Amelia Island Concours 2023

edinmass

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The coolest car here.

Enlighten some of us who do not know the later postwar vehicles to well - looks like a Buick ? that possibly shared body panels with other GM brethren from the late 1970s.

• Like 1

Walt, I think it was a snowbirds car that made a wrong turn saw the beach and said that’s it I’m parking right here and heading to the beach. There were no “No Parking “ sings up. 
dave s 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Enlighten some of us who do not know the later postwar vehicles to well - looks like a Buick ? that possibly shared body panels with other GM brethren from the late 1970s.

Well, I’m being facetious. But it’s a four-door grandpa car four on the floor.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Please explain for the homebound. 

Bob, it’s cool because in that era they never put a floor shift in a car. So it’s a four-door grandpa car with a V-8 and a three speed on the floor.  I believe it has next to no original miles on it 

• Like 3

Just now, alsancle said:

Bob, it’s cool because in that era they never put a floor shift in a car. So it’s a four-door grandpa car with a V-8 and a three speed on the floor.  I believe it has next to no original miles on it 

Ok, what is it and what year was it made?

This was the first real over road trip the Pierce has done since the frame of restoration was finished in 2015. It did Pebble and won, but there was no tour that years due to fires. Today was the first time out since showing at Pebble Beach. Tour was 96 miles total, and she preformed flawlessly. Started up easily even when very hot. Handles all the parades without overheating or pushing water. So, now we need to do a clean up tomorrow for Sunday’s show. Here is a photo going over the key island bridges in front of a Model J Murphy Butterfly D/C. 

1DB53D07-F56C-45B6-BC26-7BFA716F82FE.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ed, Who came up with "Butterfly" for a body style, what features does it have that others don't? Weather looks real nice down there. Bob 

Bob, I suspect it might be the same guy who likes to refer to CCCA "multicylinder" cars... 😉😁

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ed, Who came up with "Butterfly" for a body style, what features does it have that others don't? Weather looks real nice down there. Bob 

Murphy D/C with a split rear window and lid. Big boy toy. 

• Like 2

On 3/3/2023 at 1:24 PM, Walt G said:

That is a 1980 Buick Century.  3.6 litre 231 V6. Three speed manual Trans. Make no mistake that car is exactly where it should be. Owned by Nicola Bulgari and it is from his "NB Center for American Automotive Heritage". Wonderful Museum and owner. A must go to place if you appreciate American Automotive history. I forgot and put in my application too late for the Buick class. 

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J.:

Going based on 1937hd45's comment "Very nice, I saw the car when it was white, much nicer in green. Bob "

Yes, The cars history was mentioned in the auction info I turned up, it was in the Swigert collection for 49 years, and in the auction at Hershey along with the Oldsmobile Limited. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, alsancle said:

3248FE09-BEB8-4B23-900B-04427DC86FD3.jpeg

The pedal car followed me onto the field and parked kitty-corner next to me.  Ours were the first 2 cars people saw when entering the show field.  Made for a very busy day.  That's the tail end of my 1947 Jag in front of the pedal car.  AJ was practically standing by the Jag when we parked.  Fantastic getting to meet him in person.  Didn't get to see Ed.  Sorry, no pictures...in the rush I left my camera in the Escalade about an mile or so away.  

Light rain at the hotel before heading to the show.  Jag was filthy by the time we got there.  Heavy clouds when we arrived at around 8:15.  Just enough time to give the Jag a 'Navy shower' ( spray bottle of Meguirs cleaner/polisher, and wipe down,) before the rain began.  Rained off and on for an hour or so, then spot sprinkles for the remainder of the show.  I wiped the car off several times but it seemed to be a losing battle.  Didn't deter the crowds.  Must have been 30k people with umbrellas, ponchos, hoodies, or just plain getting soaked.  Cleared off by about 11:00.   Even though the show field was packed with people, at 1:00 sharp they started directing cars to leave.  As we were on the end, front, we were the first car out.  

Blew left front Michelin on the Jag at about 70 mph on I-95, on the way home.  No damage other than the wheel and tire, and a several hour delay.  But that's a story for another day.  

George

• Like 4

23 hours ago, ericmac said:

I need to get to Amelia Island in person some day. That being said,  I really appreciate all the photos being posted as it may be as close as I can get for a while.

Sadly, this was probably the year to go. I expect some substantial changes to the show in the coming years. I'm glad I was able to participate last year and experience it before things start to come off the rails.

• Like 3