What's it worth? 1920 Ford Model T, C cab, flat bed truck.

Peter Gariepy

What very odd front wheels. I am not sure what the roof and back panel of the cab are from . But they don't look like the normal Ford TT parts. I think it would come in at the low end of what TT's are usually worth. Looks like lots of wrong or home made parts. It could be a fun machine, but I would not pay much more than what a running TT chassis is worth.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

More like agricultural implement tyres.

As guess a few TT (truck) parts.  Maybe some T parts of variable heritage and random other parts.

Scrap metal has a price per lb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_TT

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Peter, are you considering buying this? It might be fun if you want it for a goofy parade vehicle that you can haul friends or family on if you all dress up like the Beverly Hillbillies. Maybe have a still on the back too! As far as price goes I don't think it's worth any more than the sum of it's (good) parts which isn't a lot.

I have a pair of very similar front wheels and would also like to know what they are.

As reasonably as a really decent model T or TT can be purchased (Just look at the MTFCA classifieds), there's really not a good reason to put money into something like this. My opinion of course.

Edited by pkhammer
mispelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm a bit late to the keyboard here, but really can't add much anyway. The TT is intentionally a slow truck. Unless you have a suitable tow rig, getting from home to the parade will be an adventure.

Terry

I think if your first time driving a Model T is in a TT truck you would be very disappointed in your experience. Slow as molasses, a Model T car will run circles around a TT truck.. As for value, $500 to $1000...so much stuff just not right or missing. The couple people who I know who have them, they just sit in the back corner of the building.

ford_model_tt-1.jpg

Edited by coachJC (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Looks like they should have cut a few inches off the bottom of the cab before installation, would look 50% better. If I had a farm or large plot of land to run it around to pick up yard wasted, etc. it would be fun to have and a bit more stylish than a Gator. But other than that I would be a hard pass.

I know its been said here before, but be aware with the 'ran when parked'.

To answer your question-Its what YOU are comfortable with spending. Me, I would take it as a gift, but would not spend any money for the purchase.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

Have a friend who bought this really cool 1940s tow truck.    Screaming in top gear it may hit 35 mph.   He basically can't use it and it has sat in the garage for the last 20 years.  Great garage art.

On the flip side, my barber told me of one of his customers that had a late 30's hot rod pickup. Had a 1000+hp motor in it. To paraphrase Ralph N. it was unsafe at any speed. He couldnt drive the thing after spending 50k+ on the motor!

Sorry, not back to the regular scheduled program.

• Like 2

I purchased my TT a few years ago at the Mid-Atlantic Pre-War Swap Meet in Luray, Va. The owner showed me how to drive it before I bought it so that was how I learned to drive a T. It was fun putting around my house and up and down our long lane but was far too slow to safely take out on the road. I sold it a few months after buying it. My Wife and I visited the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village this past fall and I got excited about model T's again. I would like to have another but it won't be a TT.

• Like 3

If a T related project is something you are interested in Peter, I suggest a T speedster project.

You will have some driving limits, but not unlike a lot of early stuff.  Advantages:

EZ parts, EZ to work on, you can build one with basic mechanical skills but you don't have to be a fabricator.

You can put a personal touch on it, not really a hot rod but not as tough as restoring a very early T for example, with all date correct parts.

Parts pretty much available.

Easier to sell.  T speedsters, open T tourings sell pretty quickly if realistic.

Most brass folk, tours accept them.  EZ entry into a cool part of the hobby

Biggest barrier may be CA registration.  Ins would be dirt cheap.

If you don't get past garage art, the don't take up much space.

But... What happenned to tri five Chevy search?

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Don't leave us hanging Peter - was this something you were thinking about buying?   Did you pull the plug?  Did you wake up from the bad dream yet?

Terry

• Haha 1

From the pictures, it has a TT rear axle in it.  The stock axle ratio for a TT was 7.25 to one for better pulling power with heavy loads.  The engine will be wound out by the time you hit 20 mph.

There was a "high speed" 5.17 to one gearset that will allow you to get up to 30-35 mph, which should be enough to allow you to keep up with most stock Model T cars.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Don't leave us hanging Peter - was this something you were thinking about buying?   Did you pull the plug?  Did you wake up from the bad dream yet?

Terry

I saw it on craigslist and it peaked my interest.  Not sure I was seriously entertaining it, but you don't often see a vehicle that old under $10,000 anymore so I was curious.  The feedback here as pretty unanimous. Hogpog of parts, not easy to drive, nor would it keep up with traffic well.  It would take interesting yard art, but, I dont think the neighbors would be happy. :)  Was worth considering, but, best I let someone else enjoy that treasure. :)

• Like 4

If the engine runs good (sic), depending upon how "well" is "good", not a fully and properly rebuilt and a number of other variables, it would be worth somewhere between about $200 and $600. If the rear end is the 7.25 to 1 and has no Ruckstell or outside brakes? It might be worth $100 (the scrap value of the big bronze gear is most of that!). The 5 to 1 rear end can sell for nearly $1000 these days. The rear wheels depending on condition especially of demountable rims which are becoming very difficult to find in good condition, could be worth anywhere from maybe $50 up to about $500. The body is not correct, and although with enough effort and expense could be made to look decent, is basically worthless.

All model T parts seem to be going up in price and value since several major hordes got sent to China in the past two decades.

That said, the front axle and related parts has gone up the least, as thousands of them are still hiding in small hordes. I probably have enough pieces to put together five good later front ends myself! As for the TT frame? Those can often be had for free if you know where to ask. Again, literally thousands of them are still hiding in parts piles, and there just aren't that many people wanting to put one together the hard way.

There is way too much wrong with this thing to be worth more than the sum of its parts. I would say it is worth maybe $1000, $1500 absolute maximum. I wouldn't give more than $500 for it, and I already have most of the parts needed to make it much better!

@Peter Gariepy You mentioned above that "you don't often see a vehicle that old for under $10,000". If you're interested in a model T, start looking in the classifieds such as on the MTFCA website and you'll find plenty. You don't have to look far. I've seen some quite nice model T Fords sell in the past few years in the $5,000-$8,000 range that were ready to enjoy.

I agree with pkhammer, you can get a nice 1920 - 1927 Model T for under $10000.  I paid $8000 for my 1924 cut-off touring car (now a pickup) with freshened mechanicals and body and put a couple thousand more into it adding a Ruckstell two-speed rear axle and installing new upholstery and top.  I have had mine up to 50 mph on radar (once), but it is most comfortable cruising the back roads around 30 mph.  :)

IMG_5586.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1