1930 Studebaker Limo?

Hudsy Wudsy

I don't quite understand what I'm looking at here. It appears to be a hearse that someone has put a great deal of time and work into converting into who-knows-what? You'll note the hanging brake pedal, modified floor shift asy and wide tires.  Would someone really do all of this to a vintage hearse? Maybe some of you can enlighten me

Marketplace - 1930 Studebaker presidential limo Sedan | Facebook

Product photo of 1930 Studebaker presidential limo Sedan

40 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

The car is not as configured from the factory. The fact is that the car was recently stretched be an owner. I can get the name of the owner who did the work and when, but I doubt that it makes much difference except to an owner. The engine is not stock.

Was it a long wheel base sedan and they stretched the rear quarter out? That would explain it. That’s a lot of work!

According to the text American Funeral Cars and Ambulances Since 1900 by Thomas A. McPherson, it started life as a 1930 Superior-Studebaker Buckingham funeral coach, 156" wheelbase on the commercial President chassis.  The factory price was $3,975.00.  Superior Body Company of Lima, Ohio was the coachbuilder.

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I was admiring the gently arched roofline when I realized that it flattened out above the rear windows. I didn't think much about it at first, but I think now that maybe this body has been heavily modified. Moreso than just meets the eye initially. Could this have just been a sedan that suffered an inappropriate sort of extension?

Unless someone (likely Buffaloed Bill?) knows a particular car, things like this are often difficult to know what it was and what is right or wrong about it.

The fact is, that most companies that built hearses or ambulances also built what were known as "funeral coaches". They were usually oversize limousine-like vehicles with extra seating for family and friends of the deceased to ride together in some degree of privacy. Although most of them were never driven much, they mostly went out of style, and were left out to rot and few survive today.

That said, several things about this vehicle suggest that it has been modified greatly since it was originally built. Whether someone lengthened a regular sedan? Or filled in a proper hearse? I can't tell from the photos. But I have seen a few original funeral coaches, and that thing is all messed up in the back inside! The flooring is all wrong. The seats are all wrong. It looks to me like someone went to a great deal of effort without knowing what was right.

My quick opinion based upon too little information.

4 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

Thank you for posting pictures of the car for those of us that do not have FB accounts.

One thing that doesn't look proper is the truck rack sticks out much further than the rear bumper and the rack is angled down, something that would not have been the case in a factory build.

13 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

The car is not as configured from the factory. The fact is that the car was recently stretched be an owner. I can get the name of the owner who did the work and when, but I doubt that it makes much difference except to an owner. The engine is not stock.

58L-Y8 said:

According to the text American Funeral Cars and Ambulances Since 1900 by Thomas A. McPherson, it started life as a 1930 Superior-Studebaker Buckingham funeral coach, 156" wheelbase on the commercial President chassis.  The factory price was $3,975.00.  Superior Body Company of Lima, Ohio was the coachbuilder.

The President-Superior body as currently modified is a possible "would have could have" back in the day, for a company to use as an 'executive coach' to shuttle clients or even a wealthy individual with a large family to have custom ordered.   

A period photo of a 1926 LeBaron bodied Studebaker, and a custom bodied 1935 President here:   https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/59085-most-elegant-studebaker/page2?57663-Most-elegant-Studebaker=&highlight=yale

Craig

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

The President-Superior body as currently modified is a possible "would have could have" back in the day, for a company to use as an 'executive coach' to shuttle clients or even a wealthy individual with a large family to have custom ordered.   

A period photo of a 1926 LeBaron bodied Studebaker, and a custom bodied 1935 President here:   https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/59085-most-elegant-studebaker/page2?57663-Most-elegant-Studebaker=&highlight=yale

Craig

I always enjoy seeing the 33 President Speedway.

• Like 1