Interesting day at the Broad Arrow auction in Palm Beach….

edinmass

The new “anchor “ auction for Broad Arrow is about a quarter mile away from my house. While there wasn’t too much for pre war cars, I stopped by Friday to toss a super low ball bid on a toy that I didn’t need. There were a bunch of great 50’s and 60’s stuff. Not the typical trash you see at the low end auctions but exceptionally nice cars that I would easily say were Pebble Beach quality. I took a fancy to three post war units…..yup, by taste is slipping a bit. These were a stunning restorations on unusual cars that would generally not get noticed by most of my friends. I will not publicly admit to bidding on them…….but was fortunate that  two of  units I liked were purchased by a good friend of thirty years………and he needed some help with them. I was hoping to be a temporary storage garage so I could actually drive them and play around with something different. We took one out to dinner…..without any plates on it. Finding the gas cap wasn’t easy after a dinner and drinks………took us ten minutes even after I slid under the car in my good clothes. I figure the car sold for 20 cents on the dollar of the restoration cost. Hell, even the electric clock was keeping time…….here is the one car from that sale I really wanted for an every day Florida driver…….has factory AC and bucket front seats. The auction was well attended and a great venue, and I expect it will really take off over the next few years. There were a few bargains, and a decent sell through. The only stuff hanging around after the sale were cars with unrealistic numbers with condition issues.

56D1C09C-00AA-4151-B4F2-7B43F076CF4C.jpeg

23B96778-4906-4E5D-B1F2-0DB849644654.jpeg

46DE378F-3A18-4139-8830-243B1F2849C0.jpeg

C7AE7C6D-6CE1-44FA-AD2A-CA02A3F98C68.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 17

Well it's official....Ed has officially crossed into the realm of old age now that he is looking at cars new enough to have factory AC! I must admit though, that is a beautiful wagon! Little details GM (and other makes) came out with in the 50's like the hidden gas filler is kind of neat. I know where to look on '56 and '57 Chevys but this one might've taken me a minute or two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What has happened to our mechanical genius we all loved? Not only riding in and documenting with pictures in a post war car but admitting he was thinking of buying one! Shock of all shocks, our hero has fallen. I guess that makes Walt G the new king of the pre wars. Long live the king. I know he is not going to fall to the dark side. 
dave s 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Behind the backup lamp, of course....:D    About the same spot as a 57 Chevy.;)

I always liked the 57 to 60 GM wagons.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SC38dls said:

I guess that makes Walt G the new king of the pre wars. Long live the king.

Me,King !!??? Yikes  Uh , no , never. My last name matches an actor of the 1930s who with a partner were very popular . They had a friend in their act that was named "The Kingfish" but that's about as close as I will ever come to being a King .

By the way I LOVE that station wagon Ed. Station wagons are one of my favorite body styles , wow that is pretty.

• Like 4

I think with age I should evolve into an old pre war curmudgeon……….for some reason exceptionally well done unusual post war cars are occasionally catching my attention. That wagon could be parked next to a Pebble first in class Model J, and hold its own. Big, blue, chrome, and asinine……….I really liked it. Maybe it’s the sobriety I have been experiencing! Maybe I should jump off the wagon, so I don’t buy one. 🤔

To be honest, it takes something very special post war to get my attention, and that car checked all the boxes………a few Crown Royals, and it would have ended up in my garage. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Big, blue, chrome, and asinine………

Works for me too. Some cars just just say it all. With the current crop of SUV's that replaced the mini vans, Ed you and I are of a vintage when big station wagons were very very popular , bring back wonderful memories. Over and above the fact you can load them with all kinds of great classic pre war car parts!  ( guess I can justify anything)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ed, those brochures are kinda confusing to me. Were the cars branded as Laurention, but sold as Pontiac?  I saw one at a chevelle show this past summer and do not recall any Pontiac badging at all.  It seems odd the brochures have Pontiac (not a bad thing, LOL) in bold if they were not sold as that.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, George K said:

Ed, If you needed a chase vehicle why not a Suburban. Unfortunately you have “jumped the shark” in cars. The holding it’s own next to a Duesenberg is the proof.

George……..the restoration really was that nice. Maybe one in a thousand post war restorations approach this level of detail. I always appreciate craftsmanship……..and the fit and finish on this car was fantastic. The unusual body style for post war along with its pure factory bling just spoke to me. At least it found a good home where it will be used and enjoyed. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, edinmass said:

George……..the restoration really was that nice. Maybe one in a thousand post war restorations approach this level of detail. I always appreciate craftsmanship……..and the fit and finish on this car was fantastic. The unusual body style for post war along with its pure factory bling just spoke to me. At least it found a good home where it will be used and enjoyed. 

Ok ... Sure. Everyone is entitled to a slip. when’s the next eye exam?

• Haha 2

I was born in 1952. I’ve tried to find a 1950’s car to memorialize that era. Only thing I would consider is a Ferrari. Out of reach. If you don’t believe me go to BaT and google Bill Miller Special. I rest my case. Always enjoy a good sparring round with you. Take care.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, George K said:

I was born in 1952. I’ve tried to find a 1950’s car to memorialize that era. Only thing I would consider is a Ferrari. Out of reach. If you don’t believe me go to BaT and google Bill Miller Special. I rest my case. Always enjoy a good sparring round with you. Take care.

Some seller is VERY HAPPY to be rid of that thing. I looked up the weight of the V12 with a transmission and got 1,322 pounds.

• Like 1

What a truly odd car ! Too bad the bodywork was so altered and left unfinished. The original version actually looks reasonably good. But the Packard 12 is hardly a Sports Car powerplant. One can only wonder how much time and money this will take to see the road again.

49 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

What a truly odd car ! Too bad the bodywork was so altered and left unfinished. The original version actually looks reasonably good. But the Packard 12 is hardly a Sports Car powerplant. One can only wonder how much time and money this will take to see the road again.

I don't know a thing about this car, but wonder if it was ever finished, so many unfinished builds out there. Does it have documented history or will it be created along with the restoration? 

Notice how the Bill Miller special has a supposed link to Pasadena and B&S? I thought the best fiction in the automotive world was being written in Clive Cussler novels. Next we will see photos of it at Lime Rock in the 40’s. Maybe it making passes at Englishtown in the 6’s? 🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Notice how the Bill Miller special has a supposed link to Pasadena and B&S? I thought the best fiction in the automotive world was being written in Clive Cussler novels. Next we will see photos of it at Lime Rock in the 40’s. Maybe it making passes at Englishtown in the 6’s? 🤔

I need to qualify the remarks about 1950’s cars. I did own two Muntz Jets. Gave them both away after sinking a lot of time and some money in them. The guys are still working on the last I heard. Not as bad as the Bill Miller special but close.

On 11/22/2022 at 3:50 PM, edinmass said:

Now that is funny stuff, Lime Rock in the 1940's was an active stone quarry. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Now that is funny stuff, Lime Rock in the 1940's was an active stone quarry. 

My point exactly……..the manufactured stories get better and better each year. 

• Haha 1