The identify this tool

halifaxhops

On 10/21/2023 at 11:39 AM, rocketraider said:

Another one of those tools I never knew existed. And I just bought some cutoff wheels yesterday.

Believe it is just sanding disks.  Get a diamond tipped disk for 20 it lasts hundres times more than the composit ones.  Lennox is what I have been using for years.

Lenox 4-1/2 in. MetalMax Cut-Off Wheel

• Like 1

Between the spring leaves. This tool is from a time before leaf springs had plastic slide strips interleaved between the the individual leaves. 

Many older leaf springs I've seen have holes in them for purpose of using this tool to inject grease between the leaves. Used to be part of a standard lubrication service, along with hood, door and trunk latches and hinges.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, JACK M said:

??

My guess in a valve spring tester.

image.png.1dcb0f6512931ab9b47bfee5060dce28.png

The Soiltest name on the crossbar suggests that this is a soil compression or compaction tester of some sort. That company also makes concrete compression testers.

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

I couldn't read that.

Its time for new glasses.

I wonder if I could adapt it to test spring rates.

Its for sale on some local website.

Depends on how it works. It appears that the two circular springs are intended to provide a specific load (possibly for some soil testing standard?) and the dial indicator measures deflection.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Frank Tate said:

Looks like part of a bubble flare tool set.

Parker beading set for making beads on the out side of tubes to keep hoses on.

Parker designed these to do field repairs on aircraft towards the end of WWII.

Here is the set in a Bakelite case.

DSCF4178.JPG

• Like 4

Bob, these gadget testers aren't terribly hard to find but the trick is finding them with all components intact.

I've used the GuideMatic tester exactly once, on a friend's loaded 1964 Grand Prix. The thing was working properly but we had the tester, so we had to see if the tester worked. It did, and the GP's GuideMatic followed right along.

My crown jewel is a Comfortron tester that I need to unearth.

I like what GM called "dealer essential tools". They do make jobs easier.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

I remember going to auctions at dealers and seeing piles of "dealer essential tools" that were still in the box never used

When all the GM dealerships were closed down about ten years ago, a lot of Kent Moore tools showed up on ebay. I grabbed every one I could find that pertained to the cars I owned (primarily 1960s-70s Oldsmobiles). I've also managed to snag a number of the Kent Moore catalogs from that period, which really help with identifying those tools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1