car show event insurance

William Dougherty

You need to talk to the provider of your liability insurance, not auto insurance. Regardless, I would also ask for an umbrella policy which is an extra layer in case there's something the building/club liability policy doesn't cover. Also, check with the national office since they might have resources.

I was involved fairly heavily in Lions for a number of years, and also live in the area. I vaguely remember some insurance that was offered. If they still publish the Lions magazine, check the ads in there. The local club runs an annual event but not a car show; I can't remember now who we insured it through? I'm familiar with Wings & Wheels for Sight that at least used to be held by the Kent Island & Queenstown clubs.

Very nice of you Steve, to check for him.  With Show running becoming ever more difficult, or at least Regions finding it more difficult to organize and execute, I wonder if there might not be an opportunity for National to find a way to partner Regions with not-for-profits?

7 minutes ago, William Dougherty said:

What does AACA membership cost for an organization and does that open the door for event insurance?

AACA membership is $45.  In order for a region to be established it requires 15 members.  A region automatically is covered by a multi-million dollar liability policy and a Directors & Officers Policy.  Yes, our regions are covered automatically by our policy for any official club event whether it is a Christmas part, car show, meeting, etc.

2 minutes ago, William Dougherty said:

The Galena Lions Club holds their show at Massey Aerodrome the first Sunday of November and it's been growing steadily. Been lucky with the weather. Would like to attract AACA cars.

I know Galena well. I have seen the show advertised havent made it yet. Looking forward to it this year. I am in Cecil co.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, William Dougherty said:

How does AACA insurance work? If Massey airport itself, as host, became an AACA member... 

Just becoming a member doesn't grant an individual

access to all the benefits of a region.  And a group or

organization (such as a Lions' Club or an airport) should

never be a region just to get insurance.  The AACA would

expect a region to be active throughout the year, for many

years, in all sorts of car activities.

If there is an AACA region near the Lions' Club, maybe

the Lions' Club could volunteer to assist.  At our own local

show, one such club has a trailer where ice cream novelties

are sold, raising some money for that club.

20 minutes ago, William Dougherty said:

How does AACA insurance work? If Massey airport itself, as host, became an AACA member but the show also remained a Lions Club sponsored fund raising event would Massey qualify for AACA insurance? I see that AACA Brandywine Region is only a 25 minute drive from Massey.

AACA doesn't offer corporate memberships only individual memberships.  As Steve said above it takes 15 individual members to apply to become a region.  The AACA National Board then has to approve the application.  When approved, the group of individuals becomes a Region.  The event would need to be an official event of the new Region for insurance coverage.  

You have also said that you are not far from an existing AACA region.  You may want to consider joining that Region and see if they are interested in making the event an official Region event.

There are a lot of other technical issues with either of these suggestions, such as coverage for Lions Club members who are not members of AACA National, but working the event.  Several AACA Regions host very large flea markets and car shows, so most of these questions have been answered.

I would recommend a phone call to Steve Moskowitz, AACA National CEO, at the National Office to discuss these options and see if it would be a workable partnership.  

• Like 1

Forty years ago our local Model A Club bought event coverage from J.C. Taylor Insurance Agency (The Classic Car Insurance place)

They also endorsed our private insurance to cover us on a couple Great American Races.  You need to ask you carriers.

I have one car that I have shown that I felt deserved special show insurance. I had been showing the car for 20 years with no problem. This I was inquiring about was about ten years ago. When inquired about the coverage from Hagerty, I was expecting the response that I got. They wanted something like $225 for what they called "paddock insurance." For a single day event! turns out that they wouldn't sell me just one day's worth of paddock insurance, I had to purchase it for the whole year! I was so incensed that if I hadn't just paid my yearly premium and been to lazy I would have searched out another company, but I'm still with them. What their policy is now I have no idea.

I winged it for that show and said never again. I just brought that car home from an extended four year stay in the LeMay America's Car Museum, for which no paddock insurance was required. I assume that there was an agreement between the museum and Hagerty. At least Hagerty indicated that my regular policy would afford full protection during it's stay. I admit I don't always understand insurance. End of vent!

Interesting discussion. I’ve pretty much decided I can’t buy any type of “stand-alone” insurance. If the Lions Club isn’t insured then I’ve got to persuade the Lions Club to “merge” the show with the local AACA region - IF AACA has any interest and No Conflict on the date! Or go Bareback?

The paradox of insurance - it seems really expensive to buy but if you need it, it was cheap.  Given the shear number of events that Lions is involved in I would be shocked if they don't already have coverage, the biggest hurdle might be finding the right person to give you the answer.  Years ago we used to do a one day show in a city park, 500 plus cars, with the local Rotary club and their insurance covered the event with nothing extra required.  

14 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

They wanted something like $225 for what they called "paddock insurance." For a single day event! turns out that they wouldn't sell me just one day's worth of paddock insurance, I had to purchase it for the whole year!

I wonder what would happen if you were showing the car for say, three months and you paid the extra annual premium for paddock insurance and then after showing the car removed the extra coverage.  Typically, you'd receive a pro-rated refund.  There could, however, be a minimum charge...

When working for the RE Olds Transportation Museum, I was paying $250 -$450 for a liability policy for our one day car show. Cost depended on where it was held, how many additional entities were named on the policy and total amount of coverage. You would want to name the organization hosting the event (Lions Club), then all the property owners. We often added coverage for a day or two before and after the event to cover for setup and teardown. We used our broker to get a few quotes but without a broker you can just call a few firms that provide liability insurance - Hagerty would be one of those.