Is this Packard worth 4 million?

rwchatham

21 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I've got a question on the "Luggage Rack Bumper", I never studied physics, and was poor in math. With the rack folded open, and a trunk attached the overall length on the car is longer, TWO inches longer with the bumper vs no bumper. So the luggage rack bumpered car is stopped in traffic at a stop light. The car behind him comes to a screeching halt and taps the bumper, an item that took up the two inches need to not hit the car. Maybe they were not popular in the day since I've never seen any in real life of 60 years in the hobby. 

Bob, they were following TOO CLOSE! Sue them. Your 4 million dollar car just became a 40 million dollar car!! 

• Haha 2

On 1/16/2023 at 5:29 PM, rwchatham said:

Is this packard really worth the 4 million asking price ?

C4344E87-F492-4A71-ADF9-087E34E010A5.jpeg

236D31D5-5288-4A1F-9D2D-5380B00C4B27.jpeg

56F51AEA-D113-4150-B56F-689C26D0F3E4.jpeg

Just think if you have $4 million clams in a money market paying 3.5% and your purchased this this car it would cost you $140,000.00 a year in lost interest to own. If that number is too large an expense, you can justify it by breaking it down to a cost of $11,666.67 a month, or $388.89 dollars a day or $16.20 cents per hour, or .27 cents per minute or .0045 cents per second to own in lost interest. That is just using simple math and not including the insurance cost or any other cost of ownership.

The question now is would you have more fun looking at and driving this beautiful car, or would you rather have the .0045 cents per second in your bank account? Just think these numbers are rounding errors for the person who will eventually own this car.

How many total V- windshield Dietrich's were built from 1932-1934 in all body styles?

Earlier I posted on what a poor presentation those pictures made for any car. Cover pulled back in a storage building next to old shelves, a couple coiled up hoses ready to whack and chip a fender.

It has all the indicators of an estate car with fantasized pricing to me.

Imagine the car taken out of the parking spot and $4,000,000 stacked on the floor in its place. Hah, you don't put let a car sit around like that.

Although I have walked around the Capitol Building in Albany, New York and seen what a dump it is. Makes me wonder how the ex-governor's Packard is parked. Maybe I expect too much.

Anyone have an official advertisement for this Packard sale? Or is it hearsay.

I think Ed's reply hits the nail on the head. Anyone that is in the market for cars in the million $ + catagory  is well beyond day to day concerns about earning  { and spending  } money. I expect they all already have more assets and income than they can possibly need for a very full life.  It's an existance that 99 .5% of us can hardly even imagine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

The people buying a car for 5 million dollars don't need to count their money.

You are 100% correct. The people buying these cars have other people counting their money for them.

I bet at the end of every month they still know what they have to the closest million, ask their advisers about market price and trends and also don’t want to overpay for anything. 

The people buying these cars in modern times run in the same economic circles of the original buyers back in the day.

5 hours ago, Tph479 said:

Just think if you have $4 million clams in a money market paying 3.5% and your purchased this this car it would cost you $140,000.00 a year in lost interest to own. If that number is too large an expense, you can justify it by breaking it down to a cost of $11,666.67 a month, or $388.89 dollars a day or $16.20 cents per hour, or .27 cents per minute or .0045 cents per second to own in lost interest. That is just using simple math and not including the insurance cost or any other cost of ownership.

The question now is would you have more fun looking at and driving this beautiful car, or would you rather have the .0045 cents per second in your bank account? Just think these numbers are rounding errors for the person who will eventually own this car.

How many total V- windshield Dietrich's were built from 1932-1934 in all body styles?

I wish I had been sitting next to you that time I took a condensed Calculus class in an 8 week summer session while keeping pace with my college party friends who didn’t go home for the summer. 

Edited by John Bloom (see edit history)

Just watched a documentary this evening on a recent auction of Marilyn Monroe memorabilia. Someone paid $4mil for the dress she wore when she sang happy birthday to JFK. $4 mil for a dress!  The Packard is the better deal IMO. I can drive the car, won’t wear the dress😀

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Tph479 said:

Plus,  you could get something very similar to it for a fraction of the cost.  Ballpark, for 10% of the cost, you could get a standard-body '34 Packard Twelve coupe-roadster.  For 5% of the cost, you could get the same thing in an 8 instead of a 12.  I'd guess that 99% of people would see those cars as identical to this — heck, probably even 90% of car guys would see them as identical, especially for the 12.  So the kind of person who is in the market for this car at $4 million is someone who is up for paying 10x or 20x more than a similar standard-body car just to have the car be an individual custom by Dietrich.  To be up for that, well, you have to have some serious $$$$.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It has been fun to following the comments and opinions among the commoners like myself as to the value of the Dietrich.  If the red one is worth 4 Million - how about this green one?  Our other option is this lovely re-creation for 1/10th the price.  This photo of the re-bodied car has to be 10 years old.  Has anybody heard or seen the finished product?  And I admire the gentlemen that took on the project.  The photo of the Green Dietrich is courtesy of Jeff Orwig's Facebook page where he was featuring the Bahre collection. Would love more period photos of this car.  

1102373676_ScreenShot2015-11-22at11_40_04AM.png.79ddca782e05d63623759a4f7d24c6d1.png268417237_ScreenShot2020-09-02at11_00_17AM.png.811ecdfaf539cc0b99784ec272b090af.png

Edited by packard12man (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Stumbled upon a podcast with Rob Myers (from RM) hosted by someone by the name of Jason Stein.  The subject was the growth of RM and his career in the antique car hobby.  Part way through, Rob mentioned that he has acquired the subject Packard that he has been chasing for over 30 years.  I spent some time looking back through this thread and it is amazing how a narrow minded subject as this can garner so much interest.  Enjoyed the reread.  Needless to say, like everyone else, I would like to know more info.  Looking forward to seeing the restoration completed.  I'm sure RM will do a marvellous job.

100_06980y-i-.jpg.000c5bd00d63c0dfddad4dbe71a3cb0b.jpg

• Like 3