Hudson Hornet's Early 1950's NASCAR Dominance

Gunsmoke

Today's Hemming's Daily blog has a nice article on the state of the Daytona Beach race track, and some great period shots. Lead photo is this wonderful picture of one of my favorite "stock cars", the "Fabulous Hudson Hornet". As a child in that era I remember my Dad talking to his mechanic and "car guys' friends about the big stock car races in those days being held in the USA, and in particular the success of the Hudsons. Perhaps it was the name "Hornet" that stuck with me, living in a rural area, I'd been stung many times by the little buggers. This photo in my view captures a rare time in automotive racing history, when "cars were cars and men were men", and race tracks were just a place to let it all out! Dig the clothes they wore, probably same ones they went to work in!

I expect there are guys on here who may have been at some of these events and know first hand the smell of gasoline, the sound of open exhausts, the sights of so many great cars and personalities, the taste of hot dogs and beer, and the joy of seeing their favorite cars duking it out. "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday".

hudson hornet on the sand at daytona beach.webp

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 8

I've always found it interesting, to say the least, how even back then cars racing under the perception or premise of "stock" had started to veer off from being such and in last few decades they've (d)evolved into anything but...

At least 70 years ago, they still looked fairly close to those one could buy at their local dealership.

P.S. I've always had soft spot for this era Hudsons, but only in "stock" configuration.

A friend in Europe had one for few years decades ago and it was "Fabulous" to cruise/drive/ride in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Excellent video! Not sure about the screeching tire sound effects but there are so many wonderful things to see here (cop directs traffic after crash!). I used to like stock cars but they completely lost me with "The Car of Tomorrow". They need to return to their roots!  

• Like 3

It is interesting to speculate on how the current "stock" cars being brought to the market place would perform in a real race like those held weekly on these old time tracks. Even if allowed to do some minor modifications (roll bars, basic safety measures, some performance tuning, stiffer suspensions etc) I doubt any could average 100 MPH per lap, and many not likely to survive 100 miles at top speed. The current crop of NASCAR (National Association for "Stock Car" Auto Racing) phonies can turn 200MPH laps but have absolutely nothing "Stock" about them. May be time to change their name.

• Like 1

Hudson wasn't the only manufacturer "dominating" NASCAR in the early days but the Hudson's low CG design definitely had an advantage.

NASCAR Winners:

1955 Oldsmobile
1954 Hudson

1953 Hudson
1952 Hudson
1951 Oldsmobile
1950 Oldsmobile

1949 Oldsmobile (First year was called Strictly Stock Series before the Grand National Series started)

I recently had the pleasure of being on the track (driving the Olds) as part of a filming session with Hagerty who recently added the Fabulous Hudson Hornet to the National Historic Vehicle Register. They were working on putting together a documentary on the Hornet and reached out to the RE Olds Transportation Museum to use their 1953 NASCAR as part of a track photo shoot. Hagerty has not yet completed the documentary but shared this photo with the Museum. Think of it as teaser until they complete the work and also as an enticer to stop out at the Olds Museum in Lansing to check out their 1953 Olds NASCAR in person that was donated by it's driver, Dick Passwater who passed away not long ago in July 2020.

2112808891_HudonvsOlds.jpg.03d5b16983954d9e88e0117efc5ff6c1.jpg

• Like 3

The Hudson Hornet's were a real class act. The chassis design, the full envelope body, slung down low and the excellent quality interiors. With the big inline flattie 6 and  twin carb option it shouldn't been a threat to the new OHV Oldsmobile V8. Except it was so far ahead in low slung welded chassis a L6 flathead could beat the most advanced engine design 303 Olds Rocket 88 on the track.  I totally screwed up not buying a Hornet coupe Twin H in Quebec a few years back. Was able to get a Pacemaker for a friend in Europe here in Ontario Canada. Was built in Tilbury Ontario Canada. Stayed in the same family until 2004 or so. Still had the original paint and interior with all the original paperwork still with it. Greatest dash until the 58 Pontiac!

• Like 3

It's a little hard to see in this photo, but the height difference between these two can be assessed just by looking at the difference between the height of the grille and painted area of the hoods.  The Hudson just looks so much sleeker.  The difference in body roll angles is also evident, though I don't know how much of that could be due to the Olds taking the tighter line through the turn.

2112808891_HudonvsOlds.jpg.03d5b16983954

Xander, that Hudson is such a prize survivor, looks solid, complete, never banged up and interior in remarkable condition, and love the split windshield. A careful preservation approach in my view would be worth considering, your car is such a great testament to the quality and beauty of these wonderful cars. I would be figuring out how to deal with the surface rust in some method that could match the patina of the rest of the paint still there, although admittedly, likely cheaper to repaint than preserve . Looks like your "project cars" treasure chest is full!

All my stuff is stored in Idaho. The State that I was driven out of. So a bunch of plugged in people can cover up crimes. Honestly I go back and forth with the idea of just selling all my cars and tools and equipment. And walking from an industry that for what ever political reason has, and was involved in the targeting of me and my business. And the involvement of retired military and law enforcement in this. Is so disturbing, that it has for ever shaped a persons view of some of these people. It seems until harm comes to people, in regards to the issues being covered up. I am just swimming up stream, being kicked in the face by the groomed conformity of silence. To cover and grease through a development in that dirt bag town of Star. They are all nice project cars. Have lots of ideas for them. I wait, and wait. Stunned and amazed at a system geared to push people out. 

23 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

It is interesting to speculate on how the current "stock" cars being brought to the market place would perform in a real race like those held weekly on these old time tracks. Even if allowed to do some minor modifications (roll bars, basic safety measures, some performance tuning, stiffer suspensions etc) I doubt any could average 100 MPH per lap, and many not likely to survive 100 miles at top speed. The current crop of NASCAR (National Association for "Stock Car" Auto Racing) phonies can turn 200MPH laps but have absolutely nothing "Stock" about them. May be time to change their name.

From a speed point of view I expect quite a few modern cars could hold their own with early 1950's production cars.  As far as surviving the often quite rough track conditions for a full event that might be a different story for some of the higher performance, modern cars.  More the ride height than anything else. Cars like the Subaru WRX do very well in modern , very high speed and demanding road surface events. I expect a well driven WRX would be quite a bit faster than a Hornet or Rocket 88 and would hold up very well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I think you would be very surprised. I say that with some experience.

14 hours ago, EmTee said:

It's a little hard to see in this photo, but the height difference between these two can be assessed just by looking at the difference between the height of the grille and painted area of the hoods.  The Hudson just looks so much sleeker.  The difference in body roll angles is also evident, though I don't know how much of that could be due to the Olds taking the tighter line through the turn.

2112808891_HudonvsOlds.jpg.03d5b16983954

If I recall, I came in that corner rather hot from a trailing position to bring the noses closer together for the shot. It was a fun day and both cars sounded great with the open side pipes. The photographic crew wanted to get the cars a lot closer together but I was a bit concerned about banging two one of a kind cars together should something happen.

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 2