE THE FILLER NECK GOES INTO THE TANK. THE UNDERSIDE OF THIS VEHICLE LOOKS GREAT!

THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO BE CRUISING IN A SUPER COOL BIG WINGED RIDE THAT WILL GET THUMBS UP EVERYWHERE YOU GO. IT IS PURE FUN & ENJOYMENT! BUYER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR TRANSPORT. ONLY WIRE TRANSFER OR CASH ARE ACCEPTED AS PAYMENT. THE CAR IS IN WEST BRANCH, IOWA NEXT TO I-80.

image.png.5b56f882063d8fba6222e6627e6754df.png

image.png.20e5cb49c017a95b7ce1909bf2bdcbf6.png

image.png.1bb9b2316ae2bc7a8fb44da7fb19cda6.png

image.png.deccc47d5b3187c4fd5ff190a5c2fc84.png

image.png.e7e1d9c7eb85392ad1ad0058a632aaac.png

image.png.4d2d7b298f41715ad2772df6f32b27db.png

image.png.8bd66e4c64cfcb0b2cc10d271b51eb35.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=DeSoto+models+of+1957&fr=yfp-t&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmomentcar.com%2Fimages%2Fdesoto-firesweep-1957-4.jpg#id=0&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmomentcar.com%2Fimages%2Fdesoto-firesweep-1957-4.jpg&action=click

This page makes me wonder if this car is missing some trim and was painted one color to make it seem right. I am no expert on DeSotos, but the monotone is unusual. 

• Like 1

Unique seldom seen model, seller claims original paint and I think it's legit. Mopar collision book shows both monotone and Colorsweep moulding treatments on 1957 DeSotos. It appears to be in fine condition, unusual and unique but IMO after the Plain Jane novelty if it has worn off, I might soon tire of driving a non-PS & PB Desoto with standard shift. A better optioned Fireflite with a Torqueflite automatic on the longer 126" wheelbase would be much more comfortable and easier to drive. A reference book says 1957 Firesweeps were basically Dodge Royals (122" wb) with DeSoto trim. 

IMG_1247 - Copy (2).JPG

IMG_1248 - Copy (2).JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also believe it's legit. This brochure suggests that it is. Here's a page with a monotone (appearing) car with the same trim and interior, though it is a sedan rather than a hardtop. Radio delete, what looks to be mat flooring instead of carpet, no ps or pb. It was a relatively basic car.

n_1957 DeSoto Prestige-11.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JamesR said:

Oh, and I'll be about ten miles from this car this weekend...YIKES! Don't worry, I don't have the money😄. I do love that car, though, at least from what I can see.

Well you should go and take a look. Report back with your opinion.

• Like 1

I'm not going to waste the owner's time by setting up an appointment to see it. It's very unlikely that I'd buy that car. I might, however, start out a little early on Sunday and drive to West Branch - population 2500 - and see if I can find it on display somewhere in town. If I find it I'll take a closer look and maybe take a picture of any flaws not shown in the ad. And if the owner sees me and offers to start it up, well....

• Like 2

Although there is a lot of front bumper, it does seem to mate to the body well and visually fit.   I've always thought the bumpers on this era MoPar cars looked like a after thought as there  generally was a lot of space between them and the body. A nice car for its age.

• Like 2

My first car was a 57 DeSoto Firesweep I bought at Grand Spaulding Dodge on Grand Ave west side of Chicago. It had the small hemi in it and the headlights were about ready to fall out from rust! The front bumper was shiny and looked like the car was smiling. $200 that was car, license, tax and five new tires. Great running rust bucket I painted black with brushes and porch & deck enamel to cover the bondo which covered the steel wool we shoved in the holes to help hold it in place. 
dave s 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I did drive to West Branch Sunday morning, but didn't see the car anywhere. I looked around, but not real hard. Even though it was sunny, it was 34 degrees F and most old car guys aren't going to have their vehicles out in those temps. I did find the storage facility shown in the pictures but, again, the car was not to be seen. Might have been out and displayed somewhere in town but I couldn't devote more time than I did. Sorry folks.  

• Thanks 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1957 DeSoto Firesweep Sportsman 2-door Hardtop - "Rare car, Huge fins" - Original paint and stainless side trim" - "Runs great, Rides like a dream" - West Branch, IA - Not Mine - 4/7 Reduced
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1957 DeSoto Firesweep Sportsman 2-door Hardtop - "Rare car, Huge fins" - Original paint and stainless side trim" - "Runs great, Rides like a dream" - West Branch, IA - Not Mine - 4/7 Reduced - 5/17 New Video
On 3/14/2023 at 3:01 PM, 6T-FinSeeker said:

THE UNDERSIDE OF THIS VEHICLE LOOKS GREAT! states the seller.

This car has bad leak from pinion seal in the differential. Not only has the fluid blown back on to the main case of differential but the spinning driveshaft sprayed the leaking oil onto the exhaust.  In addition there may even be a leak at the drain plug as well.  By the seller having ignored the leak makes me wonder just how much fluid is left in the differential. This is neglect by the owner because this repair is not difficult to do yourself! If you don't want to get dirty than it's a relatively low cost repair at a shop!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really don't want to disparage this Desoto too much because it's a nice car that's definitely odd and unusual but the market might be somewhat limited for such a stripped down base model that is still for sale (and now overhyped) at a high price. If you're in the market for a 57 DeSoto would you rather have the green Firesweep in this thread or one of these more colorful upscale models with AT, PS, PB, maybe PW and a radio? You'd still be cruising in a super cool big winged ride that would be even more comfortable and a lot easier to drive. The heck with those special order hubcaps!

IMG_1380.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The 55er said:

I really don't want to disparage this Desoto too much because it's a nice car that's definitely odd and unusual

I agree. I find it even more appealing than lots of upscale and colorful variants, mostly because of its originality, rarity and cool color. However, the new video raises some questions. I'm not sure what I'm hearing in the audio...is that idle speed too fast and surging at times? Hard to tell with echo of the metal walls. Probably would've been better filmed outside with the hood open. I think this is just one of those cars you'll have to go inspect closely in person. Not at all saying or implying it's suspicious, just that for that kind of money you'd want all the unknowns answered first. If it's as nice as I think it might be, it could be one of those fantastic survivor cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2023 at 2:41 PM, JamesR said:

Oh, and I'll be about ten miles from this car this weekend...YIKES! Don't worry, I don't have the money😄. I do love that car, though, at least from what I can see.

You can always say you are inspecting it for a friend. This - as I have reported before- is at a “classic car” dealer off I80. Not at all in West Branch. South side of I80 on a hill over looking the interstate 

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2023 at 12:25 PM, deac said:

This car has bad leak from pinion seal in the differential. Not only has the fluid blown back on to the main case of differential but the spinning driveshaft sprayed the leaking oil onto the exhaust.  In addition there may even be a leak at the drain plug as well.  By the seller having ignored the leak makes me wonder just how much fluid is left in the differential. This is neglect by the owner because this repair is not difficult to do yourself! If you don't want to get dirty than it's a relatively low cost repair at a shop!

I met the seller many years ago. He is very pleasant but buyer beware.  He used to advertise these cars in the paper days of Hemmings. The car I looked at he said he did not know much about it.  

Who is the buyer of this car at $27,000 or name your price?  

We are not motivated to part with our $25k or so.  How about a Mopar collector with untold millions or 6 figures? No I doubt it. Those guys typically buy nice cars from just a few sources.  They don’t drive to east of Iowa City to possibly buy a 57 Mopar.  

Rarity does not seem to matter in this case.  Can that really be original paint?  I personally do not think so.  1957 Mopar paint in still shiny pristine condition some 65 years later.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, George Albright said:

No I haven’t. Figured he saw my offer and wasn’t interested.  

I wouldn't presume that the seller has seen this thread. He didn't post it here, someone else did, as this is the "not mine" forum. Also, as I said before, I think I'd want to see it in person before pursuing it...but, yes, this is a car that's very easy to fall in love with.

Thanks, Jake, for clarifying the seller situation. I will be in Iowa City later this summer...if it's still for sale, I may pm you to get the particulars on its location.

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1957 DeSoto Firesweep Sportsman 2-door Hardtop - "Rare car, Huge fins" - Original paint and stainless side trim" - "Runs great, Rides like a dream" - West Branch, IA - Not Mine - 4/7 Reduced - 5/17 New Video - 5/24 SOLD!

No surprise that it sold. Not to me, anyway. Some people didn't care for the bottom-of-the-line configuration, but I saw it as a plus...it was appealing, for some reason. Congratulations to both the buyer and the seller.

• Like 2